Close

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 152
  1. #121
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    613
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    You and me both...but hey I'll be awkward over douchebag any day
    ETC

    ENJOY THINK CREATE

    I'm an ETC newbie so please underestimate me (I like advantages )


    “I'm awesome.”-Me

  2. #122
    Senior Member PriestAmar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    109
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by HumanPriest View Post
    DISCLAIMER: This might be a sensitive topic for some and I don't mean to offend anyone nor start an argument. But I wanted to ask this out of curiosity.

    I am one of those rare players who is a woman and found this game after playing Magic the Gathering for years and quitting it (although I just tried out Magic 2014 few weeks ago - I am not completely satisfied with the game).

    Shadowera is an excellent TCG and I have tremendously enjoyed playing it... However, I noticed how sexist card art was being towards women in this game and some card abilities being sexist as well.
    ...

    P.S. My degree is in sociology and gender is one of my branches, so hence, the reason for this inquiring post.
    This is 21 century, do we still have to be so much obsessed about female form? Shadow Era is a fantasy card game. In fantasy worlds characters usually represent an arctheype. Heroes are too good looking, monsters are too ugly, powers are too extravagant, evil usually is pure evil, good is always good. You can find countless examples of this in fantasy literature. Thats in a way is the nature of it.

    But you see nobody, mentions about the ugliness of the monsters, nobody complains about the heroes constant need of fight and destruction. Nobody cares about the violence. Why? Because everybody knows this is just a fantasy world, and even if it was real we still accept the competition and struggle as natural.

    Instead we are focusing on the female body. Yet it is not even a real body. It's just a imaginary representation of it. It bothers us though. We are not sure how it needs to be dressed, how it is supposed to stand. Is it too sexy? Not sexy enough? How to approach it? How to deal with it? We are confused about it, almost scared by it.

    Individual cards mentioned in this post: Jasmine, she seduces her opponent hence disables for a turn. The art fits her ability. Sandra, is she even sexy? Maybe her only offence is not being ugly. Erika mostly covered with leather. What is bothersome here? Her breasts? Layarian Seductress, just a woman in a dress. What is troublesome about her? A bit of skin showing her legs? Bloodlust, it's a grey vampire.

    This card game doesn't objectify women. As I said It's a fantasy world and in fantasy worlds there are archetypes. They'll be beautiful, powerful, scary, evil etc.. What objectifies women is our obsession, our worries, our confusion about the female body. It's just a physical form. Every living thing has one. Every gender has a bit difference compared to other. All this is natural.

    And if we don't start making threads about it, most people won't even pay too much attention to it. They'll just be thinking about which card to play on their turn.
    Last edited by PriestAmar; 12-05-2014 at 04:06 PM.

  3. #123
    Senior Member Flamebringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    340
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PriestAmar View Post
    Sandra, is she even sexy? Maybe her only offence is not being ugly. Erika mostly covered with leather. What is bothersome here? Her breasts?

    And if we don't start making threads about it, most people won't even pay too much attention to it. They'll just be thinking about which card to play on their turn.
    With Sandra and Erika - Heh, what reason would there for wearing armour in some places than leaving your stomach bare? And there's the little... I dunno, loop?(Dunno what to call it :|) around Sandra's chest that's bare as well.

    Stuff like that is what I would call the point. With cards like Jasmine as Seductress (and I agree that Seductress isn't anything I would call ridiculous either) there's a reason and it makes sense. With, say, Erika... Well, black clothing or something (hide in the shadows) would make a lot more sense.


    For the most part I think you're right that it doesn't come up much. I hadn't actually noticed the details I mentioned above about Sandra before this thread.
    But I have found it an interesting discussion. I will say that the thought of sexualization came to me independently a couple times - Mostly because of Elinor.
    Proud Member of Alpha Predator
    Brotherhood. Honor. Glory.

    I may set you on fire. It's not personal, I just like fire.

