Close

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Comparing Embers to elad's old ability is a bad one to make. Embers is a card that requires an opposing ally to attach it plus your ability or an effect to target and destroy it. A better comparison would be to compare to fireball. Embers is clearly harder to trigger for that amount of damage.
    IGN: TJ jonmaciel
    TG: @jonmaciel

Elder, Mentoring Officer

ShadowEra.Net Editor

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    My comparison with Eladīs ability, Dagger of Fate and Brimstone Devourer is not about how good or bad it is, but the focus of those nerfs being control and not burn wise, and thatīs what I think Wulven searched with those nerfs.
    Talking about Emberīs disadvantages (not easy to trigger), you should also consider that its advantages (infinite looping if used correctly) makes it dangerous in future sets if some extra tools come out that make it easier to trigger, like other attachment destruction abilities, SE boosting or forced enemy ally summoning for instance; or at least makes those new tools become less viable to appear. This would not be that troublesome if Ember is a control tool and not a burning tool, as empowering a burning tool is much more unbalancing.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik View Post
    My comparison with Eladīs ability, Dagger of Fate and Brimstone Devourer is not about how good or bad it is, but the focus of those nerfs being control and not burn wise, and thatīs what I think Wulven searched with those nerfs.
    Talking about Emberīs disadvantages (not easy to trigger), you should also consider that its advantages (infinite looping if used correctly) makes it dangerous in future sets if some extra tools come out that make it easier to trigger, like other attachment destruction abilities, SE boosting or forced enemy ally summoning for instance; or at least makes those new tools become less viable to appear. This would not be that troublesome if Ember is a control tool and not a burning tool, as empowering a burning tool is much more unbalancing.
    Infinite looping? As solo Jericho, it costs 4SE each time to pop it (or a summoned ability like Sever Ties), so unless you have Eriss in play (in which case you aren't solo Jericho) then that's not going to happen, even with the SE rebate of Lingering Essence. I did consider letting it only hit allies but then those wishing to go the solo route (there will always be people who like that challenge) would just have to stall out to win rather than kill you off faster by hitting your hero. It's for this reason we let Praxix hit the hero too.

Eladwen lost her ability to hit the hero because Mage already had many other cards that could do that, and it was always 4 damage for 4SE, so it became rather silly.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    I hope this reply is helpful. I was just going to say "no comment".
    I certainly appreciate the elaborate answer!

However, it seems to still be difficult for the DT to find a fine balance for certain cards, such as Confluence of Fate. There is a very big difference between 2 cc + sustain 1HP and 3 cc + no sustain 1HP. I hardly think the cost increase will retard its gameplay. Despite outcries from some players, the original version was very balanced. It suited the playstyle of its primary intended users, Vess and Jericho, who both have various ways of healing. Even Tome Zhanna can regain the lost health. Also, it was still usable by Lance, it's just that he had to make a choice whether to play it early or late. Many of the Lance CoF games I've seen today would have him survive to get that finishing blow even if it would have sustain 1HP (of course, it depends on if the opponent goes for the hero or allies).

You say you wanted to enourage players to find new strategies. You've succeeded. They found a very powerful one with Lance. People are aware of the power of CoF now so I don't see a reason why it should not be changed back to its original version, or at least have some kind of sustain cost like CC or SE because 3 cc is still not enough of a nerf. There's something really broken with CoF when I haven't faced one single IGG Lance since the CoF buff.
    Last edited by Ness; 06-20-2015 at 10:36 AM.
    PK Love

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    BUFFS (6):

Raikka Spellseeker - Ability changed to "3SE: Until the start of your next turn, all damage to friendly allies is reduced by 1 and all damage from friendly allies to opposing heroes and allies is increased by 1." (from "3SE: Until the start of your next turn, all damage from friendly allies is increased by 1 and all damage to friendly allies is reduced by 1.").

This change is minor, and feels more like a fix than a bug

Ellos' Resolve - Ability changed to "Attach to target friendly ally. That ally has +1 attack and +1 health, and combat damage to that ally is reduced by 2." (from "Attach to target friendly Warrior or Ravager ally. That ally has +1 attack and +1 health, and combat damage to that ally is reduced by 1.").

This is quite easily going to be overpowered. I expect to see a lot of this once 2.91 comes.

Mettle of the Yari - Renamed to Mettle of the Warrior. Ability changed to "Attach to your hero. When you summon a Warrior card, your hero and Warrior allies you control heal 1 damage." (from "Attach to your hero. When you summon a Warrior card, your hero and Yari allies you control heal 1 damage.").

