Close

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    The fee for the multi-week swiss event is geared towards avoiding the situation where people sign up, fill up the bracket and then don't show up.

The biggest issue with this format last time in 2012 was people failing to play their matches and then us having to give lots of 4-0 auto-wins, which devalue results people have actually fought for. Whilst it is nice to open to everyone for free, whether they feel like playing their games each round or not, we have to put actual competition above that.

The other issue with no fee and catering for first-come first-served is that it just means people will sign up just in case without any firm intention to play.

Rest assured, everyone who plays all their rounds in the swiss will get a prize worth more than 500SC.
    I think its a great idea to filter out the folks who don't show up and give opponents auto wins. Is an entry fee the answer, maybe, maybe not? However it is mentioned that everyone completing all of their rounds in swiss will receive prizes worth more than 500sc.

I like this idea so you lose SC upfront, but as long you don't drop from tourney when you have no chance of moving onto next round you'll be compensated with the prize. Any hints at what the prizes are? Perhaps exclusive sleeves, pick a card, foil prize packs... I can speculate all day!
    EveryThing Changes

"The difference between the possible and the impossible lies within a persons determination" -- Tommy Lasorda

Check out my decks and others at Shadowera.net. Shadowera's #1 Super Fan Site!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Good thing everyone complains about a whopping $5 entry fee for a world championship tournament... I've played in dozens of CCG tournaments, and I can't think of any that had no entry fee - ESPECIALLY something the size/equivalent of the world championships.

"Anyone who isn't sitting on bunch of SC..." Heh, like $5.00 is some small fortune.

FIVE. DOLLARS.

FFS.
    Last edited by BlanketEffect; 09-23-2015 at 12:16 PM.
    -Doctor of Philosophy, A1 Alliance - Evolution in theory
    Original designer of the Serena Superdraw® archetype; connoisseur of all things un-meta

Santa Bomb ©2011, Lamb Slam & Feedbomb ©2012 - All rights reserved

Zaladar - ZTC 3.0: The Feedbomb Dynamo <-- An iconic deck in Shadow Era history - SE v1.5

Listen to past episodes of State of the Era: a dialogue on all things Shadow Era, brought to you by Alliance One

We are all one mind, capable of all imagined, and all conceivable.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by BlanketEffect View Post
    Good thing everyone complains about a whopping $5 entry fee for a world championship tournament... I've played in dozens of CCG tournaments, and I can't think of any that had no entry fee - ESPECIALLY something the size/equivalent of the world championships.

"Anyone who isn't sitting on bunch of SC..." Heh, like $5.00 is some small fortune.

FIVE. DOLLARS.

FFS.
    Exactly! I can't believe people are complaining about $5.. actually its not even that, because you can get crystals for free via various means.

Reminds me of an old song lyric: "My album is 10 dollars, you act like its 10 G's. This food for thought costs the same as two number 3's, so at ease with that broke stuff!"

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    @Gondorian, I think this is the first time the word "Online" has been used in reference to a WC.. does this mean you'll be doing an official physical tournament at some upcoming convention somewhere? Or was there already one at Gencon earlier this year?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    1. Watch ads for 100sc
    2. Buy 400 sc for 2$
    3. Profit

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Completely agree. I do MTG tournaments every week, and it costs 5$.
    This is a world championship and we are complaining about those 5$. Really??
    I also hope that featured tournaments in 3.0 will have a 100/50 sc entry.
    We pay for turnaments -> Bigger prizes -> SE earns funds and popularity -> More tournaments and so.
    The sky is the limit!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I also agree with the idea of paying a deposit and get it back at the end. But as others said there are some issues on this. Although the amount is very low, there are some ppl who can't or don't want or are forbidden to pay money for a game. And since you can't get the money back as money, this can't be changed by your prize return. Eg any teen without his own money who doesn't want to ask his parients for money and this is why he plays SE because it is free.
    The other concern is what happens if someone can't play one round? He might be busy with RL or something comes up. 7weeks is so long that anything can happen. And time difference can cause problems for consecutive weekends. Will these ppl get still some prizes back?
    Devoted Protector of the Phoenix's Ashes
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Bounty Price series: The mercenary challenge | The toll bridge | The Conq's tea
    Other tournaments: Battle of Ages | The Fighting Buddy | The War Games
    BP Bobbypim's expansion: Dwarven Aid | Undead Siege | Viking Storm | Coming of Dragons
    Useful links: Colosal's guide for TO

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buqs View Post
    I think its a great idea to filter out the folks who don't show up and give opponents auto wins. Is an entry fee the answer, maybe, maybe not? However it is mentioned that everyone completing all of their rounds in swiss will receive prizes worth more than 500sc.

I like this idea so you lose SC upfront, but as long you don't drop from tourney when you have no chance of moving onto next round you'll be compensated with the prize. Any hints at what the prizes are? Perhaps exclusive sleeves, pick a card, foil prize packs... I can speculate all day!
    OK. I can confirm now that all players who complete all their rounds in the S2H4G swiss, will receive 5 digital packs of Lost Lands boosters just for participating. Other prizes are still to be confirmed. What I wanted to ensure for now was that people know when it is and what is involved.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    While I agree w the spirit of your post, Holy, my only retort to "what happens if you can't play the whole way through?" is "Sorry, tough break."

If I join a local store tourney, and halfway thru the fifth round I have an emergency and have to leave the tourney, guess what. I'm out of the tourney, and no refund.

That's life, buddy.

Secondly, kids who don't have their own money... maybe. But I've never seen a shortage of teenagers at a MTG Pro Tour Qualifier.
    -Doctor of Philosophy, A1 Alliance - Evolution in theory
    Original designer of the Serena Superdraw® archetype; connoisseur of all things un-meta

Santa Bomb ©2011, Lamb Slam & Feedbomb ©2012 - All rights reserved

Zaladar - ZTC 3.0: The Feedbomb Dynamo <-- An iconic deck in Shadow Era history - SE v1.5

Listen to past episodes of State of the Era: a dialogue on all things Shadow Era, brought to you by Alliance One

We are all one mind, capable of all imagined, and all conceivable.