Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

New Meta; Same Old Tricks

Hello everyone, my name is BlackAngel and I’ve been playing Shadow Era roughly for 5 years now. If you haven’t heard of me let me give you a small list of my credentials: I’m the original creator of the top leading competitive guilds Alpha Predator and have won multiple tournaments in the Shadow Era community. I have lots of experience and knowledge that I don’t mind sharing.

After taking a long break I’ve came back to Shadow Era to find a lot of new faces. This is great and is exactly what the game needs in order to grow. However throughout my recent matches I noticed a lot of players are lacking in the basic deck building fundamentals and I would like to offer a small little guide that could help them.

This guide will not make you are pro Shadow Era player or help you win a tournament immediately after reading it, however it should help your deck building skills and playing ability tremendously.

More is not Always Better

Most players I have come across in my recent matches have an extremely high deck count; average 70 cards! As this header says more is not always better. You want a low deck count close to the bare minimum (40 cards) to help increase your probability of draw. What that simply means is you will get to the cards you need faster and will help lessen dead end draws.

A lot of players make the mistake by building a deck with every counter in it. This is impossible. Even if you had a deck that literally had every counter in it there is no telling if you could even draw your specific counters in time against an opponent.

Course every deck needs some counters but the best way to build a deck is to focus on your own strategy. If you have an effective strategy, and can pull it off before your opponent’s strategy, there is no reason why you can’t win.

Draw Engines

If you think about it Shadow Era is a very demanding game requiring you to sacrifice cards in order to play cards while only drawing one card per turn. This is where a draw engine comes in handy. Not only will a draw engine ensure you won’t run out of cards but it will also give you more opinions to play enabling you to counter your opponent more easily.

I’ve witnessed so many matches where an aggressive player has their opponent’s back against the wall until they drop a field clear and they are left with nothing left. If only they had listen to their old buddy BlackAngel they wouldn’t have ran out of steam and their victory would have been assured.

Basic Counters

As I mentioned before your deck cannot counter every strategy there is to Shadow Era, it is literally impossible. However, you can add some basic item destruction to help counter your opponent plays. Some pool classes have really good item destruction (like Warrior’s Smashing Blow) while others are limited on opinions (like Mages having to use Ley Line Nexus). No matter which class you play you at least need 2 to 4 item removal cards in your deck.

This guide is not the bible on how to play Shadow Era and only highlight key points to keep in mind when building a deck. I encourage new players to go more in debt and further their knowledge on these deck building fundamentals if they are truly determined to become better.

Hope you enjoyed and I’ll try to continue posting guides and articles on the forums. Until next time.
    Member of Alpha Predator
    Brotherhood. Honor. Glory.
    IGN: AP BlackAngel

free online tournament with prizes

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Nice guide BA, welcome back

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Where the hell have you been!
    A1 kip thorp
    the daddy daughter team of death
    Proud Graduate of Kiptergarten
    A1-Alliance ~ Evolution in Theory

A1 Alliance LEADER & Crash Test Dummy
    Check out our recruitment thread

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Welcome back! Hope this helps some people out.
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Welcome back BA!!
    A1 LudWig72

Master of WigFu and a Proud Graduate of Kiptergarten

Visit our recruitment thread: http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....uitment-thread

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackAngel View Post
    Hello everyone, my name is BlackAngel and I’ve been playing Shadow Era roughly for 5 years now. If you haven’t heard of me let me give you a small list of my lack of achievements: I didn't make boomerang therebin, and I will always be inferior to oggy because of this
    Don't worry man, I Don't think of you as my inferior, even if you do
    A member of ETC.
    Creator of boomerang combo deck.
    Likes playing lots of card games.

I had a really awful signature in the past so i changed it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by oggtheman View Post
    I have nothing better to do but troll BlackAngel's guides which I love so much!
    That's okay Oggy, glad you enjoyed the guide
    Member of Alpha Predator
    Brotherhood. Honor. Glory.
    IGN: AP BlackAngel

free online tournament with prizes

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    More is better metar. Bp shadow Mann can probably out rank both of us with his 80-120 card Garth. 320+ for like 5 seasons. My 80 card praixix laughs at your 40 card baby deck.