Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sitting on 365

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    For the record, Otto7 has played 50 games so far this season, with 6 in the last 7 days and none of the opponent accounts belong to him.

Expect his activity to drop further from now, since he's just joined PFG4 and we're very pleased to have him on board.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    Playing against yourself on an alt account is cheating. Is that what you are saying Otto7 has done?
    No of course not! It's just kinda strange that a guy with a rating of 365 draws two games against an opponent with 145! An anomaly perhaps. That's why I said it will be interesting to see who he plays next. Your other point about alt accounts not being in the same name is perhaps a bit lame. Accounts or log-ins don't necessarily have to belong to the person who is playing them. I've opened accounts for my friends using their name and email to try to get them interested in playing.. ( spreading the good word ) Two of them I've kept going myself as I hope they will eventually join us. Not sure if this point is valid. I hope he is a valuable addition to the team
    Last edited by Alien Fungus; 02-16-2015 at 01:56 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien Fungus View Post
    No of course not! It's just kinda strange that a guy with a rating of 365 draws two games against an opponent with 145! An anomaly perhaps. That's why I said it will be interesting to see who he plays next. Your other point about alt accounts not being in the same name. I've opened many accounts for my friends using their name and email to try to get them interested in playing.. ( spreading the good word ) Two of them I've kept going myself as I hope they will eventually join us. Not sure if this point is valid.
    Those games might be custom matches as I don't think you should even be matched up with anyone with a rating of 145 if you're rated in the 300's.

You need to play at least one QM game every 5 days I think to keep your rating from decaying so if you can maintain that for the entire month, then good for you. The rating ladder offers no prize except for your name on the top of the leaderboard.

I'm not really sure if you're trying to point something out with Otto's games by saying "don't play anymore hard competition games" or "manufacturing".

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Custom games don't keep your rating from decaying. You need to play QM games for that.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by danae View Post
    Custom games don't keep your rating from decaying. You need to play QM games for that.
    Sorry I edited mine as you were commenting. Yeah good for him if he can hold the lead. But check the logbook and decide for yourself. You shouldn't be gaining points by beating an opponent over 200 points below you. What do you think

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Sorry I edited mine as you were commenting. Yeah good for him if he can hold the lead. But check the logbook and decide for yourself. You shouldn't be gaining points by beating an opponent over 200 points below you. What do you think
    Unfortunately, I can only check as far as 6 games back because of the new version of the game I have installed. You'll need to have someone like Gondorian look at that as I think he has access to that info.

Not sure how the matchmaking is working now but I think if you're not matched up against someone within a certain amount of time, it increases the range of the rating you can be matched up against until you finally do get a game going. If this is how it works, it could explain the large difference in rating points especially if he started playing shortly after it was updated with only a smaller population of players on the newer version.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    his rating went up from the previous match before the 2 created ones with sleeping dragon. would really appreciate that if you think someone is cheating to not call them out in public but pm gondorian or support private, just in case you might be wrong.

lil dark riding hood Queen of A1 Evolution in Theory
    Alliance One recruitment thread
    RED
    my EPIC videos
    Evolution in Theory
    SE Card Price Guide - My Deck Building Guide
    all my decks together
    owner of Earthen Protector flavor text
    Caitlyn™: collecting rage quits since 2011

Evolution in Theory

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    yeah - pretty sure the ranking system already takes this into account. It actually really sucks when you're ranked 300+ and get paired with someone ranked much lower. This can happen if you play at very low traffic hours, particularly after an update if the update is not available on all devices. A win barely moves your score -if at all, whereas a loss will drop you by five points or more...considering there is an element of luck in the game, such games are not really desirable.

If they're custom games against other opponents - so not quickmatch games, they don't affect the ranking at all. These sorts of games could happen because of tournaments or because of friendly matches, or setting up custom matches with alternate accounts in order to test decks out. All of these are completely legitimate ways to play, and would not be reflected in the rankings.

I think you're conflating my point of - it's easier to gain rating in the early season with some sort of imagined ratings inflation that probably isn't happening. In either case, I'd leave Otto out of it...pretty sure he's not gotten his ranking by cheating.
    IGN: ETC BobRoss
    "BobRoss puts the 'bRo' in Boss" - Gondorian
    Proud Member of ETC - Errors Terrors & Carers
    Europe/Africa Regional Champion 2014 (also top 8 in World Championship)
    See some videos with commentary of some of my Serena Games on Shadowera.net
    I also do a video show with TJ SamuelJ - Bob and Sam Trollin it Up!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by danae View Post
    Unfortunately, I can only check as far as 6 games back because of the new version of the game I have installed. You'll need to have someone like Gondorian look at that as I think he has access to that info.

Not sure how the matchmaking is working now but I think if you're not matched up against someone within a certain amount of time, it increases the range of the rating you can be matched up against until you finally do get a game going. If this is how it works, it could explain the large difference in rating points especially if he started playing shortly after it was updated with only a smaller population of players on the newer version.
    Good news ! He only has six games showing so it should be easy to confirm. And the games in question were less than two days ago. But he appears to increase his rating in every game he plays but two and all against lower rated opponents. I know my rating doesn't perform this well when I'm beating lower ranked opponents. This just looks weird.
    Last edited by Alien Fungus; 02-16-2015 at 02:48 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Good news ! He only has six games showing so it should be easy to confirm. And the games in question were less than two days ago. But he appears to increase his rating in every game he plays but one and all against lower rated opponents. I know my rating doesn't perform this well when I'm beating lower ranked opponents. This just looks weird.
    but of course he's going against lower rated players...his rating is 365...
    IGN: ETC BobRoss
    "BobRoss puts the 'bRo' in Boss" - Gondorian
    Proud Member of ETC - Errors Terrors & Carers
    Europe/Africa Regional Champion 2014 (also top 8 in World Championship)
    See some videos with commentary of some of my Serena Games on Shadowera.net
    I also do a video show with TJ SamuelJ - Bob and Sam Trollin it Up!