Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'd say they are the TO, they decide. Looks like a fair system to me. You can't please everyone.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    Considering the whole discussion might be moot (hopefully) when the final numbers are in, I can't justify devoting any more of my time to discussing this pros and cons of my approach versus others.
    Very mature approach from the OOPS, and I am still waiting for reasonable arguments from your side; apart from "No human being can handle fractions" and "Latecomers will surely spend 500SC and play in ugly timezones just hoping to manipulate the numbers".
    What you don't realize is that you opened signup with a clear rule: "specific number of players that can qualify from each regional will be proportional to number of entrants and will be confirmed at the end of round 1", which doesn't leave much room for misconstruction. Then you let people spend crystals and only in the middle of signup phase you add a non-sense rule.
    That's an honest point of view from a player who likes fair competition and can only find it once per year when Wulven wakes up and hosts World Cup. I don't know why it's so hard to see how you can piss off good players by repeatedly changing rules, sometimes with bizarre ones. You may be alone organizing all the stuff, but I can only care about that to a little extent; Wulven Studio will spend some money and crystals for WC, putting some effort into that is in their interest too after all.

Quote Originally Posted by bobrossw View Post
    Seems irrelevant to me...my goal is to do well and/or win, not to barely qualify. I'll take barely qualifying if it comes to that, but really not worth arguing about now. In the end, it won't be the people who barely made the cut-off who win the WC anyway. It's like future olympians arguing that the bronze medal isn't shiny enough.
    Brazil suffered as hell and had to grab a victory during last matchday in order to secure a spot for 2002 soccer WC, but it's not that they didn't win World Cup. Qualification rounds only serve to restrict number of players in order to host an easier final phase, but acting poorly or greatly there doesn't really count for the final outcome. In the final phase you will find a different meta, different opponents, different luck... so people who barely made the cut-off have the same chance to win than people who won regionals.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    In essence, Wulven is giving you a free shot at a big prize. Gondo already said something about it being well worth the 500 sc entree. I am happy to buy in for a measley $5.
    Ive been away for awhile now playing other games, but have stayed somewhat in touch with SE and I just have to say to some of you who have bitched about tiny little issues like decimal places for gawds sake....YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW CHEAP IT IS TO PLAY THIS GAME AT A COMPETITIVE LEVEL. Hands down this is the most F2P DCG on the market. Cut him some slack. He is most likely doing all this organizing by himself.
    IGN A1 WrathOfCroft

The Unique Never Assimilate

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandevmonium View Post
    Very mature approach from the OOPS, and I am still waiting for reasonable arguments from your side; apart from "No human being can handle fractions" and "Latecomers will surely spend 500SC and play in ugly timezones just hoping to manipulate the numbers".
    What you don't realize is that you opened signup with a clear rule: "specific number of players that can qualify from each regional will be proportional to number of entrants and will be confirmed at the end of round 1", which doesn't leave much room for misconstruction. Then you let people spend crystals and only in the middle of signup phase you add a non-sense rule.
    If you want to drop out and have the 500 SC refunded then that can be arranged. That offer's open to everyone before sign-ups close, by the way. Just PM me in-game (Gondorian) to confirm, from the account that is signed up.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Ok, that's an offer I cannot refuse, considering I signed up for a different event from the one is going to be held. Pm sent.

Europe Regional (Winter 2012) Champion jacqui's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by bobrossw View Post
    Seems irrelevant to me...my goal is to do well and/or win, not to barely qualify. I'll take barely qualifying if it comes to that, but really not worth arguing about now. In the end, it won't be the people who barely made the cut-off who win the WC anyway. It's like future olympians arguing that the bronze medal isn't shiny enough.
    I agree with this general sentiment. 1 spot here vs there is pretty much irrelevant. Not worth getting panties in a bunch.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Ok, that's an offer I cannot refuse, considering I signed up for a different event from the one is going to be held. Pm sent.
    you are really backing out of this because of that? wow.

and what i was saying, was to still do the proportional thing, but have 27 spot for the regionals and 4 for the wildcard. the 27 would of made the proportional figuring easier.
    lil dark riding hood Queen of A1 Evolution in Theory
    Alliance One recruitment thread
    RED
    my EPIC videos
    Evolution in Theory
    SE Card Price Guide - My Deck Building Guide
    all my decks together
    owner of Earthen Protector flavor text
    Caitlyn™: collecting rage quits since 2011

Evolution in Theory

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caitlyn0 View Post
    and what i was saying, was to still do the proportional thing, but have 27 spot for the regionals and 4 for the wildcard. the 27 would of made the proportional figuring easier.
    You're still quite likely to get fractions in the result.

The exact proportional slots would currently be:

29*A/(A+B+C)
    29*B/(A+B+C)
    29*C/(A+B+C)

Compared to:

27*A/(A+B+C)
    27*B/(A+B+C)
    27*C/(A+B+C)

I think actually the fact that they would likely never be exactly proportional, due to us having whole human beings involved, should have been understood by everyone from the outset. Even with my approach of giving any spare slot to the biggest, it's still proportional, just not exactly proportional because it can't be when there were fractions involved.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    sorry man but your arugment is weak at best, okay so 1-2% less chance to get in, perhaps, but the fact is if you do well u will get in if you dont you wont. i see where your coming from round to the nearest number, but he made the rules clear, the larger pool leaves more people you have to beat so it may end up being more of an advantage in the smaller pool. your honestly just splitting hairs and really shouldent be and issue.
    TJ Burn

CotC Sealed Deck Champion busti's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It's definitely not a big deal, I just see a clear right and wrong ruling in this case. I guess i'm in the minority though
    A1 alliance - Evolution in theory