Hmm... feels like they are trying to make warrior allies better :P

Xander, Yari Captain - Attack increased to 4 (from 3). Health increased to 6 (from 5). Ability changed to "Other friendly Yari allies have +1 attack and +1 health." (from "Friendly Yari allies have +1 attack and +1 health.").

Drangis, Lord of the Hunt - Attack increased to 4 (from 3). Health increased to 8 (from 7). Ability changed to "Ambush. Other friendly Hunter allies have +1 attack, +1 health and ambush." (from "Friendly Hunter allies have +1 attack, +1 health and ambush.").

Both are rejigs imo

Pithing Spear - Ability changed to "When your hero kills an opposing ally in combat, your hero gains +1 shadow energy. While you control a Shadow ally or Warrior ally, Pithing Spear has +1 attack." (from "When your hero kills an opposing ally in combat, your hero gains +1 shadow energy. While you control a Shadow ally, Pithing Spear has +1 attack.").

Hmm, this will now be usable in non shadow warrior decks

(Those who wish to argue that Xander and Drangis are technically rejigs rather than buffs can do so in the comments, since there is a corner-case or two where they would be worse than before!)

REJIGS (4):

Cinderborn Fatebreaker - Ability changed to "When an opposing player summons a targeted ability with cost 3 or less, that ability has no effect and Cinderborn Fatebreaker is killed." (from "When an opposing player summons an ability with cost 3 or less, that ability has no effect and Cinderborn Fatebreaker is killed.").
    -- If the ability mentions "target" in the text, then it is a targeted ability (e.g. Fireball, Crippling Blow). If there is no mention of "target" then it is an untargeted ability (e.g. Bad Santa, Blood Frenzy). Similarly, within the game, all summoned targeted abilities will involve you choosing at least one target before successfully summoning them - either by dragging to it or selecting one and hitting TARGET button.

interesting and useful

Sindarok Apprentice - Ability changed to "When an opposing ally enters combat with Sindarok Apprentice, that opposing ally takes 1 arcane damage (or 2 arcane damage if you control at least 2 Templar allies)." (from "When an opposing ally enters combat with Sindarok Apprentice while every ally you control is a Templar ally, that opposing ally takes 2 arcane damage.").

Looks good, reduces its power on turn 3

Stardust Extractor - Cost decreased to 3cc (from 4cc). Attack reduced to 2 (from 3). Ability changed to "Steadfast. When Stardust Extractor is summoned, its health is reduced by 1 and you draw a card. 0SE: Stardust Extractor's health is reduced by 1 and you draw a card." (from "Steadfast. 0SE: Draw a card. Stardust Extractor's health and base attack are reduced by 1.").

I like it

Robes of Mending - Ability changed to "At the end of each of your turns, your hero heals 1 damage. 1SE: Robes of Mending gains +2 durability to a maximum of 5 durability.." (from "At the end of each of your turns, your hero heals 1 damage. 2SE: Target hero or ally heals 4 damage and Robes of Mending loses 1 durability.").

This is very interesting, reduces its strength but it is now strong in another way.

NERFS (3):

Scriptures of the Righteous - Cost increased to 2cc (from 1cc).

Good

Obelisk of Echoes - Added Sustain 1cc.

Not so good

Confluence of Fate - Cost increased to 3cc (from 2cc).

Kind of good, i feel they could find another way which wasnt as much of a nerf

There were some other cards considered for nerfs, but instead they will stay on our watch list for now.

I now invite you to use this thread to let everyone know what you think of these upcoming changes!
    My thoughts
    A member of ETC.
    Creator of boomerang combo deck.
    Likes playing lots of card games.

I had a really awful signature in the past so i changed it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Infinite looping? As solo Jericho, it costs 4SE each time to pop it (or a summoned ability like Sever Ties), so unless you have Eriss in play (in which case you aren't solo Jericho) then that's not going to happen, even with the SE rebate of Lingering Essence.
    Boo-hoo, poor Jericho. Thanks to CoF, his hand is always full, which means that he has maximum chance to draw any card he needs and he rakes up resources so damn fast!!

The core problem with Jericho is CoF, but it is evident from these patch notes that Wolven will try to rejig many other things instead of just taking away CoF from him or letting CoF burn humans, as it used to.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Do we have an ETA on these changes being implemented?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT View Post
    Do we have an ETA on these changes being implemented?
    They're all implemented. There's some other stuff going into 2.91 which is taking the time, but it will be worth the wait!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Just posting here to confirm that one extra very minor change has been added for 2.91 (announced on Telegram official SE channel a few days ago).

Howlfang's Breastplate - Renamed to Packmaster's Helm and removed class restriction.