Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Hearthstone killed all other digital TCG games like WOW killed MMO's

Just logged on for the first time since Hearthstone release, wow, pretty much a ghost town. Shadow Era fell out of top 1000 grossing in every single country. Do you know what that means? Before you ask for features, I will probably ask "when will you shut off the servers and halt all developments because you can't pay the bills". Can Shadow Era even crack six figures annual revenue when it is not even top 1000 grossing? How is a company supposed to operate with this kind of sales?

To be honest it was never a fair fight to begin with, Blizzard has massive resources and one of the most loyal fan base and made an extremely accessible TCG with huge pick-up and play appeal. Fast paced games, perfect mix of skill, strategy and luck, Hearthstone now generates more revenue than even Magic The Gathering (and yes I am counting the paper version) and comes with six figure tournaments, 3rd strongest Twitch presence behind LOL/DOTA 2, top 20 grossing in every major market (US, Europe, Korea, China, you name it).

I don't see anyone competing with Blizzard in this space ever. The Warcraft franchise is too strong, and mobile TCG (unless you count games like Puzzles and Dragons as card games) is not as popular a genre as say, Clash of Clans or Candy Crush to begin with. It is over for everyone else trying to make a living in the genre.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Welcome back!

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    SE does not need that kind of revenue. It's a great game that many new players state they are leaving Hearthstone to come and play. That's only going to continue over time.

I don't know why you are valuing top grossing 1000 games in particular. SE is truly multi platform and the best deals for SC if you are not going free-to-play is via the online store, which won't show up in whatever chart you are talking about.

It doesn't sound like you are planning to play much anyway, but if you are, then I'd like to reassure you we are investing in a new set, for which you can see spoiler series in my signature, and the servers are not going off. The operating costs for SE are going to be a fraction of that for Hearthstone, and their marketing dollars are working for us because new players find HS due to their high advertising budget or leveraging their other IP, but then get put off for whatever reason and then come here.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Just wondering if you are on the latest version, by the way? 2.91. If you play on anything older then you will be split from most of the player base.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It's like comparing a craft beer brewery to Heineken. Different leagues, both have it's fan base

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    SE does not need that kind of revenue. It's a great game that many new players state they are leaving Hearthstone to come and play. That's only going to continue over time.

I don't know why you are valuing top grossing 1000 games in particular. SE is truly multi platform and the best deals for SC if you are not going free-to-play is via the online store, which won't show up in whatever chart you are talking about.

It doesn't sound like you are planning to play much anyway, but if you are, then I'd like to reassure you we are investing in a new set, for which you can see spoiler series in my signature, and the servers are not going off. The operating costs for SE are going to be a fraction of that for Hearthstone, and their marketing dollars are working for us because new players find HS due to their high advertising budget or leveraging their other IP, but then get put off for whatever reason and then come here.
    Sorry Hearthstone is multi-platform as well, and best deals are on Amazon, doesn't prevent it from top 20 grossing in every country's iOS/Android charts. I mean, when kickstarter's $100K or so funding (doesn't even buy you a single developer for a year in major markets) matters, the situation is pretty dire . . .

And yes I have upgraded, it is is like going from NYC/SF to . . . some tiny farm town . . .

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Did Hearthstone put you up to this. Actually I'm sure they did not. So why are you trolling? I'm sure your energy could be spent better elsewhere.
    The Paladin of Punxsutawney
    Warrior of The Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

IGN: BP Shadows R Us

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    lol, I remember when companies didn't need to be in the top 1000s for people to consider them successful. Shadow era is one of the few digital card games that isn't constantly trying to extort the fanbase so that is why I prefer it.

in the Graveyard,Amongst the fallen blades
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I play hs, now I'm back to SE
    Hs to me is very stressful when it comes to competion in the game play ranked mode Becasue it's really damn hard and I find no pleasure in that, SE may not be hs but hs isn't like SE at all. It's cheaper, more spon effects and combos and it has more intense games, and you can lock the board down in SE then you can in hs Becasue hs has too much abillity to really make a comeback from hell. From
    Uncontrollable elements. It's still a good game. But I like SE just as much if not more.
    Avenger Of The Fallen Blade,
    Warriors Of The Blue Phoenix
    Greatness , Reborn

LDL CHAMPION 23 APR 13
    Season 15 Ranking: 65
    Season 22 Ranking: 88

Blue Phoneix Guild Leader

JOIN THE MOST EPIC GUILD EVER: Warriors of The Blue Phoenix

http://www.shadowera.com/showthread.php?19877-Guild-Warriors-of-the-Blue-Phoenix-Greatness-Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    the saddest part about SE is that there's not many players active. i don't like seing and playing the same people everyday. if only se was so much popular than its current state, it would be awesome. Besides this i would love to see much more synergy between the cards, thus otk combos.

what about the class specific cards in the new set Gondorian?