Close

Junior Member Princess Chiomara's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Improving Gameplay Help

Hi everyone!

I am a returning player so i have some understanding of the game mechanics, but i have never been a very good player. I want to improve my gameplay but i don't have very much time to play so thought it would be a good idea to pick one hero to focus on, rather than constantly changing around -

First of all, is that a good idea?

i have tried most heroes out but never really settled on one i like until i tried Majiya recently. I like the more steady pace when compared to Amber Rain, who I was primarily using before (mainly as just about every deck I came up against back then was a mill deck and the only strategy I could come up with was to rush the other player). I was recently looking through the decks that did well in the championships for some guidance and I noticed Majiya was conspicuous only by her absence so i wanted to check -

Is Majiya a good choice at the moment?

and, if she is, what sort of deck is a good fit? are portals still useful?

thanks for the help

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Majiya has always been a mystery to me. She got a lot of new tools this set but for whatever reason she's fallen out of favor. I would think that cards like Flameborn Defiler would be good for her Portal deck (it boosts her ability) so it's really odd to me that I don't see her at all. The one time I saw her in QM (after SF) she was running a solo burn deck.

I wish you luck in your endeavors!
    Raised in Exile. Trained in Kiptergarten. Mastering the ways of SE one step at a time.

Long live the Queen...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganjamus View Post
    Majiya has always been a mystery to me.
    Same here.

Her ability looks good and she has access to the best burn in the game and the same ally pool Banebow and Zaladar use, yet they are Tier 1 and she isnt.

Makes you realize how important board control is in this game.

That being said, she's very playable.
    FDL TV!

Channel | Thread | Twitter
    Deck Techs, Game Commentary, Replay Analysis and more!

FDL Tips: The Metagame, Balance and You || Empty Hands
    LL Decklists: Serena || Elementalis

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Portal Majya, still a staple, you can do a tribe deck w her, or always include Pheonix as a card, it's just so great to survive nova and come back!

I think Majya is fine, she's just not the flavour of the month , atm. As for improving game play,
    Practice,
    Practice
    Practice,
    Play any match up, try to see what your weakness is in the mu, then tech your deck.
    Find and exploits your opponents weakness.
    In QM this is hard to do as you don't know what's coming next but you'll get a feeling fir what's working generally.
    Talk to people, that's your best way forward.

Join us in telegram chat (there's a thread in new players section) , I can add ya if you on it.
    Join a guild, my personal favourite is A1? Surprised! Lol

But talking w other players, playing games to tech you deck or discuss theory and testing, is the best way forward!

Welcome back to SE!
    A1 kip thorp
    the daddy daughter team of death
    Proud Graduate of Kiptergarten
    A1-Alliance ~ Evolution in Theory

A1 Alliance LEADER & Crash Test Dummy
    Check out our recruitment thread

Junior Member Princess Chiomara's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks for the help everyone!

good to know Majiya is still playable as its taken me years of on/off play to find a hero I like the feel of! I will just have to try out different decks until I can find a way to get that all important board control working - something i generally get obsessive about anyway lol.

And Kip thorp - thanks for the suggestion of telegram chat - i have no idea what it is so i will go look for that thread now

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Chiomara View Post
    Thanks for the help everyone!

good to know Majiya is still playable as its taken me years of on/off play to find a hero I like the feel of! I will just have to try out different decks until I can find a way to get that all important board control working - something i generally get obsessive about anyway lol.

And Kip thorp - thanks for the suggestion of telegram chat - i have no idea what it is so i will go look for that thread now

I mostly play one hero, and I have a couple really solid decks with Boris. Went for that before I started really trying other heroes as well.

In addition to what Kip said, I always suggest checking out tournaments. Play or just watch them. You can pick up some good tricks that way.

I don't see a lot of Maj either, (though I haven't been to a tourny for a while either :|) but you can still pick up strategies with mages or just in general.
    Proud Member of Alpha Predator
    Brotherhood. Honor. Glory.

I may set you on fire. It's not personal, I just like fire.

IGN: AP Flamebringer