Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    in the Graveyard,Amongst the fallen blades
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Tips for new players: the next step into competitve play.

Hello all, now this is focused towards the new players of Shadow era or those who have been playing awhile and want to upgrade their skills.
    Now I'm not a world class champion. But I consider myself skilled enough to give these tips.

TIP#1.
    Focus: concentrate, know your game plan and keep with it. Don't get distracted or be surprised by the opponents counter to your play. Always expect the worse and move on. Which also from there if you expect the worst have the best possible counter in hand and ready for it. The card pool is still considerably small and the current meta only 24%(roughly estimated and actual calculations are appreciated in the comments below on that statistic) of the cards are really used so some decks may have one or two differences from each other. But don't let that fool you they will have many of the same cards!

TIP#2
    Count: know your deck and try to know your opponents deck. In the first 2-4 turns you will know their main build and synergies they are using.
    So keep track of what cards have been used what's the possibility that your opponent is carryin X amount of copies of certain cards. And most importantly know how much you have that way if you are hoping for that 4th fireball and you have been doing some massive digging you won't be let down because odds are your gonna get it of you have it. But if you don't know your deck well enough you may have forgotten to put that 4th fireball in and that will hurt your game because your expecting 4 fireballs. It's imperative to know what you have and what you have sacced. Pro players have their own formula but very similar in many aspects. But they too keep track of what they have and don't have. What's is the resource pile and what's not. Because knowing is half the battle and your world championship mactches you may play some day will be the toughest you have because very little to NO MISTAKES are made and one tiny mistake or miscounted will lose you that game and your opponent will expose it very quickly. And follow through.

TIP#3
    Be Aware: situational awareness. This rule actually goes hand in hand with the previous two. Keep track of how many is in hand, what their main draw and bi lateral draw are. What allies they potentially have. Example flooding the board against a priest who has yet to cast a tidal wave may not be the brightest decsion. And casting a supernova with 6 life and there are no allies present and your opponent has a bit more of life left then you may also be a bad idea. Paying attention to the slightest detail can turn the tide of the game. No matter how powerful a card is being able to apply it in the right time and the most epic way is what separates the amatures and the pros. It's not the strength of the card it is what you do with it. And paying attention to how the game is played out will determine the strength and total value of that card.

TIP#4
    Know your flaws: of course know your strengths but it's more important to know what the flaws of your deck is. It determines the whole outcome. Once that flaw is exposed by your opponent. The opponent will take advantage of it and keep exploiting it until you lose or rage quit.
    So find ways to cover your weaknesses. And try to hide it from them. One weakness I exploit on many amature players repeat is having no cards in hand. Empty hand = empty threats. Ya you will draw one card at the start but applying the tips above that top deck card win is more then unlikely. It may happen but very unlikely. Best way to cover the said weakness add more draw cards, don't waste cards like playing two allies just to be blown up by a supernova is wasting. So learning more about your flaws in the way you play and the way your deck functions is imperative.

TIP#5
    Readjust: always find a way to better your deck. See what the pro players favor. See what the community is talking about. And see if that card or build is right for you. This game is skill based so playing something that's more of your style is something you will want to commit into major tournaments. Because it's a deck you know and are very strong with.
    But the best way to know what fits you best is to constantly readjust your deck till you find what makes it optimal. Good example is my Gravebone deck

Here's a early start from The SF when I first began playing with SF cards.

Hero: Gravebone

Allies :16
    4x twisted familiar
    3x death mage Thaddeus
    4x sun-blighted one
    3x death collector
    2x karios doombringer

Spells/abillities: 16
    2x consuming fear
    4x fireball
    3x Lightning strike
    2x transmog curse
    1x shrieking revulsion
    4x supernova

Draw engine:8
    4x sacrificial lamb
    4x bad Santa

Deck+hero= 41

And here's now:

Hero: Gravebone

Allies: 15
    4x twisted familiar
    4x rampant krygon
    4x Sunblighted one
    2x death Mage Thaddeus

Abillites: 24
    4x sacrificial lamb
    4x bad santa
    4x fireball
    4x lightning strike
    4x supernova
    3x consuming fear
    2x ley line nexus

The numbers are practically the same. But so many changes have gone through this deck. And I don't have any of the original deck lists. Before SF and Before DP I have been playing Gravebone a very long time 3 years to be precise. And I'm always looking for ways to readjust my deck constantly. And also in the topic of readjusting is being able to play outside your comfort zone. Let's say you play warriors and you are super proficient with warriors. Maybe you should try to be proficient with another class and/or faction. It helps you discover a new style. A new pool. And familiarization. Which can help you in the long run. Especially tournaments that require multiple decks like Caitlyn's Legendary SLUGFEST! That way your ways in the loop in the tourney scene. And also help you understand how another style functions. So when playing against that deck you known its strengths and weaknesses. And knowledge is power.

