Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Post Lacking incentive for the average player to remain active

I’ll keep this post short and concise:

Current PRO’s :

Daily Reward Card – Player will log in daily to collect the card, keeping players active and in a habit of launching SE daily (even players with all cards may do so, with the chance to get a foil)

Collecting Cards – Cards are very affordable. Encourages ‘ranked play’ games to earn gold and purchase the desired cards.

Edit
    Gameplay - Shadow Era is an excellent technical TCG with cross platform gameplay, great art and animations. It has minimized the use of ‘random’, resulting in game outcomes predominantly based on skill not chance. (This is a TCG, so there is always a chance element) All this for FREE!

Current CON’s:

Ranked Play – Only the most fanatical players will achieve top 50 to be rewarded. Majority of the player base know this is unachievable for them based on their skill, cards and time restraints. Hence no incentive to achieve anything in ranked play.
    Suggestion: Have a mini reward each season for those that finish with a ranking above 150 (common foil), 250 (uncommon foil) and 300 (epic foil).

Meltdown – Once again only the most fanatical players will achieve top 50% to be rewarded. Majority of the player base know this is unachievable for them based on their skill, disposable gold and time restraints. Hence no incentive to play meltdown except once or twice to see what it is.
    Suggestion: Player gains 7 games with an entry using a single deck for all. Based on number of victories is an associated prize. Can still have the jackpot system existing concurrently.

Card Availability & Affordability –The acquiring of ‘rarer‘ and more ‘powerful’ cards is a key driving force in all TCG’s. Cards in SE are cheaply earned and hence when the desired cards are all acquired, the driving force is exhausted.
    Suggestion: Cards are more expensive or harder to aquire

Excitement of boosters - A great source of excitement in TCG’s is opening boosters, not knowing what average or excellent cards are inside. Currently this is reserved for ‘purchase’ only. It’s also more viable to buy ‘decks’ and sell the contents for gold. Hence the excitement of receiving unknown cards is almost completely removed. Those opening ‘boosters’ are searching for foils, or have received them as a reward, promo/part of purchase.
    Suggestion: Make boosters purchasable with gold and a more viable option then individual card and ‘deck’ purchasing. This will also lengthen how long it takes to acquire all key cards.

I'm sure when SE 3.0 is released their will be an activity surge. The business goal will be to maintain as much of the player activity surge as possible and grow from there.
    There are many ways to encourage players to be actively playing Shadow Era more. What other suggestions can people of the Shadow Era community think of?
    Last edited by ShrapnelFox; 06-16-2015 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Added Gameplay PRO

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Multiplayer! Auction House! Game/Lobby chatroom....so I can loiter around like those homeless ppl on the street-corners chatting to themselves.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Meltdown would be better if I knew where the damn hell I am being placed. As in how many points I have.

Yes. Cards need to be more expensive.

Packs for gold sounds good and since the tourney ones will be exclusive packs its not too bad.
    (ง ͠° ل͜ °)ง the unseen phoenix donger is the deadliest (ง ͠° ل͜ °)ง
    Justiciar of the Audacious
    Warrior of the Blue Pheonix
    Greatness, Reborn

"When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car." -- Author Unknown

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by ShrapnelFox View Post
    I’ll keep this post short and concise:

Current PRO’s :

Daily Reward Card – Player will log in daily to collect the card, keeping players active and in a habit of launching SE daily (even players with all cards may do so, with the chance to get a foil)

Collecting Cards – Cards are very affordable. Encourages ‘ranked play’ games to earn gold and purchase the desired cards.

Current CON’s:

Ranked Play – Only the most fanatical players will achieve top 50 to be rewarded. Majority of the player base know this is unachievable for them based on their skill, cards and time restraints. Hence no incentive to achieve anything in ranked play.
    Suggestion: Have a mini reward each season for those that finish with a ranking above 150 (common foil), 250 (uncommon foil) and 300 (epic foil).

Meltdown – Once again only the most fanatical players will achieve top 50% to be rewarded. Majority of the player base know this is unachievable for them based on their skill, disposable gold and time restraints. Hence no incentive to play meltdown except once or twice to see what it is.
    Suggestion: Player gains 7 games with an entry using a single deck for all. Based on number of victories is an associated prize. Can still have the jackpot system existing concurrently.

Card Availability & Affordability –The acquiring of ‘rarer‘ and more ‘powerful’ cards is a key driving force in all TCG’s. Cards in SE are cheaply earned and hence when the desired cards are all acquired, the driving force is exhausted.
    Suggestion: Cards are more expensive or harder to aquire

Excitement of boosters - A great source of excitement in TCG’s is opening boosters, not knowing what average or excellent cards are inside. Currently this is reserved for ‘purchase’ only. It’s also more viable to buy ‘decks’ and sell the contents for gold. Hence the excitement of receiving unknown cards is almost completely removed. Those opening ‘boosters’ are searching for foils, or have received them as a reward, promo/part of purchase.
    Suggestion: Make boosters purchasable with gold and a more viable option then individual card and ‘deck’ purchasing. This will also lengthen how long it takes to acquire all key cards.

I'm sure when SE 3.0 is released their will be an activity surge. The business goal will be to maintain as much of the player activity surge as possible and grow from there.
    There are many ways to encourage players to be actively playing Shadow Era more. What other suggestions can people of the Shadow Era community think of?
    I really like the Meltdown and Rank Play ideas. I also would like to suggest having an inbuilt tournamenet system within the game where players pay a certain amount of gold to get in, and then the game would distribute the players accordingly.

