Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Gravebone Tempo (be prepared to read a LOT)

So this is my Gravebone deck i have been using for quite a while now, almost since the begining of Fates beta, and i feel it is a pretty solid build. The deck has a lot of aggro, but i consider it a tempo deck because it just feels like one to me. NOTE: this deck wont get you to the highest of rank, but i peaked at 278 with this deck.

Deck List: (39+hero)

Hero:

Gravebone

Allies (23):

3x Keldor
    2x Death Mage Thaddeus
    4x Death Collector
    4x Harbinger of the Lost
    3x Cryptspawn Tormentor
    1x Corpse Shifter
    3x Falseblood Cultist
    3x Dakrath

Abilities (9):

3x Fireball
    3x Lightning Strike
    3x Sacrificial Lamb

Items (7):

3x Necromancer's Shroud
    2x Charred Cowl of the Damned
    2x Bone Sabre

So lets go over the cards and why i chose them. Harbinger of the Lost is just your usual turn 2 play, just for a little bit of early game, his discard effect isn't really necessary, but its a plus whenever he discards something like... a Dakrath for example, and you can just hero ability that Dak in 2-3 turns. Keldor is a card that some people say i should take out. i disagree with them when they tell me this, Keldor is really good at what he does. he just gives himself an Extra Sharp, which can be very useful, and can push for more damage when needed. Death Mage Thaddeus is just a pinger. He isnt all too necessary, and i usually find myself sacrificing him unless im going up again wulven deck that play a turn 2 Bloodpack Shaman. Death collector is, in my opinion, the best 3 drop that shadow allies have. there are a lot of 3-drop 3/4 guys, but not many that really pump themselves up as efficiently as this guy. Cryptspawn Tormentor has some really good synergies i utilize a lot in many games, one of which is using him with a Sacrificial Lamb. you get to draw your 3 cards, and you get to return your Tormentor back to your hand. Another is using Necromancer's Shroud with him. just blitz him back from the grave and them at the end of the turn he goes to your hand. He nis also really amazing againts cards like Black Garb. He also does go away as easily against those annoying mage burn decks that surprisingly still exist (yes, i hate those deck a lot). The biggest thing i get questioned on is why i only play one of the Corpse Shifter. The answer is pretty simple actually, its because he is way to slow. Corpse Shifter is to slow of a card because you have to wait a turn to use his ability, and yes that applies to all non-haste allies, but with this guy, he becomes target #1 as soon as hes out because he can do at most 5 dmg in one turn (its almost like having a 5/6 for 4 resources, i think people are going to show a lot of hate to that). Falseblood Cultist? in an undead deck? but it has no synergy whatsoever...? well actually it does, but it is only one that is highly circumstantial. Falseblood Cultist is always my turn 4 play if and only if i have a Dakrath in my hand to discard, and them re summon with Gravebone, which actually happens very often. i rarely use Falseblood to discard cards that i dont need in the game because well... most of them time ill just sacrifice them. Dakrth is my usual win-con. once hes out hes very hard to kill, and smacking your opponents face for 5 a turn is a pretty big deal. i dont use Tome of Knowledge of Tombstone Beacon for draw because they are way to slow to me. Tome of Knowledge is just bad because 2 mana for a card is so slow, sac lamb is 2 mana for 3 cards, much more value. Tombstone Beacon is just terrible because its a 3 cost. On turn 3 you have so much more to play (Keldor, DMT, Death Collector, Cryptspawn). FIreball and Lightning Strike are your basic mage removal. i never hit face with either of these because its a waste. they are pretty much your ONLY removal, so save it for your opponents guys. (obviously you can hit face if it will win you the game) Necromancer's shroud is mostly used with Cryptspawn Tormentor, but i can also use it on Death Collector and rarely, Keldor, but mostly for cryptspawn. Bone Sabre is something that i use quite often, because it is just a bomb. *has Dakrath on field* *has bone sabre* "gg" no really that happens, with that sort of setup (which does happen often) you can take down huge allies your opponent has without thinking to hard about it., last not certainly not least is Charred Cowl of the Damned. this card is just such a huge bomb, completely with being a 7cc card. when i look at this, i think "they come back alive with 1 less health" because basically theres no way to prevent the 1 damage they will take the next turn from fire.. except Dakrath.

Here are some cards that can work in this deck, but my reasons for why i didnt choose them:

Shadow Knight - i dont play shadow knight because it doesnt really do much when i use it. sure, he is a 5 attack beater, but theres no real way to control what you get back with him

Undying Bond - i used to love this card when i was playing a version of this deck that almost revolved around Corpse Shifter. it got me back my guys to throw at my opponents face again, but it got to be way to slow of a card, and when i didnt have one to use, i had nothing to do (note that these were actually in place of sac lamb, because they essentially were a type of "draw power")

Tombstone beacon - explained above

Tome of Knowledge - explained above

Shadow Font - not necessary

Frostmare - to weak

Notes about match-ups

Trying to win against heavy control decks (mainy priest) with this is basically going into a prison, taking off your pants, and bending over, this deck does well against burn because burn players have a one-track mind, they cant function once you have a good enough setup. this deck practically rapes wulven deck, every time. against twilight decks, its a matter of how much of your removal you draw. if you get 3 removal spells, your fine, if not, then you need to out-tempo them fast. i tend to lose a lot against Serena rouge decks, but i've won my fair share of games against them. (little note abut that, feel free to laugh your ass off when someone attacks Dakrath with Ankelbreaker, its freaking hilarious) this deck kinda rapes ravager decks hard, you just out speed them so much. Some rare solo darkclaw decks that are going around have beaten me most of the time. control warrior beats you pretty hard, mostly Boris, but others too. most hunter weapon decks are easy to beat, but youll lose to them sometimes as well.

well i hope you like this not-so-short description of my deck. feel free to comment on what you think should be used in this deck, who know, i might just try it out.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I enjoyed reading this. Thanks for sharing it. Nice to see some love for Keldor!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Good looking deck, and nice writeup.

One thing, why the need to have so many rape references? At least 3 I saw.
    The Paladin of Punxsutawney
    Warrior of The Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

IGN: BP Shadows R Us

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadows R Us View Post
    Good looking deck, and nice writeup.

One thing, why the need to have so many rape references? At least 3 I saw.
    Childhood trauma?

Besides that this is a pretty good deck its very sloooooooooooooow and controlled. Might take it for a spin.
    (ง ͠° ل͜ °)ง the unseen phoenix donger is the deadliest (ง ͠° ل͜ °)ง
    Justiciar of the Audacious
    Warrior of the Blue Pheonix
    Greatness, Reborn

"When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car." -- Author Unknown
    (ง ͠° ل͜ °)ง the unseen phoenix donger is the deadliest (ง ͠° ل͜ °)ง