Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

What do people think about the class decks?

Just curious if anyone's played them (rather than just selling for gold). What did you think? Is that a good intro for new players? Is this something you'd recommend to a friend, new to the game? Or would you just recommend selling them off and then net-decking something?
    IGN: ETC BobRoss
    "BobRoss puts the 'bRo' in Boss" - Gondorian
    Proud Member of ETC - Errors Terrors & Carers
    Europe/Africa Regional Champion 2014 (also top 8 in World Championship)
    See some videos with commentary of some of my Serena Games on Shadowera.net
    I also do a video show with TJ SamuelJ - Bob and Sam Trollin it Up!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    i don't think they are suitable for beginners to get used to the meta or the general playstyle at all, because they are not well balanced (with a lot of useless cards etc.). so i would rather advise someone new to just sell them in the store and pick one of the common meta-decks. this answer is kind of sad and i would really advocate new, better fitted beginner decks.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think they're a good starting point for a deck and a good place to start expanding their collection in terms of whichever class/faction they chose to start with, but they should not be used in PvP as they are and should be rather heavily modified. You know, more than one copy of each uncommon and rare while cutting out at least ten cards.
    Congratulations to Preybird for designing my Avatar!

In Game Handle: Warr Byrd

Contributions to the Game:
    Flavor text for Wild Berserker: The odds are always in my favor
    PFG3: To Be Released Soon™

Tournament Wins: None, I'm Timmy Johnny not Spike!

Shout out to Gondorian, nerull7, Nikola D, plo, Preybird, Super Grover, and Zhou86 for submitting potential avatars!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Warr Byrd View Post
    You know, more than one copy of each uncommon and rare while cutting out at least ten cards.
    Yeah, that's the tricky thing about this sort of thing - some heroes need 20 rares in a deck to be competitive, some can make do with fewer. Also some classes have heroes with drastically differing playstyles, so making a deck that is playable by more than one hero in a class is a challenge.

Is there any value in a deck that has potentially strong parts but is obviously suboptimal in some ways for new players? Like would that be a good teaching tool for deck building? I feel like handing a newbie a fully balanced and tested deck may be fun to play, but may not teach them much about resourcing, deck-building or how the game works.

If you've got a hand with a clearly inappropriate card and a clearly awesome card, then you start to get why resourcing choices matter. If you keep resourcing the same card, you probably learn that your deck doesn't need it, and learn why deck editing matters.
    Last edited by bobrossw; 01-28-2015 at 04:57 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by bobrossw View Post
    Yeah, that's the tricky thing about this sort of thing - some heroes need 20 rares in a deck to be competitive, some can make do with fewer. Also some classes have heroes with drastically differing playstyles, so making a deck that is playable by more than one hero in a class is a challenge.

Is there any value in a deck that has potentially strong parts but is obviously suboptimal in some ways for new players? Like would that be a good teaching tool for deck building? I feel like handing a newbie a fully balanced and tested deck may be fun to play, but may not teach them much about resourcing, deck-building or how the game works.

If you've got a hand with a clearly inappropriate card and a clearly awesome card, then you start to get why resourcing choices matter. If you keep resourcing the same card, you probably learn that your deck doesn't need it, and learn why deck editing matters.
    Do you think that this is something the DT should be consciously aware of in the future? Meaning making sure that the "best" don't necessarily have to rare, epic, or legendary, and also that there should be a wide range of mechanics included in the "viable" card pool (for learning purposes)?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Kross View Post
    Do you think that this is something the DT should be consciously aware of in the future? Meaning making sure that the "best" don't necessarily have to rare, epic, or legendary, and also that there should be a wide range of mechanics included in the "viable" card pool (for learning purposes)?
    possibly...it does feel a bit haphazard. For example, Victor can make a great deck with all commons and uncommons, the only thing missing would be soul seeker. Meanwhile Serena would be screwed if constrained to that. This is especially problematic when a key draw engine is rare, or those weapon heroes.
    Maybe it should be a design goal for future releases - when a card is designed that could potentially replace a key class card that is rare (as in not clearly superior, but a viable alternative), maybe some effort should be taken to make it uncommon or common.

I think a collectible game should reward people who collect, so having access to a lot of rares should be an advantage, but maybe having it be the same type of advantage across heroes would be a good goal.

I suppose an alternative way to make this more noob friendly would be to just rank heroes in terms of their dependence on rares (as we just did for the sealed deck tourney)...and really market to the noobs which heroes are the best to start with. People already tend to steer noobs to Eladwen, so I guess that's a start.

I think this issue will be highlighted in the upcoming sealed deck event - where, for example we may see that Baduruu without crossbow or grundler's double is not that scary.
    Last edited by bobrossw; 01-28-2015 at 07:11 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Kross View Post
    There always has been powerful and competitive common cards. Much of a rush Mages arsenal comes to mind.

Sure some heroes like Amber and Serena rely more on rare cards to carry the day, but Boris, the human mages and even the shadow mages can produce half decent decks without rares. Hell you can build a half decent Majiya portal without a single rare in it.
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'd argue that, at beginning levels of play, you could make a decent deck without any rares for any hero with the possible exception of the weapon based. But to do that, you still need 4x of the better uncommons, and the class decks only have 1x. Buying two of the new decks and selling the cards you don't use to buy additional copies of the ones you do use may be feasible for some heroes to build a competitive deck.
    Congratulations to Preybird for designing my Avatar!

In Game Handle: Warr Byrd

Contributions to the Game:
    Flavor text for Wild Berserker: The odds are always in my favor
    PFG3: To Be Released Soon™

Tournament Wins: None, I'm Timmy Johnny not Spike!

Shout out to Gondorian, nerull7, Nikola D, plo, Preybird, Super Grover, and Zhou86 for submitting potential avatars!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I guess there's another question - how competitive should decks for newbies be? I mean - I think the class decks are decent enough to play against eachother and against other newbies. They won't get far in tournaments or at higher ranks, and the weapons heroes will be worse than the others...but you still get a decent game out of them.
    Last edited by bobrossw; 01-28-2015 at 09:19 PM.

Banned
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I thought the newbie decks were fine when I started playing. First deck I had was boris. Don't get me wrong the deck was awful and not anywhere near competitive. But that's how it should be. Remember when you first start playing your rating is nothing, so you're matched against other players who don't know the cards and are stumbling to get the cards to combo.

It's the perfect time to see what works and what doesn't; for new players to find out which cards *they* like. I wouldn't hand a new player a well ballanced deck. It takes the fun out of the deck building process. And when the new player comes accross something they can't kill, or can't destroy...they can figure out how to deal with it,

Giving new players crap decks and letting them grow on their own is what brings new challanges to the quick match. Other wise what you see is everyone playing the same serena deck, the same skervox deck, the same aramia rush deck....