However i disagree with making cards more expensive. Its the reason why i never bothered to play Hearthstone after realising what it is, and the same reason why i recommend SE over any other TCG. To me one of SE strength is being able to get all the cards within a reasonable time of grinding or reasonable fee, and then players can get down straight into the strategy and competitive play - which is why i really like ideas that helps to stimulate rank plays, meltdowns and etc.

Edit: The biggest turn off for me is feeling like a game has a P2W element. And for SE, it doesnt feel that way. Its the main reason i have stuck to SE for many years and they have earned their fair share of money from their customers
    Last edited by D4Mamba; 06-13-2015 at 06:51 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by D4Mamba View Post
    I really like the Meltdown and Rank Play ideas. I also would like to suggest having an inbuilt tournamenet system within the game where players pay a certain amount of gold to get in, and then the game would distribute the players accordingly.

However i disagree with making cards more expensive. Its the reason why i never bothered to play Hearthstone after realising what it is, and the same reason why i recommend SE over any other TCG. To me one of SE strength is being able to get all the cards within a reasonable time of grinding or reasonable fee, and then players can get down straight into the strategy and competitive play - which is why i really like ideas that helps to stimulate rank plays, meltdowns and etc.

Edit: The biggest turn off for me is feeling like a game has a P2W element. And for SE, it doesnt feel that way. Its the main reason i have stuck to SE for many years and they have earned their fair share of money from their customers
    Yeah the f2p is great but the game is so cheap we've been in SF beta for 2 fuggin years. Why support a company with money when you can just exploit the embers feature and packs. This company is most likely dry when it comes to money and it's not surprising. How the hell are you supposed to turn a profit when this game costs $10 total
    Greatness, Reborn

"When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car." -- Author Unknown

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hi guys, the following example is taken from another fun game.

Daily challenges with random reward: cards, gold, experience, shadow crystals etc.

- defeat Jericho Spellbane using Nishaven in rated mode; reward: 5 shadow crystals
    - defeat a Human deck using a Shadow deck in rated mode; reward: 50 gold
    - defeat a Warrior using a Hunter in rated mode; reward: random card
    - etc.

Plus, if you complete the challenge for 7 consecutive days you'll be rewarded with a random foil card, sleeve, or playmat.
    If you are successful then the cycle will reset.
    If you fail/miss one day then the cycle will reset.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The card availability and affordability thing is most important here. It is the reason I haven't played se in a while and I am now playing hs
    A member of ETC.
    Creator of boomerang combo deck.
    Likes playing lots of card games.

I had a really awful signature in the past so i changed it.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Ultimately, I'd hope the main incentive for any player to play the game would be enjoyment. It's a game! Aside from enjoyment, the other reward for the average player is improving.

As more extrinsic rewards are added then you are gonna to shift the focus from "what experience will I have by playing this match?" to "what will I get when this match is over?". The game becomes like work. The fact you are suggesting raising prices for the good of the game scares me. Our card availability and pricing means that the main incentive, the enjoyment, is more accessible to more people. Sure, I love the thrill of opening booster packs and agree that that is diminished in SE because you can buy all the non-foils from the Merchant anyway for reasonable amount, but also the disappointment factor of a bad booster is lessened. Bad boosters put me off buying boosters, ultimately, driven only by addiction instead (which is not healthy and bad for the wallet).

When I play Hearthstone, it's purely to grind out some gold. It's like a job. The fun factor is diminished by focusing on the end point. Then I spend the gold on booster packs, which is a complete gamble, and every time I get a bad booster then the motivation to continue with the job is reduced. It's a vicious cycle downwards. Hearthstone is inherently enjoyable, but the overall experience is not so enjoyable because of all the business bullshit. When I play SE, it's for enjoyment. I don't care if I win or lose, although I will try my best to win.

I agree that, from a business perspective, employing extrinsic rewards to make the game more addictive is likely a good idea but I'd be concerned if that became the driving force for most people. It runs the risk of harming the enjoyment factor. Nevertheless, I think Kyle will appreciate your post and take note of your opinions and those of people who reply here. Thanks.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I just wish we could have a non ranked quick match where I could test new decks without the concern of loosing score, and that same non ranked would probably be more forgiving for less experienced players and maybe even more fun because you wouldn't be playing against the same old decks over and over again. Like Gondorian said, the ultimate goal is enjoyment.

The biggest problem about ranking is that only a few get the rewards while everyone else is suffering the imposed "meta" season after season, neglecting the full freedom of deck choices. Or just stop the ranking all together and improve the rewards on a tournament based system. This is somewhat my 2 cents.

+++
    edit
    +++

I do understand that ranking also helps new players by not pairing them with the highly experienced players, with that in mind, i guess what i really look forward is some kind of less score oriented system that makes players go to the field to play their weird deck ideas. AI maybe could do the trick if it was a bit more polished. Looking forward for the campaign mode.
    Last edited by Kosmiker; 06-13-2015 at 10:27 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    @Gondorian ever played World of Warcraft back in the day? HS follows the same recipe by making you suffer constantly for the best endgame experience EVAR. SE doesn't feel like that though. Day 1 I can get everything with $20 and... that's it .__. You can play pop ups yeah if you're 13 and have free time all day but that's about it. Want 300 rating? Play rush aramia all day. There isn't a huge feeling of acomplishment when you win or get high ratings in SE because the gameplay itself is pretty straightfoward to where you can win by turn 5.
    Last edited by LucasBlitz; 06-13-2015 at 11:49 AM.
    Greatness, Reborn