Close

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Depiction of women on card art in Shadowera

DISCLAIMER: This might be a sensitive topic for some and I don't mean to offend anyone nor start an argument. But I wanted to ask this out of curiosity.

I am one of those rare players who is a woman and found this game after playing Magic the Gathering for years and quitting it (although I just tried out Magic 2014 few weeks ago - I am not completely satisfied with the game).

Shadowera is an excellent TCG and I have tremendously enjoyed playing it... However, I noticed how sexist card art was being towards women in this game and some card abilities being sexist as well.

Practically all women on the card art is depicted as sexy with enormous and ample breasts and always showing cleavage. They are dressed pretty skimpily. Also their poses tend to be suggestive and some of their abilities were sexist. They just scream "sexualized" to me. Examples include: Jasmine Rosecult, Sandra Trueblade, Brigette Skullborn, Erika Shadowhunter, Braxnoxian Temptress, and so on.

I don't recall seeing the same amount of blatant sexuality in Magic when I played it. It just made me feel women were being potrayed as the weaker sex and having to rely on their charms/looks/sexuality to get what they want on the cards arts and in abilities (Layarian Seductress, I am looking at you!).

On the flip side, I hardly see men being shirtless on card art, even for human warriors (look at the movie 300 and countless other war movies with greek/roman themes). Men also are portrayed as powerful, intimidating, and forceful in most of the card art and abilities.

I am very aware that most of the TCG players are men and they probably prefer seeing those sexy women over sexy men on cards. My question is: why is there so much sexualized women in Shadowera card art and them frequently having abilities related to their looks or sexuality? Is this necessary to draw into male players?

Would the game be any different if we covered up all the women and eliminated the sexualized terms such as "seductress", etc? Would I feel better if there were just as many shirtless male heroes on the cards? Maybe? lol.

Again, just my thoughts and pondering after seeing all those cards and comparing it to Magic. It appears to me the target audience for Shadow Era is probably males in their teens or early adulthood, based on the card art.

I am not on a crusade to change card art or anything. I just wanted to know what you male players thought about all of this.

P.S. My degree is in sociology and gender is one of my branches, so hence, the reason for this inquiring post.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I agree that several cards are a bit over the top. Bloodlust makes me embarrassed to play the game in public whee someone might see my screen. That is the only one I think is ridiculous. There are several others like the ones y mention that are what I'd consider borderline.

FYI, I'm a middle aged,male. I've got a six year old who always wants me to add Jasmine to my deck, I guess he is a butt man??? Anyway, I'd prefer to not have to keep telling him to stop talking like that, on the other hand it is much more tame than many things in TV so I'm torn. At least it gives me a chance to talk to hm about objectifying women, and the roles it has in r society. Anyways, done rambling.
    Last edited by Gondorian; 12-01-2014 at 04:04 PM. Reason: He meant Bloodlust, not Bloodthirsty
    The Paladin of Punxsutawney
    Warrior of The Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

IGN: BP Shadows R Us

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hi HumanPriest!

I'm not used to post in this forums, altrough I'm quite active on the game itself; but I really liked your post and the way you explained your position, so I would like to answer with my two cents. Just for the record, I'm a 30 years old spanish man.

I think that in our world, there are some fiction productions that simply need to be unfair for them to be what they are. I will try to illustrate this with examples:

- 300: It is based on the assumption of spartans being strong, free, hair-removed and good combatants, and persians being savages, slaves and individually weak. This is obviously an exaggeration of the reality, but if the movie were "fair" with persians, it wouldn't be what it is.

- The Fresh Prince of Bel Air: I think there is not a single clever white guy in this TV series . All main and important characters are black people, and the series wouldn't be as good as it is whithout this "racist" trait.

- The Devil Wears Prada: I love this movie! It is centered on strong female characters, with important decisions to take and a lot of power in their hands, males being just "satellites" for them, even if it's on a subtile way. But once again, if this movie showed guys as strong as gals, It wouldn't be what it is.

The moral I'm trying to show here is that some productions NEED to be unfair: sexist, racist ... whatever. In the case of Shadow Era, it shows a world where males must be strong to survive, while females, as they are not as strong, must use other strenghts like sexyness ( Jasmine Rosecult ) or tactics ( Tala Pureheart ) to do so.

I agree that CCGs and Shadow Era in particular are sexualized games, but I thing this is one of the traits that defines them. Without this, they wouldn't be what they are.

Cheers!
    Last edited by magorules; 12-01-2014 at 07:49 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Extra Terrestrial Cardplayer

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Consider that the Design Team was a group of only guys, maybe that colored their views on card art.
    Magic the Gathering also has a larger budged for card art, I believe they work with inhouse artists so maybe they have more control over the art. It does seem the latest heroes, raikka, tala, and aramia are some of the more dressed heroes.

You could wait until Gondorian finds this thread to hear from some of the people involved.
    Mip - Keeper of the Eternal Flame -
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

IGN: BP Mip1

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    More shirtless, hairy chested man! Justice! Being hairy is ok!
    Last edited by Veles; 12-01-2014 at 09:22 AM.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Indeed, Deathbone presents an unfair body shape ideal.

In all seriousness however yes some of the art is really ridiculous (Bloodlust, Cobraskin Wraps) however you will note they have scaled it back a lot in later sets (lets pretend Eleanor doesnt exist ) Many of the female characters in the expansions are far better clothed.

The irony is that the all of the card examples listed above were drawn by female artists.
    Last edited by Preybird; 12-01-2014 at 10:01 AM.
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Zailen Crusader looks amazing. Well-armored yet still aesthetically pleasing. I want more Zailen crusaders!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    This is why Zailen Crusader , Aramia and Fate Weaver are my favorite card artworks

Anyway , Layarian Seductress is the card Trias Digital spent most effort detailing , boobs power :3
    Last edited by G.P; 12-01-2014 at 11:35 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    some of the original art is more revealing btw.
    and I really don't care about the art as long as it works well with the card itself (Sindarok hate once again )
    and my fav female card in the game is Elizabeth, but I doubt many share my opinion
    Deluded dreamer of universal Freedom
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn