Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Thumbs up Forfeit & Quit Button a easy solution to current quitting problems?

Dear: Community

Been playing off & on in my free time since the very ending of the last patch, not great just learning my way so far. Currently sitting around a 250 rating and I don't really know about the rest of you but it's madding to see players constantly quitting either 1.) when they don't get a good starting hand 2.) when the opening few turns have resulted in a non-favorable outcome for themselves. They do this knowing we'll see the "too short to gain xp" screen basically wasting the time invested while saving them from having to play a difficult match.

This has been happening to me alot lately and it's very annoying. I just got in a match against a player named "noshimo" who just dropped right away, I re-queue and get matched against noshimo back to back right again, I guess he didn't have anywhere to go but maybe he's playing on an iDevice or something an pressed the wrong button. After all I play on my phone from time to time, I can see how people could dump a game on accident or even perhaps just get a phone call right in the middle. We get a few rounds in, I setup my first opening combo that I generally get people to throw away a decent card on then allowing me to open up for between four-seven damage and what do you know right after falling victim to it noshimo quits... match to short to gain xp.

This has really started to happen more an more as I've progressed a little bit in rating, specifically since the resets in the new version. I guess my question would be why isn't there a two button system; a forfeit which goes to an automatic loss & a quit/goodbye button that works on the current system. Now I ask not just the community but the developers to hear me out on this, if you imposed a time penalty of say five minutes on the quit/goodbye button then anyone looking to cheapen the system or get around having to play a solid game could only pull this shenanigans once every five minutes or twelve times an hour. This creates an acceptable buffer zone for people on their phones when they don't mean to but accidentally press a button or say actually receive a phone call, to make this possible it would also be the penalty for simply timing out through the inactivity rule.

On the other hand, if you're new to the game, truly don't care about your rating, or heaven forbid might actually be able to stand up and appreciate a real loss by clicking forfeit hoping to get a better game next time then all of these situations are honorably taken care of through the use of a new Forfeit button. With no rewards & an the appropriate loss in rating it would still allow for instantaneous back to back matches to be played.

I really like what's going on here and from a marketing point of view think you'll be pretty successful for all those involved but from a players point of view every time somebody abuse's something like this it makes me question why I'm spending my time. I understand there's amazing luxuries to a digital format over traditionally playing collectible card games, like say the ability to actually find people to play against but wow do I miss the ability to stare people in the face when shenanigans are about!

Thoughts or comments?

'Goblin
    Last edited by WhiteGoblin; 04-28-2011 at 02:03 AM. Reason: spelling errors

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I think it is a good idea, I read this same suggestion in the past, and I hope it will be implemented.
    I think that the game would improve a lot if they started smoothing important details about this, and fixing various network exploits / stability issues we are facing on 1.25
    We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice.
    *** Yaemon - Undead Warchief of A1 Alliance ***
    This is my First SE Tournament Report

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I don't understand the difference between your two buttons whatsoever. As it is now if you leave at even turn one you get a loss and lose ranking. So whats the point in having a second button that does the same thing? You want the forfeit button to give rewards to the winner? Then people will just abuse that as well.

I think there is no point any of this. If you want a penalty system implemented then just leave the one button and add the 5 minute rule. Unless I'm missing something you want 2 buttons with the same function.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by rumsey View Post
    You want the forfeit button to give rewards to the winner?
    Yes I do, that way the people who are on the other end of this will actually get something for their time getting tossed. Also functionality wise it would be nice after the match or during the results screen to know if the other player dropped or honorably submitted/forfeited the match.

Then people will just abuse that as well.
    This might be true at the lower rankings but I'd assume that once any rating of consideration was achieved people wouldn't be getting placed against accounts they just made to loose games against themselves. It would take a long time an exponential amount of loosing games across new accounts to keep bumping your first one into any actual place of importance. There for it wouldn't really apply to serious or even semi-serious players, but lets keep in mind I did just start out using the word assume which we all know what that makes.. right? I could very well be wrong an maybe just instituting the timeout penalty is the best option, though it's nice to see discussion so quickly after posting this.

Have a great evening everybody, /cheers

'Goblin

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Out of six attempted games this morning I had three quits; twice at the very beginning, once after a few rounds in. (once again after an opening mistake on their part) I've been playing a Gwen deck originally about 45 cards now down to a dreaded 30 card deck which I understand is unpopular to play against but is anyone else having this bad of a ratio trying to pickup solid games to play? Currently rated 286, hell I even got matched against another 30 card Gwenneth player this morning an they were one of the instant quits.

Have a great day everybody,

'Goblin

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think we should just remove the "match was too short to gain exp nonsense". Ok maybe keep it for XP and Gold, but certainly not for rating. If I'm way ahead by turn 4 and you quit I should definitely get something.

And the it will open the game for abuse BS excuse doesn't apply. If you're gonna abuse the system how long does it take to get to 5 turns and quit (if you're playing an alt account). It's not like they'll be saving all that much time, even if such a scenario were possible.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by crazygambit View Post
    I think we should just remove the "match was too short to gain exp nonsense". Ok maybe keep it for XP and Gold, but certainly not for rating. If I'm way ahead by turn 4 and you quit I should definitely get something.

And the it will open the game for abuse BS excuse doesn't apply. If you're gonna abuse the system how long does it take to get to 5 turns and quit (if you're playing an alt account). It's not like they'll be saving all that much time, even if such a scenario were possible.
    Who cares about buffing themselves, griefers will just join games and quit over and over to boost other random people's score and F up the whole ranking thing. It makes much more sense just to ban someone for 5 minutes. For every turn thats passed before they quit they get another minute. If they quit on turn 4, they get a 9 minute ban. That will stop this simple enough.

BTW: If the game goes to 5 turns you get XP and gold for the win, it isn't based on time its based on turns.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Who cares about buffing themselves, griefers will just join games and quit over and over to boost other random people's score and F up the whole ranking thing. It makes much more sense just to ban someone for 5 minutes. For every turn thats passed before they quit they get another minute. If they quit on turn 4, they get a 9 minute ban. That will stop this simple enough.

BTW: If the game goes to 5 turns you get XP and gold for the win, it isn't based on time its based on turns.
    I'm well aware of that. So by the same logic what is stopping griefers with doing what you suggested, only after the 5th turn? If they just skip their turns it won't take them very long. You fail to realize that if they keep doing this their rating will be very low, thus they won't contribute much points (if any) to the pool.

So it makes much more sense to just give rating points for short matches, instead of implementing convoluted bans, that won't mean anything if you keep getting different opponents quiting on the first 4 turns.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I disagree completely. Why you should be rewarded the same win XP on turn 2 or 3 because someone got a phone call, network connection dropped, or they just plain left as I got for battling an Elementalis tooth and nail for over 30 minutes. That's crap, frankly.

You don't deserve a reward because someone wasted 1 to 2 minutes of your life, but they deserve a 5-10 minute ban. Just because someone does something they should be punished for doesn't mean you deserve to be rewarded.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You should be rewarded because disconnection should be a loss.