Close

Thread: Card wording

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Card wording

I just thought I throw this out there since it was a bit problematic for me when I first started playing.

The term "Ally" and "Allies" refer to the creatures players use to attack regardless if that creature is a friendly or an enemy. I get that now. However, when I first started playing, the use of the word "Ally" to refer to my enemy's creature confused me.

I'm expecting something like... "friendly ally", "enemy ally", "harmful ally" or something with a descriptive of the creature's stance with respect to me. I know it says "target ally" as in the one you selected, but the term "ally" to me at the time was defaulted to "friendly".

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Any ally/allies targeted and/or effected by cards are clearly labeled within the effect description of every card by utilizing the keywords or a combination of the keywords 'friendly', 'opposing', 'other' and 'all' as well as type and tribe specific keywords (if applicable) such as 'Warrior', 'Wulven', 'Elemental', 'Undead', 'Templar', 'Homunculas', ect.
    Last edited by Romantic Gunner; 12-08-2014 at 04:51 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It's a valid point, but way too late to change anything now.
    IGN: ETC BobRoss
    "BobRoss puts the 'bRo' in Boss" - Gondorian
    Proud Member of ETC - Errors Terrors & Carers
    Europe/Africa Regional Champion 2014 (also top 8 in World Championship)
    See some videos with commentary of some of my Serena Games on Shadowera.net
    I also do a video show with TJ SamuelJ - Bob and Sam Trollin it Up!

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure why Kyle Poole (creator of the game) chose to use the word "ally" where other games might use "creature" or "minion". WOW TCG uses "ally" too, btw.

My guess as to why Kyle chose to adopt the WOW TCG naming is that those characters are allies to your hero. Since each side has a hero, they are always allies to one or the other. It might also be because the game started out primarily as a human-centric game (the world of Balor has been invaded and you start out as one of the human heroes) so allies sound more like people.

Side note: We don't say "enemy ally" because it's an oxymoron, so it's "opposing ally" instead.