    IGN: AP Flamebringer

  4. #124
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    41
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    After reading the entire 13 pages of comments, I have to say I'm impressed that this hasn't devolved into a massive freakout on either side. Speaks volumes of the SE community compared to others (I'm looking at you, Kotaku/io9). I say this due to how hard people lost their minds when the Milo Manara variant cover for Spider-Woman came out. She's in a crawling pose (one that we've seen Spider-Man's fantastic ass in repeatedly and no one cared), and the community at large lost their shit about how oversexualized it was.

    The thing is, sexualization is something that happens in the mind of the viewer, much like some people sexualize hands, feet, or people in furry animal costumes. Just because something looks sexual to you doesn't mean it does to everyone, nor should said thing be stifled because some people don't like it. That's the sad hypersensitive world that we've ended up living in where, like Preybird said, you can't even compliment a woman without anyone within earshot thinking you're a massive pervert.

    So, HumanPriest, how do you feel about women in bikinis on the beach, or girls in microdresses up in the club? Is that just oversexualization that should be stopped as well? I'm not trying to start shit; just posing a question that I probably worded more aggressively than it's intended, and I'd like to have more of a discussion than I did with Rob Bricken of io9.com who just deleted my comments and suspended my account. I mean, I like seeing attractive women in bikinis/short skirts; does that mean I stroll the beach/club with a perpetual hard-on? No, because that's 1) dangerous if it lasts more than 3 hours and 2) nothing that's overly sexualized to me. Maybe I'm numb to it, or maybe I'm missing out on something which is why I'd like to actually talk to people who can be sensible about all this (and so I take it to my SE people).

    I'm sure some women and men like seeing overly ripped comic book heroes, others like busty girls with waists that look like would just snap in half under the weight of their cans, others like lean David Tennant on Doctor Who types, others like perpetually-covered emos, others still like other body types, even non-humanoid ones, and if that's what gets them going: have a field day. Different strokes for different folks IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!

    But despite my views on an obviously sensitive subject, like I said, I appreciate the civility here and look forward to more discussion, even if in the end we just agree to disagree, at least the conversation happened and we walk out with a little more of other viewpoints.

  5. #125
    Senior Member Flamebringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    340
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Anson Darkeblade View Post
    After reading the entire 13 pages of comments, I have to say I'm impressed that this hasn't devolved into a massive freakout on either side.
    ...
    But despite my views on an obviously sensitive subject, like I said, I appreciate the civility here and look forward to more discussion, even if in the end we just agree to disagree, at least the conversation happened and we walk out with a little more of other viewpoints.
    Agreed, and I'm very glad to see it too. Always nice to have an interesting discussion that doesn't devolve into a mass of trolls :P
    Proud Member of Alpha Predator
    Brotherhood. Honor. Glory.

    I may set you on fire. It's not personal, I just like fire.

    IGN: AP Flamebringer

  6. #126
    Senior Member Saf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    MK, England
    Posts
    333
    Tournaments Joined
    1
    Tournaments Won
    0
    The females are depicted sexually because 99% of SE players are male. A company simply pandering to its fans. If the ratio of players was 50-50 then it could be inappropriate. Wth is with the internet lately with unnecessary feminist articles and posts popping up(Cracked.com is among the worst for this)?

    You're a SE fan? Excellent! You're rare as a SE player because you're a woman? True, but understand because of just that you are playing a game that was designed for a majority that was in this case not yourself. Don't define your actions by being a female gamer to just perpetrate stereotypes. Cosmopolitan has male readers you think they complain there are no articles about cars or engineering (or SE lol) in the mag?
    BP Inactive member | IGN: SafOne

