Close

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Preview of Balance Changes for 2.91

Hi, everyone!

Firstly, I'd like to say thanks to everyone who has played and given feedback on 2.90. There were quite a lot of buffs and rejigs in there and the majority seem to have been beneficial to the game, which was great to see. There's always a risk with trying to improve the seemingly weaker cards that they could then go too far the other way, and thankfully most of them didn't!

Which brings us nicely onto the balance changes that are planned for 2.91!

As always, I'll give no explanations from the outset, since half the fun is the ensuing discussion on why community members think the changes were made and what their impact might be. (Anything I say would prejudice the conversations you might have, which then limits the value of the thread overall.) On a personal note, I really enjoy hearing the (sometimes wildly) differing points of view from community members and seeing players learning from each other's insights as the thread progresses.

BUFFS (6):

Raikka Spellseeker - Ability changed to "3SE: Until the start of your next turn, all damage to friendly allies is reduced by 1 and all damage from friendly allies to opposing heroes and allies is increased by 1." (from "3SE: Until the start of your next turn, all damage from friendly allies is increased by 1 and all damage to friendly allies is reduced by 1.").

Ellos' Resolve - Ability changed to "Attach to target friendly ally. That ally has +1 attack and +1 health, and combat damage to that ally is reduced by 2." (from "Attach to target friendly Warrior or Ravager ally. That ally has +1 attack and +1 health, and combat damage to that ally is reduced by 1.").

Mettle of the Yari - Renamed to Mettle of the Warrior. Ability changed to "Attach to your hero. When you summon a Warrior card, your hero and Warrior allies you control heal 1 damage." (from "Attach to your hero. When you summon a Warrior card, your hero and Yari allies you control heal 1 damage.").

Xander, Yari Captain - Attack increased to 4 (from 3). Health increased to 6 (from 5). Ability changed to "Other friendly Yari allies have +1 attack and +1 health." (from "Friendly Yari allies have +1 attack and +1 health.").

Drangis, Lord of the Hunt - Attack increased to 4 (from 3). Health increased to 8 (from 7). Ability changed to "Ambush. Other friendly Hunter allies have +1 attack, +1 health and ambush." (from "Friendly Hunter allies have +1 attack, +1 health and ambush.").

Pithing Spear - Ability changed to "When your hero kills an opposing ally in combat, your hero gains +1 shadow energy. While you control a Shadow ally or Warrior ally, Pithing Spear has +1 attack." (from "When your hero kills an opposing ally in combat, your hero gains +1 shadow energy. While you control a Shadow ally, Pithing Spear has +1 attack.").

(Those who wish to argue that Xander and Drangis are technically rejigs rather than buffs can do so in the comments, since there is a corner-case or two where they would be worse than before!)

REJIGS (5):

Cinderborn Fatebreaker - Ability changed to "When an opposing player summons a targeted ability with cost 3 or less, that ability has no effect and Cinderborn Fatebreaker is killed." (from "When an opposing player summons an ability with cost 3 or less, that ability has no effect and Cinderborn Fatebreaker is killed.").
    -- If the ability mentions "target" in the text, then it is a targeted ability (e.g. Fireball, Crippling Blow). If there is no mention of "target" then it is an untargeted ability (e.g. Bad Santa, Blood Frenzy). Similarly, within the game, all summoned targeted abilities will involve you choosing at least one target before successfully summoning them - either by dragging to it or selecting one and hitting TARGET button.

Sindarok Apprentice - Ability changed to "When an opposing ally enters combat with Sindarok Apprentice, that opposing ally takes 1 arcane damage (or 2 arcane damage if you control at least 2 Templar allies)." (from "When an opposing ally enters combat with Sindarok Apprentice while every ally you control is a Templar ally, that opposing ally takes 2 arcane damage.").

Stardust Extractor - Cost decreased to 3cc (from 4cc). Attack reduced to 2 (from 3). Ability changed to "Steadfast. When Stardust Extractor is summoned, its health is reduced by 1 and you draw a card. 0SE: Stardust Extractor's health is reduced by 1 and you draw a card." (from "Steadfast. 0SE: Draw a card. Stardust Extractor's health and base attack are reduced by 1.").

Howlfang's Breastplate - Renamed to Packmaster's Helm and removed class restriction.

Robes of Mending - Ability changed to "At the end of each of your turns, your hero heals 1 damage. 1SE: Robes of Mending gains +2 durability to a maximum of 5 durability.." (from "At the end of each of your turns, your hero heals 1 damage. 2SE: Target hero or ally heals 4 damage and Robes of Mending loses 1 durability.").

NERFS (3):

Scriptures of the Righteous - Cost increased to 2cc (from 1cc).

Obelisk of Echoes - Added Sustain 1cc.

Confluence of Fate - Cost increased to 3cc (from 2cc).

There were some other cards considered for nerfs, but instead they will stay on our watch list for now.

I now invite you to use this thread to let everyone know what you think of these upcoming changes!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    No change to Embers?
    Raikka - still weak
    All other buffs, I don't think those are any game changers. Or I am understanding the changes on Drangis right? Opponent allies also benefit from him or is it just bad wording?

Cinderborn - change to targeted ability means that now he won't be killed by rain delay?
    Sindarok and Robes are good changes imo.
    Stardust looks also good.

Scriptures - yes.
    Obelisk - ouch, ravager decks are history.
    CoF - you probably killed my Lance, but let's see how this goes.

I don't really consider these changes as major, just a slight change in some decks, probably worst nerf for Ravager decks
    Last edited by dejvo; 06-16-2015 at 03:18 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Uff finally the Confluence meta is done...

I like that card because it makes really lot of new concepts playable and competitive. But it was everywhere and it can be dangerous in future. Now it will be medicore and playable card...

I like most of other changes, especially Raikka and Pitthing Spear (looking forward to try Logan again).

Obelisk of echoles nerf is probably too much. Itīs the key card in ravagers decks and its popularity rises bcs it can remove confluence very early with no big card disadvantage. Now confluence will not be that popular... Its time to use Obelisk as surprise 1cc remover, usually played the turn its used.
    Last edited by maskee; 06-16-2015 at 03:28 PM.
    IGN: TJ Maskee - Proud member of Team Juggernauts !

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dejvo View Post
    Or I am understanding the changes on Drangis right? Opponent allies also benefit from him or is it just bad wording?
    Typo. Fixed now. Thanks.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yea awsome, boosting cards for nerfing keeps u busy.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    i liked the mettle of the warrior buff.
    ellos's resolve is a bit too much imo.i use that card and it was already a strong one.is it still a warrior card?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    ellos's resolve is a bit too much imo.i use that card and it was already a strong one.is it still a warrior card?
    Yes, it's still a Warrior card. And, yes, there's a chance it's a buff too far. Have you posted a deck list somewhere?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Looks interesting.

What exactly is a targeted ability? Do hero attachments (e.g. Blood Frenzy) count as such?
    And what about Soul Reaper (and its interaction with Cinderborn Fatebreaker)?

Cheers
    Member of Supreme Legion

We are legion, For we are many
    IGN: SL Jacelkos

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I like stardust buff. T3 stardust T4 cultist. Awsome.
    Elloes resolve is too much buff imo. Warriors get op.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    no gondorian i've never posted a deck.