Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

4x of an ally card or 2x of 2 ally cards?

Q1
    Example: 4x Spirit Warden vs 2x Spirit Warden + 2x Twilight Ritualist

Let's say your deck's strategy is not dependent on their abilities, is it better to use the former or the latter? Stat-wise they are the same. I think the latter is more flexible like you can play SW against GB or TR against Aramia, but somehow people prefer to have cleaner decks and use 4x ally regardless of their strats?

Q2
    4x Champion of Irum or 2x Champion of Irum + 2x Eleanor, Princess of Ellos

Since you can't play multiple Uniques, which is better? Again, assuming your strat is not dependent on their abilities.
    Last edited by Secruoser; 12-09-2014 at 01:46 AM.
    Extra Terrestrial Cardplayer

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Depends on the player I suppose. I think Warden is more useful overall but if my deck lacked item destruction then I'd run some Ritualists in there.
    Raised in Exile. Trained in Kiptergarten. Mastering the ways of SE one step at a time.

Long live the Queen...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I guess it's also easier to remember how many cards you have left for a 4x instead of a 2x?
    Extra Terrestrial Cardplayer

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Usually it is because they feel that 4x card is considerably better then the alternatives.
    The Paladin of Punxsutawney
    Warrior of The Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

IGN: BP Shadows R Us

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Secruoser View Post
    Q1

Let's say your deck's strategy is not dependent on their abilities, is it better to use the former or the latter? Stat-wise they are the same. I think the latter is more flexible like you can play SW against GB or TR against Aramia, but somehow people prefer to have cleaner decks and use 4x ally regardless of their strats?
    Quote Originally Posted by Secruoser View Post
    Q1

I tried this myself. I used two copies of allies with different abilities while keeping the deck size under 45. My idea was to use it like a swiss army knife. I was gonna depend on the variety of my arsenal as the situation arised. It seemed to be working for a while. While I was under 200 rating. The moment I started to play against tougher opppnents I started to lose more often than desired.

The problem is such a deck appear to be doing something but whatever it attempts to do, it doesnt deliver a strong outcome. It easily falls apart against specialized decks. I since realized focusing on a clear objective yields better results than trying to cover all sink holes. I don't copy my decks from somewhere else. I want to figure deck construction by trail and error. So I am constantly tweaking my deck. I still carry two copies of certain allies, but majority of my deck is more focused now.

This is my experience so far. Somebody else may have a better suggestion.
    Best

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    There's a thread on here about optimal levels of cards to put in a deck. Essentially when you have 4x any card you are deciding that it is central to your strategy. Draw engines often fall into this category as do opening allies.

Using 2x any card is what you do for tech. For me, I like 2x Spirit Wardens because I consider them tech. If I used twilight ritualist, I would probably also run 2x them as tech. I prefer Soceror of Endia, which I've got two of in my Serena deck. If I were playing a deck where a 3cc ally was particularly important to my strategy (for example, Aldon or Midnight Sentinel), then I would probably have 3 or 4 copies in a deck. If you absolutely want that card in your opening hand, then 4x becomes important. Otherwise 3 or 2 make sense. If twilight ritualist is your only item destruction, then you'd want to have 4 (just like I've got 3-4x stop, thief! in my rogue decks). I don't know why you'd want 4x spirit wardens, unless you had a specific strategy built around them or were hitting a lot of decks with recursion or bouncing/exiling.
    IGN: ETC BobRoss
    "BobRoss puts the 'bRo' in Boss" - Gondorian
    Proud Member of ETC - Errors Terrors & Carers
    Europe/Africa Regional Champion 2014 (also top 8 in World Championship)
    See some videos with commentary of some of my Serena Games on Shadowera.net
    I also do a video show with TJ SamuelJ - Bob and Sam Trollin it Up!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Basically what Bobross said honestly... though I'd also add that the answer heavily depends on the meta and what your deck is most prone to... if you're prone to running out of steam vs recursion but aren't bothered by items... you'd go Spirit Warden... if you're prone to people outdrawing you or facing shadow-stall decks, then you'd want Twilight.

As far as the example you gave with uniques... that's kind of an off-kilter example because the two allies presented, while sharing the same drop slot, don't generally go in the same style decks. If core and cheap (like Aldon), I'd carry 4... if supplementary or expensive, I rarely carry more than 3 of a unique (Champ/Aeon/etc. fall into this category)... but that's more an overall construction choice rather than an analogous card choice. (a good example of a dilemma concerning uniques, was in DP - Champion vs Puwen in decks that want t2 presence... do you split 2:4, 3:3, or 4:2? I usually went 2:4 favoring puwen, since I could have 2-3 puwens out, but I couldn't replace that champ until the previous had died)