  7. #127
    Member HumanPriest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    72
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobrossw View Post
    it's all in how its done. For example, when someone is clearly walking somewhere and is in a hurry, stopping them to ask them out is actually quite an imposition (no matter what you say). Refusing to take a polite "no" for an answer. Leering at someone and telling them they're hot, etc. as the preamble to asking them out - again when they're just walking down the street - that's harassment. The most important thing to recognize is that for many women, even if you ask nicely, if you're just going up to them in a public place that is clearly not designated for dating then you are probably one in a long stream of clueless guys that have done the same thing. It's exhausting. While any individual guy may not be saying anything rude, the barrage of many men approaching women with various levels of expectation and respect when they're just trying to go about their normal life is experienced as harassment. This video is a great demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1XGPvbWn0A

    I agree with you, women don't need me to protect them. I let my wife fight her own battles, and just offer her emotional support. But I do see it as my duty to talk to men about these issues in general because they need to be aware of these problems.

    also if you want to see the parody version
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC21NF5rbSk

    anyway sorry for derailing the thread a bit...but anyway that's the general thing that gets to me, and it's my motivation for caring about these issues: Women feeling unsafe and being mistreated. I'm not trying to accuse any individuals. If you've ever cat-called at a woman, or shouted something from a car window or continued to bother someone after they clearly said no, well you already know who you are.
    Bob, this REALLY struck home so hard for me...

    Because I had been experiencing street harassment from the same group of guys for few weeks few months ago until I had to change my bus route and take an earlier bus to just avoid them....

    It infuriated me that I had to change my routines for them but I had to look out for my safety from the harassers.

    Thank you, Bob. Men, especially gay men, do experience street harassment but it is not just on the same par as it is for women, in terms of frequency and intimidation.

  8. #128
    Member HumanPriest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    72
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Anson Darkeblade View Post
    So, HumanPriest, how do you feel about women in bikinis on the beach, or girls in microdresses up in the club? Is that just oversexualization that should be stopped as well? I'm not trying to start shit; just posing a question that I probably worded more aggressively than it's intended, and I'd like to have more of a discussion than I did with Rob Bricken of io9.com who just deleted my comments and suspended my account. I mean, I like seeing attractive women in bikinis/short skirts; does that mean I stroll the beach/club with a perpetual hard-on? No, because that's 1) dangerous if it lasts more than 3 hours and 2) nothing that's overly sexualized to me. Maybe I'm numb to it, or maybe I'm missing out on something which is why I'd like to actually talk to people who can be sensible about all this (and so I take it to my SE people).

    I'm sure some women and men like seeing overly ripped comic book heroes, others like busty girls with waists that look like would just snap in half under the weight of their cans, others like lean David Tennant on Doctor Who types, others like perpetually-covered emos, others still like other body types, even non-humanoid ones, and if that's what gets them going: have a field day. Different strokes for different folks IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!

    But despite my views on an obviously sensitive subject, like I said, I appreciate the civility here and look forward to more discussion, even if in the end we just agree to disagree, at least the conversation happened and we walk out with a little more of other viewpoints.
    In real life, women have the right and decision to dress however they want to and not everyone struts around in cleavage-baring outfits or bikinis.. or even clothes that expose their midriffs. All I would like to see is that card art reflects that reality - I would accept 50% of the card art showing women half-naked if the other 50% of the card art shows women appropriately covered up. The way it is now - it is like 85% of the female card art sexualizes women as in showing unnecessary cleavage, showing midriff, or being half-naked. Only very select few would be considered appropriately covered up.

    Magic the Gathering had some buff and half-naked guys on their card arts; that helped make up for some sexualized female card arts there. Here in Shadow Era, I cannot find any. Even the hottest guys (such as Knight of Ellos) are covered up.

  9. #129
    Senior Member Veles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    4,271
    Tournaments Joined
    29
    Tournaments Won
    2
    You haven't seen Frying Pan?

    Design Team Leader

    Check out this thread for some awesome articles and guides.

    “Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla




  10. #130
    Senior Member BDK16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Laval,Canada
    Posts
    6,509
    Tournaments Joined
    2
    Tournaments Won
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Veles View Post
    You haven't seen Frying Pan?
    Shawn likes buff guys, so dont worry, you'll see more of half-naked Shawn..........'s art of male characters

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •