Close

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by segalion View Post
    Pop up does not pay SC any more nor does tournament
    Still it might be good to consider paying in payment. Since you can grind until 100 SC maybe there can be arrangement plan so anyone hat wants can grind SC
    hm? Since when? I was pretty sure people ran tournaments with SC as the prize. I'll admit I haven't paid any attention to it lately, but it would greatly surprise me if that was the case.

edit: I see, the standard prizes from wulven have changed to prize packs only and many of the recent tournaments don't mention SC at all. Consider me greatly surprised.

While this does change my view slightly, I'm still in the camp the entry fee is a good idea.
    Last edited by Demnchi; 09-23-2015 at 06:24 PM.
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I agree the entry fee is a good idea. Participating in the last WC, you could see a lot of no-shows and people dropping out the last 2 rounds and that really messed up the Swiss rankings. Of course not everyone has 500 SC for a WC event, and that will make it hard for new players to join this year. That's my only concern.

But imo the entry fee has more advantages than disadvantages. LL booster packs are a great participation prize, and if it ensures that all rounds are played for this really long format with no dropouts, then I'm all for it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Will the ingame tournament system be ready for this years world championships?

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marundal View Post
    Will the ingame tournament system be ready for this years world championships?
    I don't believe so. All games will be organised via Unrated custom matches, using an external bracket hosted on Challonge.com or elsewhere.

Europe Regional (Winter 2012) Champion jacqui's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think an entry fee is fine. Anybody who has a chance of winning probably already has the sc, players get something in return for participating irrelevant of performance, and if someone doesn't have a couple bucks to enter maybe they shouldn't be entering anyway.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I like it. But trying to keep players motivated for 7 weeks will be tough.
    Evolving Through Change

"I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met Jasmine. We ate lobster, drank Piņa Coladas. At sunset we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over and over and over?"

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    The fee for the multi-week swiss event is geared towards avoiding the situation where people sign up, fill up the bracket and then don't show up.

The biggest issue with this format last time in 2012 was people failing to play their matches and then us having to give lots of 4-0 auto-wins, which devalue results people have actually fought for. Whilst it is nice to open to everyone for free, whether they feel like playing their games each round or not, we have to put actual competition above that.

The other issue with no fee and catering for first-come first-served is that it just means people will sign up just in case without any firm intention to play.

Rest assured, everyone who plays all their rounds in the swiss will get a prize worth more than 500SC.
    Thanks for clearing this up... i totally dig that reason.
    "Learn , Improve , Succeed"

Alternate Reality Champion
    Five Heroes Champion
    The Gunslinger II Champion
    World Championship Wildcard Qualifier 2013 Champion
    World Championship 2013 Top 16
    Asia Regionals 2014 Runner-Up
    World Championship 2014 3rd Runner-Up

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by huynguyenquang View Post
    As there are only a handful of people on telegram, i believe WC wouldnt become overcrowded even if it's free.
    As if missing delivery milestones wasn't enough to lose people's interest in competing in SE...
    I'd hardly call it a handful.

Very glad to see an entry fee. This allows Wulven to accommodate prizes to all participants who complete all rounds. The amount of drops that occur after each round was very frustrating.
    Proud Member of Team Juggernauts

Top 8 finish in WC 2017
    2nd place finish in WC 2016
    10th place finish in WC 2015
    Top 32 finish in WC 2014

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm absolutely fine with an entry fee. I'm thinking most players I'd want to be playing against have 500 SC to spare, as you get it in prizes for things like playing well and often. It will keep newer players out unless they want to fork over some money...but I just forked over some money myself for a LL preorder anyhow because it's a good game and you can play it for free, so what's the big deal in spending a bit of money on it once in a while?
    IGN: ETC BobRoss
    "BobRoss puts the 'bRo' in Boss" - Gondorian
    Proud Member of ETC - Errors Terrors & Carers
    Europe/Africa Regional Champion 2014 (also top 8 in World Championship)
    See some videos with commentary of some of my Serena Games on Shadowera.net
    I also do a video show with TJ SamuelJ - Bob and Sam Trollin it Up!

World Champion 2015
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Fury View Post
    I agree the entry fee is a good idea. Participating in the last WC, you could see a lot of no-shows and people dropping out the last 2 rounds and that really messed up the Swiss rankings. Of course not everyone has 500 SC for a WC event, and that will make it hard for new players to join this year. That's my only concern.

But imo the entry fee has more advantages than disadvantages. LL booster packs are a great participation prize, and if it ensures that all rounds are played for this really long format with no dropouts, then I'm all for it.
    Aye!
    General of Triumph
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn