Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Card syntax on sustain costs

On Thriss Almanac, why is it worded as "Sustain 1cc" rather than "Sustain (1)" where (1) is the icon for a 1 resource cost?

"1cc" would be short for "1 casting cost" which, in and of itself just doesn't make terminological sense, because nothing is being CAST, but secondly, there's an established icon system to indicate costs.

Second, the wording on Curse of the Aldmor is "Sustain 1SE" as opposed to "Sustain (1SE)" where (1SE) is the icon for 1 shadow energy.

This kind of syntax/wording just looks... janky.
    -Doctor of Philosophy, A1 Alliance - Evolution in theory
    Original designer of the Serena Superdraw® archetype; connoisseur of all things un-meta

Santa Bomb ©2011, Lamb Slam & Feedbomb ©2012 - All rights reserved

Zaladar - ZTC 3.0: The Feedbomb Dynamo <-- An iconic deck in Shadow Era history - SE v1.5

Listen to past episodes of State of the Era: a dialogue on all things Shadow Era, brought to you by Alliance One

We are all one mind, capable of all imagined, and all conceivable.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    So you're suggesting that they should just use the same icons that appear in the text of Jasmine Rosecult and Marshland Sentinel? I agree with that...makes sense.
    IGN: ETC BobRoss
    "BobRoss puts the 'bRo' in Boss" - Gondorian
    Proud Member of ETC - Errors Terrors & Carers
    Europe/Africa Regional Champion 2014 (also top 8 in World Championship)
    See some videos with commentary of some of my Serena Games on Shadowera.net
    I also do a video show with TJ SamuelJ - Bob and Sam Trollin it Up!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    ^
    Extra Terrestrial Cardplayer

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I believe was/is planned to be done this way, they just haven't gotten too it yet. But it certainly would make things look nicer on the cards and make more sense.
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."
    Account for any future SC transfers by Gondorian: BP tman507

Member of PFG3
    Master of Hand-to-hand Combat
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Official Shadow Era Wiki Moderator

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yeah, so... One and a half years later, sustain costs still say "1cc"

Wtf is "1cc"???

Yes, I know it means casting cost, but,

A.) The term "casting cost" isn't used officially in Shadow Era.
    B.) "1cc" just looks janky as fuck.
    C.) The effect/cost has nothing to do with anything being "cast" so why would a sustain cost use a term that isn't even from the game's actual terminology, and then use that term in a context that has nothing to do with casting something?
    D.) What could possibly be the issue with changing said janky looking term into the (1) resource symbol that everyone who plays Shadow Era recognizes?

The answer could be different than this, but my nominations are:

Laziness
    Stubbornness

Because, it's been like two years since these cards' release, and there's no reason they should still be being worded like those from a kid who made a card game with markers and index cards.
    Original designer of the Serena Superdraw® archetype; connoisseur of all things un-meta

Zaladar - ZTC 3.0: The Feedbomb Dynamo <-- An iconic deck in Shadow Era history - SE v1.5

Listen to past episodes of State of the Era: a dialogue on all things Shadow Era, brought to you by Alliance One

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Card syntax on sustain costs

I think the answer is priority (low) and also non-triviality due to requiring update of the card image generator to allow icons in the middle of a sentence as opposed to the start (for activation cost).

Thanks for the reminder on this. Clearly it's not high on anyone's list of things to improve but it would make the game easier to understand for new players and needs to be done before printing.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You're right, and I can see how it would be low on the priority list; it's gravy, not the meat and potatoes. Also, thank you for your clarification as to why it's not simply a, "Click this, edit this, press submit," sort of thing.

Still, we're two years in on these existing cards, not to mention any new ones that come along and still use the old, improper syntax. I mean, of course it's not going to happen, but can you imagine this "minor" issue being swept under the rug and overlooked if the set went to physical print?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I for one didn't understand sustain 1cc when I very first started playing. Took a little trial and error to figure out. And I'm not dense... Also come from playing magic and other games. So I'm positive the current wording effects other people as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylt View Post
    Could be better than fire snake version.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    How would we handle Sustain Health costs? A small blood drop then? Or do we stick with health. Also, would be interesting to do the first on the list for having effects that use health as a resource for activation. Rather than make it say a cost 0cc effect that deals Unpreventable damage.
    I like my weapons how I like my music. Heavy and metal!
    -Mordekaiser

Writer of Falseblood Cultist and Thriss Crucible flavor texts.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos Dark View Post
    How would we handle Sustain Health costs? A small blood drop then? Or do we stick with health. Also, would be interesting to do the first on the list for having effects that use health as a resource for activation. Rather than make it say a cost 0cc effect that deals Unpreventable damage.
    Could have 1 in a blood drop and then have that defined in the rules to mean 1 unpreventable damage to your hero.