Close

View Poll Results: Should Every Card Look Amazing?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 51.43%
  • No

34 48.57%
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Ultimately the issue is a budget concern. If Wulven can't hire MORE artists so they can get anything done on time, you think they can afford to hire professional studios to do pieces? Yeah, not all the art will be consistent and not all of it will be the same resolution or same level of skill. Not all art is to everyone's tastes. In fact, there's a large subset of Magic players who prefer the old days where the game had very little art direction where most pieces were low in quality and detail just because there was more variety that way.

Regardless, at the end of the day, it's not as important as you think. If you play the game by staring at your opening hand until the timer runs out, you're doing it wrong. If the company didn't focus on the game itself, you wouldn't be playing it at all in the first place. Wulven is not that big of a company and has to prioritize. Can't do everything.
    MistahBoweh - Paragon of Paragons
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

My Strategy Site: The Boweh
    Latest Article: USED: MistahBoweh VS SamuelJ

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Fury View Post
    I just want SE to use art that fits the theme of the DP and CotC sets, not differentiate in SF.

That said, the faster we get the art, the better. It should also be secondary to the features that should be developed for the game. Auction house, in game tournaments, campaign, everything has been on the backburner/works for too long. That's what's killing the game for players that have been around for a long time now.
    agree make campaign , ingame tournament before next expansion why u want to just selll card make digital people happy too new card new bug then all the creator will be busy in fixing bug stop all thing and please work on
    AUCTION HOUSE
    IN-GAME TOURNAMENT
    CAMPAIGN

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by plo View Post
    It is just my oppinion, but I don`t think Frying Pan and Exaltation are so bad as you are claiming. I don`t think they fall too far behind if you compare with the other art. Some are complaining about FP and Exaltation, but it has to be seen if there is concensus on this. It has to be seen if there are not many like me who thinkk they are reasonable.
    Me personally, I don't want cards that "don't look SO bad", I want cards that look really good, awesome and sick---that's how good of a game shadow era is, it deserves top notch art, all the time. "Not so bad is borderline bad".
    "Corruption of the soul is a fate that befalls the weak."

{IGN} Capo 9~ Enlisted{2}Endure {E2E}

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I like SE cards. Some of them have great art and lesser ones still don't look too awkward on the board. But I ageee with OP on certain points. It seems to me as more of a style problem than quality. I think people (me included) want card arts to have more consistency. Current SF style looks like a step backwards from Crystals.

The argument of SE not having enough budget doesn't hold ground though. How can they ever have enough budget if they don't give willing customers enough reasons to pay for. For example (since it's also art related) there are good number of sleeves and few mats. Here I am willing to buy more mats but my options are exhausted after few purchases. Not being able to get more mats in the style I want also means I stop buying new sleeves because not every sleeve goes with every mat. There are hundreds of artwork in the game, transforming more of them into mats and sleeves should be possible. Specially since the money will be earned from sales will directly affect SE's art budget.

TLDR, Having an ameteur sprit is good while creating a community, but offering more products for sale with consistent style / higher quality in a professional manner would help the company grow further more easily.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Just have all the placeholders replaced with images

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by WrathOfCroft View Post
    But the Pithing Spear has a spear in it. Thats not really what comes to my mind when I hear the word Blade.
    Well, A spear has a blade on it, right?? Either way, I do think that Viska should get the spear's art. But the spear shouldn't get Viska's art. I say put that art in the vault and use it later on, or not at all.

[edit:] Actually, now that I think about it. The spear should keep its art, because I think the focus of it is on the spear itself, rather than its wielder. Viska should be the one that gets new art.. (Perhaps drawn by the same artist that did the spear??). She is too epic of a card to not have epic art.

Quote Originally Posted by MistahBoweh View Post
    Ultimately the issue is a budget concern. If Wulven can't hire MORE artists so they can get anything done on time, you think they can afford to hire professional studios to do pieces? Yeah, not all the art will be consistent and not all of it will be the same resolution or same level of skill. Not all art is to everyone's tastes. In fact, there's a large subset of Magic players who prefer the old days where the game had very little art direction where most pieces were low in quality and detail just because there was more variety that way.

Regardless, at the end of the day, it's not as important as you think. If you play the game by staring at your opening hand until the timer runs out, you're doing it wrong. If the company didn't focus on the game itself, you wouldn't be playing it at all in the first place. Wulven is not that big of a company and has to prioritize. Can't do everything.
    I think art is very important. Magic had one thing to its advantage: it was in its own realm at the time. Nothing else to compare it to. The game itself was so interesting (because it was new and enjoyable) that it made the art irrelevant. However, Shadow Era has competitors (and by that I mean full scale digital CCGs); and over the years, the bar has been raised for these types of games in general. The art is a big part of what reels people in now. Note: Kyle must be aware of this, because having "gorgeous, original art" was a big marketing point for SE in the beginning. It most likely is still mentioned in its description on various app stores and gaming blogs.

But you do have a point that I agree with. If SE's art was to suddenly take a huge plunge in quality, its likely that Wulven would only lose a few customers from it, (since we already like playing it for other reasons besides the art). However, it very well could prevent Wulven from gaining a significant amount of customers, which is bad for everyone because less customers = less profits = less features.
    Last edited by Kross; 11-14-2014 at 04:47 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Nicely said Kross
    "Corruption of the soul is a fate that befalls the weak."

{IGN} Capo 9~ Enlisted{2}Endure {E2E}

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kross View Post
    But you do have a point that I agree with. If SE's art was to suddenly take a huge plunge in quality, its likely that Wulven would only lose a few customers from it, (since we already like playing it for other reasons besides the art). However, it very well could prevent Wulven from gaining a significant amount of customers, which is bad for everyone because less customers = less profits = less features.
    The main thing stopping Wulven from GAINING customers is lack of marketing, which takes money as well. So should money be spent on art or marketing?

The answer is both and that's where it is being spent.

Personally, I am very disappointed there is still missing art almost a year after this went to closed beta, but we have quite a lot in progress at the moment, aiming for all art to be on by Christmas.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I like Viska's art
    but seriously, change Sindarok
    Deluded dreamer of universal Freedom
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    The main thing stopping Wulven from GAINING customers is lack of marketing, which takes money as well. So should money be spent on art or marketing?

The answer is both and that's where it is being spent.

Personally, I am very disappointed there is still missing art almost a year after this went to closed beta, but we have quite a lot in progress at the moment, aiming for all art to be on by Christmas.
    I can agree with that, but I think using social media, the art can market the game for you, sort of.

Facebook post: "Share one of these post of your favorite art! If your favorite art gets, the most shares, you win 100 shadow crystals!!! (equivalent to a booster pack!!) You may share multiple posts of different images, but only one entry per photo!"

**Player shares, friend sees**

Friend: "Hey that looks cool! Where is that from??"
    Player: "A card game I play called Shadow Era. They have a great community and its free to play and easy to learn. [Link]"

A little exaggerated, but you get the idea. That would only cost Wulven $1 per share, basically. And you're getting more shares than you're paying for. (Not sure if that technically is expensive or not though. I'm not into marketing)

Not saying that all of the money should be spent on art and not marketing though. Both are important, as you said.