Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Inializing forever and card loading

I just wanted to say that I’m a fan of the PC client. I had thought a client was needed for a long time, and it was the only reason I started playing again. All of my play is done through it.

That being said, I’ve run into a few annoyances. The amount of screens/prompts/hangups necessary to bypass is frustrating:

- Since a lot of folks need to run in Admin, you have the initial UAC prompt
    - The launcher then runs (and fails for me about a third of the time)
    - Windows ‘Open File’ security warning (not your fault, but still another step)
    - The Configuration screen (could this be integrated in the launcher? I don’t see much reason to launch this every time the game runs.
    - ‘Play’ screen with the backdrop (seems unnecessary)
    - Latest News (Duplicate information that was on the launcher). Here is easily my biggest issue.

The Initializing seriously fails about 60% of the time for me. The only way I can successfully try again is to close the entire game, and start from scratch. I can deal with clicking through screens, but the failure to initialize several times in a row means I just give up. I might have to try 3-4 times before it passes this stage. I have tried many configurations (resolution, windowed mode, etc.) The problem still occurs. (Windows 7 x64, fully patched)

- The ad that sometimes appears

I realize these are not insurmountable obstacles, and are largely annoyances that aren’t encountered more than a few times a day – but all of them are barriers to people accessing your game. It sometimes takes me upwards of 5-10 minutes to get a successful login from the above.

After that, my next major complaint would be how long it takes to load cards. I have let the game build its cache. I have cleared the cache and let it run again. I have tried the repair option, let it re-cache… but cards still take a crazy amount of time to load. Many times while playing in a match, the opponents played cards won’t load until I have about 5 seconds left in my turn. I have misplayed several times because I thought an item was a trap (because all I see is a card back). To me this is a game-breaker.

The client also needs to reload the cards if you run any filters in the deck builder. Sometimes taking an extra minute or more. I have resorted to not even using the filters to avoid this issue.

I have a reliable 60 Mb connection with decent latency, so I can only assume these to be client/server related issues.

TLDR; If you were to fix these two issues (Initializing forever and card loading) you would make me a happy PC user.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    For the 60% issue ...

Have you tried using the 'Download and Repair' button on the Launcher screen? I don't see you mention it. I've not personally seen this issue myself (I don't use PC), but have heard that 'Download and Repair' has helped some people.

As for all the steps you need to go through to start, there was another thread about this that I'll dig up because I know a few people already replied about that.

EDIT: Here is that thread: http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....-play-the-game

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hi Gondorian! Thanks for the reply.

I've tried the repair option once, but I'll give it a second shot and report back.

I didn't notice that a thread had already been submitted concerning the launcher steps, so thank you and sorry at the same time!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    A follow-up.

The second repair seemed to have a positive impact. Instead of getting stuck at initializing 60% of the time - it has dropped to more like 5%, so very manageable now! Thank you!

The cards still take a while to load while browsing, building decks or playing others. I didn't notice any changes there. I'll update again if I do.