And most important Tip.
    Relax: it is just a game after all. A sane person doesn't hate you. Or try to piss you off. They are having fun and so are you. No one likes to lose but unfortunately in Shadow Era only one player is going to be the winner of a bout. But don't let losing be a total lose review your previous games and Critique your gameplay. Be very thorough and honest with yourself. And if that was your best don't let yourself down. Luck is also a factor. One that cannot be controlled. As long as you did your best then don't sweat it. Because be angry and calling someone a lucker or a bunch of derogatory names won't settle the fact that you still loss and Now you just offended or hurt someone's feelings. What'l if that person is depressed? Or has been going through a lot? You don't know the person on the other side. And since this is a game that person could be 12 years old or 80. You don't know. But relaxing helps you focus and all the other tips above can be applied easier when relaxed. The tips I provided I have learned from my mentors Mighty oak and abysmal and many other of my Blue Phoenix brothers. These tips work and will help improve game play. I once heard from a wise player. "It wasn't the fact I was beaten by a better deck. The fact is I was beaten by a better player." Your deck is just the way you play the game. But the way your run it, drive it, ace it. Will dictate where you stand in the Community and with the rest of the pros.

If this was helpful type in the comment section below
    #IloveTips!

If not.
    #Idontcarehaveaniceday.
    Avenger Of The Fallen Blade,
    Warriors Of The Blue Phoenix
    Greatness , Reborn

LDL CHAMPION 23 APR 13
    Season 15 Ranking: 65
    Season 22 Ranking: 88

Blue Phoneix Guild Leader

JOIN THE MOST EPIC GUILD EVER: Warriors of The Blue Phoenix

http://www.shadowera.com/showthread.php?19877-Guild-Warriors-of-the-Blue-Phoenix-Greatness-Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Great guide and tips man =]
    "Try and try until you die...or succeed...whichever comes first"

Jo3yb0i - Knight of Dark and Light
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Drawing Power - A Brief Analysis of Draw Cards

My PM | <(^.^)> | Helpful Links | <(^.^)> | IRC | <(^.^)> | IRC + Game | <(^.^)> | SE DeckBuilder

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Good stuff. I think the most important one was in the conclusion paragraph/remarks - remembering it's just a game, and win or lose everything will be alrights.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Lots to read, much text overload.
    #ilovetips
    (ง ͠° ل͜ °)ง the unseen phoenix donger is the deadliest (ง ͠° ل͜ °)ง
    Justiciar of the Audacious
    Warrior of the Blue Pheonix
    Greatness, Reborn

"When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car." -- Author Unknown
    (ง ͠° ل͜ °)ง the unseen phoenix donger is the deadliest (ง ͠° ل͜ °)ง

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Delay of Game View Post
    Good stuff. I think the most important one was in the conclusion paragraph/remarks - remembering it's just a game, and win or lose everything will be alrights.
    I agree with you, because no ones getting paid enough to get angry lol. And this is just a hobby or just something to entertain ones self.
    Greatness , Reborn

LDL CHAMPION 23 APR 13

http://www.shadowera.com/showthread.php?19877-Guild-Warriors-of-the-Blue-Phoenix-Greatness-Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by LucasBlitz View Post
    Lots to read, much text overload.
    #ilovetips
    Lol thank you Lucas I need to learn how to wrote better through XD
    Greatness , Reborn

LDL CHAMPION 23 APR 13

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Great read - will definitely direct my friends here to get them into the game.
    Thx levi

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by 21Bananas View Post
    Great read - will definitely direct my friends here to get them into the game.
    Thx levi
    Anytime enjoy my friend!
    Greatness , Reborn

LDL CHAMPION 23 APR 13

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Solid tips for anyone who wants to improve his gameplay and break into the competitive scene in SE.

+1 to Levi.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Nice. Especially the "don't sweat it" part - cuz taking it easy will help not just to have more fun but even to analyse ones own play...
    Twisted Marrow the Prophet of Mayhem
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn