Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Some Suggestions for Rating System

Hi, I have been struggling to climb since some time. My every win gives me 1 points while every lose is like -2 or -3 points. I know after a while rating settles and makes it harder to climb just like in another game. But problem here is winning versus a higher rating opponent gives +1 and losing versus a higher rating opponent gives -2. So How can i possible climb ? when you do the math if you wanna climb from lets say 220 to 300 considering your win/lose ratio is 4/1 (which means 2 points in 5 games), 5x40 makes 200 games. However if you have like 3W/1L ratio then its like impossible.

So I think this only leaves people one option that is to wait 2 weeks after the ratings reset and try to climb with a strong deck after the ratings are settled. First days after the reset all good players will be encountered even at 50 rating. So getting some loses is kinda unavoidable and once your rating is settled around lets say 200, then it becomes impossible to climb. If this was a purely skill based game and not a cards game I think it wouldn't be such a big problem, but now it is kinda problematic. There is already this bug where the game don't start and we keep losing rating. So if the game is a bit more forgiving there will be a more flexible league where everyone has a better chance imho. Also people will be more confident trying different decks in real games rather than bots and accordingly we will have more population in the PvP.

So my suggestion is to make a small change on rating system where it gives players chance to climb. Lets say between 220-280 minimum points to earn (even when won vs a lower rating opp) is like 2 points. Also a lose is same points with that.
    Last edited by ledrahan; 06-29-2015 at 07:57 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think I remember reading somewhere that there will be a league system, and an unranked playlist!
    Ross014 - Intrepid Learner of Secrets
    Warrior of the Blue Pheonix
    Greatness, Reborn

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ledrahan View Post
    There is already this bug where the game don't start and we keep losing rating.
    That's fixed now with a server-side change.

The rating is meant to be an approximation of your skill level, not a score system, so increases will slow down over time. It also puts more emphasis on your most recent results so if your last result is a loss after many many wins then that is going to paint a completely different picture (some wins and a loss in recent history, as opposed to all wins) and that's why the score drops by more than you are gaining.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    That's fixed now with a server-side change.

The rating is meant to be an approximation of your skill level, not a score system, so increases will slow down over time. It also puts more emphasis on your most recent results so if your last result is a loss after many many wins then that is going to paint a completely different picture (some wins and a loss in recent history, as opposed to all wins) and that's why the score drops by more than you are gaining.
    I see so most logical option is to wait for ratings to settle first few weeks then go in with some strong decks. Because once the system "approximates my skill level" then I have no chance to claim I improved or anything within the same season. Hopefully i will be more ready for next season.
    Last edited by ledrahan; 06-29-2015 at 10:03 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    A league system would be awesome... the thrill of getting into a better league or saving a spot in my current one made me stick with many games which are worse than Shadow Era.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The most logical option is to never lose. Problem solved

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguins Fly View Post
    A league system would be awesome... the thrill of getting into a better league or saving a spot in my current one made me stick with many games which are worse than Shadow Era.
    I'm a fan of league systems too, would love to see it implemented jnto shadow era

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by ledrahan View Post
    I see so most logical option is to wait for ratings to settle first few weeks then go in with some strong decks. Because once the system "approximates my skill level" then I have no chance to claim I improved or anything within the same season. Hopefully i will be more ready for next season.
    not true. even after your rating settles, its possible to start gaining lots of skill points. the point gondorian was trying to make, is that if you continually get 2 wins 1 loss, 3 wins, 2 loss, 4 wins, 1 loss, 2 wins, 2 loss, you will stay at around the same rating, as that is where you belong.

however, if you are at 220 rating, and you go 8 wins, 1 loss, 5 wins, 1 loss, 7 wins, 1 loss. i guarantee you will notice that around the time you hit 5-6 win streak, your rating will rise by quite a bit more. and since you only lost ONCE after an 8 win streak, on your second 5+win streak, you should see your rating rise significantly after only 1 or 2 wins.

this is how the true skill system works. if you are consistently winning at your current rating, you will begin to boost. but if youre only at a 60%ish win rate, you probably belong at whatever rating you are at.

edit - just to prove my point, i was stuck at 220 for a while, only gaining and losing 1-2 points per game. ive hit a 5 win streak now with a few 3-1/4-1 streaks before it, and im currently gaining 5-6 points per game. this will increase if i continue to win, so well see how it goes lol.
    Last edited by AomoriAkuma; 07-17-2015 at 06:47 PM.