Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Lightbulb Maximum number of cards from 4 to 3?

Hi guys

I was browsing through the SE card list and man we have A LOT of cards. Most players will only put the best of the best cards in their decks. And some cards are staples in their respective classes such as blood frenzy, stop thief, and many more. These players put 4 of these cards in their deck to make sure they get them when they are needed. By auto including 4, i feel this inhibits the players from adding other cards into their decks to create a consistent 40 card deck. So i was wondering since our options vastly increased and there are many alternatives for removals, draws, allies.

WHAT IF THE MAXIMUM NUMBER OF CARDS IS DECREASED FROM 4 TO 3?

+This can increase in variety of decks
    +Focus on deckbuilding/fine tuning skills of a player.
    +Not the same cards over and over again.

Let me know what you guys think? DISCUSSSSSSSSSS
    "Try and try until you die...or succeed...whichever comes first"

Jo3yb0i - Knight of Dark and Light
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Drawing Power - A Brief Analysis of Draw Cards

My PM | <(^.^)> | Helpful Links | <(^.^)> | IRC | <(^.^)> | IRC + Game | <(^.^)> | SE DeckBuilder

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I can't really think about all the consequences this would have but I am open to it. Other option is easing deck size minimum.
    Last edited by Gondorian; 02-07-2015 at 09:22 PM.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I am never fettered or shackled by 40-card decks anyways when I use you-know-who deck.

I think a cap of 3 instead of 4 cards sounds like a fine idea...as long as it doesn't pertain to me. I hope I'm allowed to be the exception, because I deserve special treatment

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Sure.

Chances are we are going to have to play more cards we don't necessarily want to play in our decks but I guess it could work out well.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    We barely have any decks that aren't midrange or rush and I fear changes to deck size or card cap would kill them.

Making a 50 card or 3-of deck based on 3 drops, removal and draw isn't much different than making that deck with the current rules.

However, how do you make a Bounty Hunter, Divine Connection, Feedback or resource destruction deck if your key effect rarely shows up.
    FDL TV!

Channel | Thread | Twitter
    Deck Techs, Game Commentary, Replay Analysis and more!

FDL Tips: The Metagame, Balance and You || Empty Hands
    LL Decklists: Serena || Elementalis

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Why should a 3 copy limit be enforced just to improve deck variety? Wouldn't a 3 card limit actually decrease consistency? A fine-tuned deck is a consistent one.
    Last edited by Ganjamus; 02-07-2015 at 09:38 PM.
    Raised in Exile. Trained in Kiptergarten. Mastering the ways of SE one step at a time.

Long live the Queen...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganjamus View Post
    Why should a 3 copy limit be enforced just to improve deck variety? Wouldn't a 3 card limit actually decrease consistency? Filling in the empty spaces with other cards other than what you want would give you less of a chance of drawing what you want.

The general idea is that it would apply to everyone & all decks (except me, per my prior request for preferential treatment), but you get the idea.

The problem is the dynamics of the game might alter more than what one assumes at first blush, mainly because of the prevalence of multiple types of item-destruction/attach-removals/allies with these abilities/etc., of which even a limit of only 3 cards of each could still have a bigger impact. But who knows...whatever...these are just meandering thoughts by us anyways....not like it's actually gonna happen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Would you say Meltdown adds variety to the game?

If you think playing with Keldor is much different than playing with Death Collector, then yeah, you could say it adds variety.

But when you build your Meltdown deck, you look for an ally curve, some removal and a little draw support.

You're basically building a crappy Constructed deck that would play just like a regular midrange decks but with greater odds of not having the right card at the right time.

I can see how that is appealing for some, but for me it isn't.

I want to build focused decks and learn to play them well. If I'm bored with a deck, I try to learn a different style. That is how I get my variety.

I understand that I view CCGs more from a macro standpoint and others enjoy the micro part of it more, so keep that in mind.
    FDL TV!

Channel | Thread | Twitter
    Deck Techs, Game Commentary, Replay Analysis and more!

FDL Tips: The Metagame, Balance and You || Empty Hands
    LL Decklists: Serena || Elementalis

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by FDL View Post
    I want to build focused decks and learn to play them well. If I'm bored with a deck, I try to learn a different style. That is how I get my variety.

Meltdown blows. They don't let me use Millstalker, so I boycot it.

My cure to boredom or adding variety: I bust out 3 devices and simultaneously play 3 games, with 3 different decks. (Millstalker helps buy me time on one device Anyone that can't successfully maneuver 3 simutaneous matches on 3 accts gets classified as a total noob in my book. Just saying.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I could probably live with 3-card-rule
    could it be interesting? probably
    on the other hand, you could run some 3-card tournaments to try it out
    Deluded dreamer of universal Freedom
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn