Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Slow Card Load

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShrapnelFox View Post
    Are you sure it's a minority? How do you know? (Don't assume every player is happy to play software tester for Wulven and lodges bugs)
    You raise the key point that we must 'Question' why it only affects some and not everyone if this is the case. Maybe we can identify a trend of affected devices/builds.
    Well, in light of what I wrote in my other post above, I'd be interested in knowing your device, your OS, the version of your OS, your ISP, your country, your firewall (if any), your proxy (if any), whether there are specific times of day it is better or worse, etc, etc. Anything that could affect the connection all the way from your device to the SE server and back again. Same goes for anyone else having this issue.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I first flagged this problem in June, if I remember correctly. I saw it on PC when a new version was released that used the latest Unity engine. Was told that my PC sucked. (The machine is better than a Netbook, with an Intel B960 proc and 8GB RAM, but a little worse than a Core i3 laptop.)

After a while iOS was updated for TestFlight and I saw it there, too, on an iPad2. I reported it again and was told my network was faulty, though I saw the same problem with my iPhone 6 with WiFi disabled. When the official iOS version came out it still happened.

The Web version does it too, and other commenters reported it on Android. I believe it was also seen on MacOS, but am not certain of that.

When Alzeroth complained that he could no longer produce his videos it should have been apparent that it was not an isolated occurrence on shabby gear. It is a common topic in Global Chat and is readily recognized to warrant a draw on in-game chat. I had it happen with BobRoss in test, where we each were unable to identify a few of each others cards. Sometimes a card that had displayed alright seems to be forgotten. On iOS, sometimes the symbols for Glowing Embers and Treasure Chest are shown in each others' stead.

I suspect that there are too many images pre-loaded after a reset. Once I observed and reported 1,379 on my primary account.
    Least active member of: ETC (Ended There by Chance)
    Account for Gondorian to transfer Shadow Crystals to: m0ghedian

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm still having the issue and I think you're being a bit smart here requesting information that you're not likely to address.
    The issue still occurs but I just quit the game now. I think the point is that it's not occurring on other online games that I play

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Taras Bulba View Post
    I'm still having the issue and I think you're being a bit smart here requesting information that you're not likely to address.
    The issue still occurs but I just quit the game now. I think the point is that it's not occurring on other online games that I play
    Hi. The information requested was to see if there are any patterns and to determine how prevalent the problem is. We're still collecting info on this poll, but I did post something there based on what I'd seen so far:

Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    Assuming your library had already been preloaded at start-up, and you went straight to the deckbuilder, it seems like the cache is somewhat broken, which might mean a Unity bug beyond our control. If the cache worked correctly, then platform and connection would be irrelevant, and everything would come from the cache and not show up as a blank card back while we're trying to download the card image.

I believe some people don't see the symptoms either because the cache works fine for them (no idea why, compared to others where it doesn't work) or their connection to server and back is so great that they can download the card and not really notice the period where just the card back is shown.
    If it is a Unity bug, then we will look out for a fix from them.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I was looking at my collection on my primary account today, on my Win 8.1 PC, after logging out and back in. I had just purchased some Premium Foil Packs with some of my Halloween crystals.

In the Deck builder I was seeing the usual clusters of card backs as I scrolled, and they usually filled-in with the correct art in a few seconds. I changed views to examine Armor, and then again to look at Abilities. After scrolling a couple of times I came to a cluster of card-backs that seemed not to load, no matter how long I waited. Oddly, the art would show up magnified if I put the mouse pointer over it, but never in regular view.

Wizent's Prayer foil displayed correctly, but the non-foils of Wizent's Prayer, Blessed Protection, Sanctuary, and Stand Firm, plus the foil Desperate Tactics, were only displayed correctly when the mouse-pointer was over them. Desperate Tactics non-foils and the cards that followed seemed fine.

I tried to take a screen shot, but couldn't. I didn't get the 'flash' that would indicate a screen grab, and when I checked the Screenshots folder I had a bunch of pictures of my Firefox browser session and nothing from the Shadow Era PC client.

It would seem that if the Unity engine were at fault, these discrepancies (art available using the magnify code but still not filling-in using the regular Deck viewer) could be used to shed some light. Internet speed tests, Google searches and whatnot all worked fine, but the PC client didn't.
    Least active member of: ETC (Ended There by Chance)
    Account for Gondorian to transfer Shadow Crystals to: m0ghedian

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Frequently I see things mentioned as a possible "Unity engine fault". It should be keep in mind that other games such as the similar Hearthstone which also use the Unity engine are not experiencing the same problems, which means the issue is either not with the Unity Engine or that there are reasonable means to work around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    Well, in light of what I wrote in my other post above, I'd be interested in knowing your device, your OS, the version of your OS, your ISP, your country, your firewall (if any), your proxy (if any), whether there are specific times of day it is better or worse, etc, etc. Anything that could affect the connection all the way from your device to the SE server and back again. Same goes for anyone else having this issue.
    As per your request:

sony xperia z2
    Android 5.0.2
    Australia
    No firewall or proxy
    Issue can be reproduced 24/7

If you PM me your Skype account, I can screen share and show you different ways of reproducing the bug.
    (Clearly I'm not sated by the time I spend software testing at work :P)
    Last edited by ShrapnelFox; 10-30-2015 at 05:32 AM.