Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

What if Shadow heroes had access to protector?

I was thinking about a card that is immune to abilities in general, which is something lacking from SE atm. So I came up with the following ally. Do you think that it is OP?

Name: Ravenlord
    Type: Shadow Ally - Unique
    Stats: 4 attack / 6 defense
    Cost: 6cc
    Passive Ability: Ravenlord can't be targetted by abilities.
    Active Ability: 2cc Ravenlord gains protector until the start of your next turn.
    Flavor: "A shield of ravens is impenetrable."
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Devoted Protector of the Phoenix's Ashes
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Bounty Price series: The mercenary challenge | The toll bridge | The Conq's tea
    Other tournaments: Battle of Ages | The Fighting Buddy | The War Games
    BP Bobbypim's expansion: Dwarven Aid | Undead Siege | Viking Storm | Coming of Dragons
    Useful links: Colosal's guide for TO

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    At the moment only Shadow Warriors have access to Protectors, but rarely use them.

Yari Spearman
    Warrior Training

oh and Wulven too

Griptooth
    Extra Terrestrial Cardplayer

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    One thing:
    I thought about immunity to abilities too but noticed it would be extremely OP when the ally somehow has access to stealth - Moonstalker for example.

Assassin of the coming winter
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by maxi1230 View Post
    One thing:
    I thought about immunity to abilities too but noticed it would be extremely OP when the ally somehow has access to stealth - Moonstalker for example.
    That's a good point. What about if there is a clause like "While you control more than 3 allies, Ravenlord loses all passive abilities"?
    So you can't overrun the board and still have it to protect them. It will lose both immunity, protector (if it is activated) and stealth (in MS case).
    Greatness, Reborn

BP Bobbypim's expansion: Dwarven Aid | Undead Siege | Viking Storm | Coming of Dragons

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Sounds and looks cool, but really unfair in some ways.

It would be extremely overpowered for Gravebone if you ask me:

-Supernova the board to clear it
    - Resurect a discarded ravenlord from the graveyard.

Opponent has no way to remove him instantly (since immunity to abilities) so will drop something else....

In your turn you can either wipe out what your opponent played or play another fatty like scourge colussus behind ravenlord, making 2 untargetable fatties. I can't see anyway to come back from that

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Would it be more sensible then to change him to a Human ally? Although Humans have a handful of good options for 5-7 cc allies, I could definitely see some use of him.
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Not being targetable by abilities is a very strong ability. You can see that it's strong with cards like stoneskin that give you the effect once by destroying themselves, or lay low that gives you hidden at the expense of not being able to attack (a major drawback for rogues). I don't think it could ever be a permanent effect like this, and would instead need to have strong limitations to make it temporary or activated or only works under non-constant conditions (for example, if your hero used his shadow ability this turn...), or specific sub-set of abilities (for example support abilities, direct damage or attachments). Immunity from all abilities essentially eliminates the effectiveness of one of the three types of cards (items, abilities, allies). It's just like cards that eliminate the effectiveness of allies (see: everything in millstalker decks) - it becomes a negative player experience and can partially define the meta. This sort of thing also can result in either the power level of the game going up - which is annoying for seasoned players who can't use their old favorite cards anymore, or whichever card pool has access to that card being forever limited by that fact and the need to balance the entire card pool against that card's power. You see this sort of thing in the wulven card pool, which must be balanced with the expectation that Moonstalker will abuse stealth - and will therefore always have very limited access to certain types of cards.
    IGN: ETC BobRoss
    "BobRoss puts the 'bRo' in Boss" - Gondorian
    Proud Member of ETC - Errors Terrors & Carers
    Europe/Africa Regional Champion 2014 (also top 8 in World Championship)
    See some videos with commentary of some of my Serena Games on Shadowera.net
    I also do a video show with TJ SamuelJ - Bob and Sam Trollin it Up!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Drop his cost to (5) and his stats to 3/5, but change the text to read:

While Ravenlord is the only ally you control, it cannot be targeted by abilities.

(2): If you control at least one other friendly ally, Ravenlord gains protector until the start or your next turn.

Note: Not being targetable by abilities isn't the same as being immune to abilities. Mass effects will still get him.
    Last edited by BlanketEffect; 12-20-2014 at 05:40 AM.
    -Doctor of Philosophy, A1 Alliance - Evolution in theory
    Original designer of the Serena Superdraw® archetype; connoisseur of all things un-meta

Santa Bomb ©2011, Lamb Slam & Feedbomb ©2012 - All rights reserved

Zaladar - ZTC 3.0: The Feedbomb Dynamo <-- An iconic deck in Shadow Era history - SE v1.5

Listen to past episodes of State of the Era: a dialogue on all things Shadow Era, brought to you by Alliance One

We are all one mind, capable of all imagined, and all conceivable.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    ^ That's true about the mass effect abilities like Supernova, TW, Nish ability, Smoke Screen. And also he can't be targetted by its controller too!
    I just wanted something that could survive a plain Nova and kill a weenie by retaliation, that's why the higher stats. But if ppl thing that it would be too hard to kill, then your suggestion is a good fix

@bobross: I agree that it is a very strong ability, but the drawback is its cost first and the limitation of being untargettable by its controller. Stoneskin reduces damage as well and destroys the ability. This just prevents its use. Lay low is not even used except this fun Lance build, so I don't want to suggest something in this power range

So, all in all, do you believe that it would be better to turn him into a Human ally and avoid stealth/resurrection abuse?
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Perhaps.

Also, you could enchant him whilst you had another ally, then when that ally dies he'd still have the attachment. Farfetched.

I think the corrected version is seemingly balanced.
    -Doctor of Philosophy, A1 Alliance - Evolution in theory
    Original designer of the Serena Superdraw® archetype; connoisseur of all things un-meta

Santa Bomb ©2011, Lamb Slam & Feedbomb ©2012 - All rights reserved

Zaladar - ZTC 3.0: The Feedbomb Dynamo <-- An iconic deck in Shadow Era history - SE v1.5

Listen to past episodes of State of the Era: a dialogue on all things Shadow Era, brought to you by Alliance One

We are all one mind, capable of all imagined, and all conceivable.