Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Mac client 1.25 on a MacBook Pro makes the fans spin like crazy

I've noticed since playing the 1.25 mac client that the temperature in my 'Heatsink A' and in my 'CPU heatsink' goes up about 20 degrees celsius when I play the game and the fans start spinning at 6000rpm to keep up with the heat, is this anyting you've encountered before?

Also, on the client when the window is not in focus the game is paused, like in the browserclient, is this deliberately?

Model: MacBook Pro
    Model-id: MacBookPro4,1
    Processorname: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processorspeed: 2.4 GHz
    Memory: 2 GB

Cheers,
    Travii

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    My MacBook used to do this as well when I did anything CPU intensive. I replaced the thermal paste on the CPU and it fixed it for me. Also make sure the vents under the LCD are not blocked just in case. What temperature is the CPU reaching? 50 degrees?

Pete
    Grand Watchman of the Ancient Blue Citadel
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn.

Don't just witness the greatness;
    Stride with us.

To join the demonstrably greatest guild in the history of Shadow Era - click here

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The CPU is currently at 80 degrees celsius playing right now
    2 minutes after I've quit the game it goes down to 70 degrees and the fans are back at 2300rpm
    Last edited by Travii; 04-24-2011 at 08:10 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Interesting that this is brought up, actually. I myself am running an Asus G73jh with Windows 7 and similarly, when I run the PC standalone client, it seems my fans go crazy. Doesn't seem to be causing any particular HARM, and I haven't noticed any drastic rise in heat levels (but this could just be because my laptop handles the extra load incredibly well), but perhaps if others are having the same issue it's worth looking in to.

I love the standalone client - high res cards, nice big full-screen play. I hope that they continue to receive updates and support and perhaps even open up new possibilities for features.

On a related note, it would be AWESOME to look into distributing on Steam. Gives access to a lot of neat functionalities that would be perfect for a digital card game, especially down the line when we have multiplayer features and tournaments. Kyle, if you ever happen to come across this post, PLEASE make this happen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The standard web client does the same exact thing. Try it and see. Many games will make the fans wick up and run a MacBook Pro at 80-83 celcius.
    Purveyor of Probability - Team A1 - How the rating system works and why high ratings act strangely
    I now play only unrated matches in the Shadow Era 40 Card Ladder at shadowera dot gondorian dot com slash ladder40
    If my IRC nick says shannong|L40 that means I'm open for a Ladder40 challenge. I'll take all comers no matter where you are on the ladder

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I can assure you, Shannong, that there is a big difference between my computer's reaction to the web version and to the standalone client. I'm certainly no stranger to gaming on PC, but within seconds of loading up the standalone client, I can actually hear the fans in my laptop whirring faster than they do for graphically intense games. Just now I tested both to be absolutely sure, and there's no comparison.

I realize you specifically mentioned Macbook Pro in your post, but I'm simply saying that it is a real issue, and I wouldn't be in the least surprised if it affects both Mac and PC. It probably has something to do with specific hardware types if it's not an issue that everyone is having - that's what I figured from the start, and that's why I never mentioned anything until I saw this post. But if it's been happening to others out there as well, it would be awesome if Kyle would just take a look in to it. Who knows, he may find a simple problem which he can just weed out for the next client update.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Codepunk View Post
    I can assure you, Shannong, that there is a big difference between my computer's reaction to the web version and to the standalone client. I'm certainly no stranger to gaming on PC, but within seconds of loading up the standalone client, I can actually hear the fans in my laptop whirring faster than they do for graphically intense games. Just now I tested both to be absolutely sure, and there's no comparison.
    +1
    the only problem the webclient has is that it pauses when the window it's in is out of focus. And when I scroll (two finger swipe down) in another browser window it scrolls the camera around ingame even if it's out of focus

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I got a brand new mbp this year and the SE client gets me running at about 80c. When I shut it it's back down to 50c or so. I run Firefox in the background but it's a core i7 and the new MacBook pro gpu, shouldn't have this much of a problem running a minimally intensive 3D game...
    in game: DT
    A1

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I mentioned this a few weeks ago:
    http://www.shadowera.com/showthread.php?2632-CPU-usage

It seems to be a bit better with 1.25 in that it doesn't use nearly as much resources when not the active app.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Its CPU intensive as its an emulator. This is how its cross platform so easlily. Ask unity to "fix" this is its even possible.
    Grand Watchman of the Ancient Blue Citadel
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn.

Don't just witness the greatness;
    Stride with us.

To join the demonstrably greatest guild in the history of Shadow Era - click here