Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

What kind of armor can women wear optimally?

I am creating this thread to purposefully get male players to think about what kind of armor we women would be able to wear realistically in real life as opposed to just automatically thinking of female armor as skintight bodysuits, steel-reinforced bikinis (Cobraskin Wraps), and cleavage-baring mail (think Katrin the Shieldmaiden).

When I think about it, it is pretty ridiculous that I would be jumping into the fray of battle wearing Cobraskin Wraps or skintight bodysuits that offered no protection except to just distract male soldiers, which would actually be deadly in itself as they might be inspired to sexually assault me if I was parading myself around in those skimpy armors. I shudder to think about how painful an arrow would feel stuck in my boobs if they were pushed up and exposed in a cleavage-baring armor. lol

Any of you happen to be an armor expert in real life? Would the average woman be capable of wearing full plate armor, for example? I do not know the actual weights and mass of various armor and would love to find out. Would the average woman only be able to wear light chain mail and be able to fight effectively?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Something like Warbanner? From movies, if they've done good research I guess Joan of Arc would be good example of warrior woman.

Actually here is depiction of her:
    Last edited by Veles; 12-03-2014 at 05:47 PM.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    But regarding your marks about armors in SE fantasy world you are overlooking the fact some of them aren't meant to actually protect the user. They are often magical items that primarily purpose is to achieve certain effect.

There are bunch of armors with males in them that aren't actually armors. Like metamorphic vest.

There are also well armored females in like Violent Thunderstorm and above mentioned War banner.

Regarding Cobra skin wraps it is indeed very revealing but I doubt anyone would find full metal armor in hot desert practical either.

You can say that harsh, low resource desert environment, and poor clothing represent cards effect that destroys players resources. So you can find some logic to why that art is chosen.
    Last edited by Veles; 12-03-2014 at 06:22 PM.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Full plate was astonishing heavy (easily 60 pounds), but by the fifteenth century so finely crafted and balanced that a knight was reported to have dismounted his horse into a forward roll. A woman in good shape could wear a full plate suit, like this:
    plate.jpg

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I was just waiting for someone to mention Brianne
    bah, who needs armor anyway, old Picts did quite well vs Roman legions practically naked
    Deluded dreamer of universal Freedom
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Seeing a women with Cobraskin Wraps would leave me resourceless on the battlefield so its quite fitting.

Eowyn in the Return of the King may be close to what you are looking for but like Veles said armor in SE aren't used to prevent combat damages except maybe AOA and the new Platinum Chainmail.
    Evolving Through Change

"I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met Jasmine. We ate lobster, drank Piña Coladas. At sunset we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over and over and over?"

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Something low cut and revealing, preferably minimalist. Showing off a good bit of leg and some cleavage. Wheres the rule that says you cant look hot in the heat of battle?

Seriously females and males that did battle in medieval times wore much the same thing. Armor, lots of it. That being said the number of female warriors of that period is pretty minimal.
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Preybird View Post
    Something low cut and revealing, preferably minimalist. Showing off a good bit of leg and some cleavage. Wheres the rule that says you cant look hot in the heat of battle?

Seriously females and males that did battle in medieval times wore much the same thing. Armor, lots of it. That being said the number of female warriors of that period is pretty minimal.
    In Europe at least. Back in Roman times there were the Scythian wild women. I also recall hearing about Celtic women going into battle or at least I can recall a couple of legends around it.
    Kicker of puppies, slasher of babies, and primordial Elder Lich.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    There are some good vids on Boudica.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I think this is the response the OP is looking for.