Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Unhappy Ricochet Trap vs Ter Adun with Cleric's Mantle

Occam Nico vs Alexisll

Turn 9.
    Opponent had Grundler's Double and Ricochet Trap.
    I had Hulk enchanted by Cleric's Mantle.
    My Hero Ter Adun destroyed Ricochet, BUT the trap worked!
    and I lost the game.

Is this normal? or a bug?

sorry for my bad english.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It must be a bug... Unless Gondorian has some ludacris ruling, like how this is Schrödinger's trap that is both destroyed and not destroyed at the same time
    PK Love

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    The general rule is that a destroyed card does linger long enough on the board so that it could respond to its own destruction (e.g. Tainted Oracle, Treasured Heirloom, Lingering Essence, etc.). This is appearing to be true for the trap too, since Ter Adun destroyed it which caused the Ravager to attack and caused the Trap to go off in response to that, all within the response time of an item being destroyed.

The same kind of thing happens when Rapacious Vermin destroys a Snare Trap as a response to his summoning, only then to be exiled by that Snare Trap as a response to his summoning. (Destruction does not mean instant removal from the board.)

However, I think we need to add in a new ruling specifically for traps that states that a trap that is already being destroyed cannot trigger. I will have to discuss with other DT members before actioning this though. In the mean time, the ruling is that a destroyed trap can still trigger until it has actually left the board, which will be after any things that respond to its destruction have resolved (including itself indirectly responding to its destruction via responding to something else that responded to its destruction).

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Called it...

Seriously though, I sincerely hope the rules will be changed because I think we can all agree that this is completely ridiculous.
    PK Love

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I also think destroyed Trap should not trigger.

Thank you for replies, Gondorian and Ness.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think the Rapacious Vermin & Snare Trap example given is fair. Otherwise traps will heavily take a nerf. Trap is a risk on the caster, somekind of investment on the caster's move, and the risk it may not even be triggered. I think its fair investment on the trapper's part. A trap is supposed to be a trap afterall. But the example given by Occam is interesting. Maybe an isolated case perhaps? On this part, I too feel the resolving of all cards mentioned did not give Ter Adun's ability favor it deserves. 4 turns to earn 4 Shadow Energy should be given preference. But i find it difficult to take if traps take a nerf in general just for this?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    In this case, I say it shouldn't trigger. The Trap has been destroyed, so there should be no way it should activate.

However in cases like say Enchanted Oak vs Focused Prayer or Vermin vs Snare Trap, I say they still should be able to Trigger. Their conditions have been met. These effects should trigger before they are destroyed.
    I like my weapons how I like my music. Heavy and metal!
    -Mordekaiser

Writer of Falseblood Cultist and Thriss Crucible flavor texts.