Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hero pets

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Hero pets

After my thread about hero mounts, the next natural suggestion is Pets! So what makes a pet a pet?
    • Played into the Ally slot and have the "Pet" card type.
    • The hero protects their pet so enemy ally attacks(combat) can't target them.
    • One pet, per hero, at a time.
    • Pets have health but no attack rating.
    • Feed them 1 resource, per turn, and they gain 1 Shadow Energy.
    • They have an innate ability that costs Shadow Energy.
    • You can catch them with a Pokéball.

As always, your comments, suggestions, and flames are welcomed.

Onto the Pokémons:

Name: Black Cat
    Card Type: Human Rogue Pet
    Cost: 1
    Stats: 0/1
    Effect: 1 Shadow Energy: Distract target ally for the next turn, preventing them from attacking, as long as they're not attacked.
    Flavour: "Hereee, kitty-kitty.."

Kittyyyyyyyyy

Name: Mystic Mushroom
    Card Type: Human Mage Pet
    Cost: 1
    Effect: 3 Shadow energy: Consume Mystic Mushroom and your hero gains 3 Shadow Energy.
    Flavour: Never underestimate the power of mushrooms!

A good 1-drop for Human Mages that usually plays nothing on their first turn. At the earliest, this can be used on round 4. For 1, it's also good distraction to save some damage from the glass cannons.

Name: Battle Hound
    Card Type: Human Warrior Pet
    Cost: 3
    Stats: 0/3
    Effect: 2 Shadow Energy: Give hero combat advantage, adding 2 damage to your hero's attack.
    Flavour: Fear not thy enemy's blade, but his hound.. and its voracious teeth.

Your stereotypical Warrior support hound. Nothing special to see here.

Name: High Falcon
    Card Type: Human Hunter Pet
    Effect: 1 Shadow Energy: Dive at target, dealing 1 melee damage.
    Flavour: By the time you look away from the telescope, it's already too late.

High Falcon will help Hunter decks against Armour of Ages. It's also good for picking off Blake, Sparks, and allies under Shard. Nice addition before you equip Bug Demon Bow on turn 4.

Name: Old Saint Bernard
    Card Type: Human Priest Pet
    Stats: 0/2
    Effect: 1 Shadow Energy: Heal target ally by 2.
    Flavour: Man's best friend is always there for him.

This will nicely compliment Zhanna but works well with Jericho as well. To those unfarmiliar, St. Bernards are a type of dog.

Name: Unnamed Demon
    Card Type: Shadow Pet
    Stats: 0/2
    Effects: 1 Shadow Energy: Your hero channels 1 Shadow Energy into Unnamed Demon, opponent hero loses 1 Shadow Energy.
    Flavour: The demon, unnamed so, as not a survivor has been left to do just that.

All of the Shadow faction heroes use Shadow Energy.. except for Darkclaw. Which may be the pickup he needs ^^. The effect might prove unreasonably annoying though and may need rebalancing.
    Last edited by AnAdolt; 04-27-2011 at 04:17 AM. Reason: fixed High Falcon

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by AnAdolt View Post
    [*]You can catch them with a Pokéball.
    omg! epic win! i'll read the rest now lol.
    - it's so blatantly obvious i'm gonna win that they usually quit. =(. i feel like i have to hold back so they won't leave.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by autumnleaf View Post
    [*]You can catch them with a Pokéball.
    omg! epic win! i'll read the rest now lol.
    ***Copyright Disclaimer***
    For all intents and purposes, Shadow Era pets cannot be caught by any of the following:

Pokéball™
    Master Pokéball™
    GoddamnyouMewtwo Pokéball™

Pokémon is a copyright of Nintendo.
    Please read and recognize the aforementioned statement.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Name: High Falcon
    Card Type: Human Hunter Pet
    Effect: Dive at target, dealing 1 melee damage.
    Flavour: By the time you look away from the telescope, it's already too late.

High Falcon will help Hunter decks against Armour of Ages. It's also good for picking off Blake, Sparks, and allies under Shard. Nice addition before you equip Bug Demon Bow on turn 4.
    missed the shadow engery cost on this one.

black cat's text seems unnecessary restrictive. if they're using the ability they would most likely attack the ally first and then use the ability.

as for everything else, seems pretty good and balanced. i have a question on the resource feeding. i assume you mean sacrifice a resource to gain shadow energy. i think this price is too high for the effect, even having the ability to sacrifice a card in is a bit high. I think instead of a pet it should be more of a symbian or parasite card type that drains heroes' hp for shadow energy. maybe sacrifice 1hp and gain 1 shadow energy. i think this is a lot more feasible. it also gives room for stronger cards down the line where it would take more than 1hp to gain a shadow energy.
    - it's so blatantly obvious i'm gonna win that they usually quit. =(. i feel like i have to hold back so they won't leave.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hmm, good eye. Thanks, fixed now.

Regarding Black Cat, it costs 1 resource and the cat costs 1.. so it can lock and be pretty damn annoying, hence the restrictions.

As for feeding, you don't sacrifice a resource, you just use it like a casting cost. Haha, I wonder how you'll react to the balance now since this is a major shift from how you thought it works.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Mounts, pets. Next is Raids right?

How about we try to think of things that makes SE unique rather than more quasi-ally stuff. Not everything needs health.
    My music.
    Cthulhu fhtagn...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm not sure how raids would work actually.

As for thinking up of unique stuff, I'm just a regular player, I think designing eloquent game mechanics is the work for their dev team, no? I was just spitballing some simple ideas.

As for for "not everything needs health", I think mounts and pets kinda need it, no? ^^

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    As for feeding, you don't sacrifice a resource, you just use it like a casting cost. Haha, I wonder how you'll react to the balance now since this is a major shift from how you thought it works.
    o...wow...ummm mages and elementals would prolly have the least trouble with them. but still slightly OP since no combat damage can be dealt to them and they themselves can be buffed by those like aldon and attack. hmmm... i'm always a bit iffy about being critical of card suggestions since they received no actual play/testing. the only thing really balancing most of the cards out is the casting cost, cause at 3 resource i would prolly have something better to play for board control.....grrrrr

overall. undecided. gonna retract my OP statement, but gonna leave it in the post as a reflection of my thought process.

p.s. still favor my symbian idea, cause well, it came from me, and i'm slightly, just slightly, biased there ;D

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Montag451 View Post
    Mounts, pets. Next is Raids right?

How about we try to think of things that makes SE unique rather than more quasi-ally stuff. Not everything needs health.
    i think it's good that he's trying to come up with something. unique is really hard man, i mean, a lot ideas have already been taken/revised/built upon. if it's an old idea, but will improve the game in a way that's more enjoyable to players, well, why not? it might not be original, but if it works, it works.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    "The hero protects their pet so enemy ally attacks(combat) can't target them."
    So everything from ally abilities, hero attack, hero ability, and Ability cards can target pets. Also including any future items that can do its own targeting.

There can be pets with symbiotic/parasitic effects, like a Vampire Bat or something. For pets in general, I think people generally adopt the idea of pets that you feed rather than parasitic pets.