Close

View Poll Results: Should Every Card Look Amazing?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 51.43%
  • No

34 48.57%
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    No offense to prey bird. but wulven could have hired a professional to do the artworks.
    I can only agree in resignation. I don't remember in how many threads I complained about the art and that is the reason why I had to take a long hiatus from SE.
    But I have to say that I am glad that the art seems to have received quite a few updates in my absence and that most of it seems to have been done by professional artists (even though it might be terrible unfitting like Sindarok). I have become somewhat hopeful again. I just hope the art for the elemental cards will be replaced in the end (GDC did mention that PB artworks are only placeholders iirc) than I will be very happy indeed.

But I think we should maybe keep the artwork for Cutlass, since PB did put so much work into SF that he deserves a permanent card and I think Cutlass is by far his best work (and the card was community designed wasn't it?).

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You know guys that without PreyBird, 20% of the SF cards would be without artwork right? He did so many pieces, trying to keep consistency for the elemental cardpool, that other players complaining about now we lost consistency. Also he created the art when we didn't have any new piece for around a month iirc, thus giving a great boost for completing the set. And now you suggesting to remove his art? How would you feel when someone asks you to do some quite challenging work and then says Hey you know we will not use it, thanks for spending your time though!
    I will agree that some of his work look much more incredible than the other, but overall I like all his pieces. Imo wulven DP cards are the "ugliest" work so far, but I don't remember anyone complaining about it at that time.
    Devoted Protector of the Phoenix's Ashes
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Bounty Price series: The mercenary challenge | The toll bridge | The Conq's tea
    Other tournaments: Battle of Ages | The Fighting Buddy | The War Games
    BP Bobbypim's expansion: Dwarven Aid | Undead Siege | Viking Storm | Coming of Dragons
    Useful links: Colosal's guide for TO

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I am no professiional artists but art that bugs me specifically:

Tala Purehearth: Anatomically incorrect and weird posture.
    Bloodfang: Putting jeans aside, he looks like speed art. Solid speed art, but still looks like something thrown together fast
    Plightbred Runt: Gross, obvious Golem from LotR
    Some of the stuff from Vuk Kostic is really good but following ones look like another speed art, way too blurry: Grimghast, Cinderborn Familiar, Embers of the Just (I have no clue what is going on this one)
    Corpse Shifter: Another out of focus, what the hell is this all about piece
    Sindarok Apprentice: Art in it self isn't bad, but it is so out of place here it hurts my eyes.

Reagarding PBs art I think Oliver Fagin, Guardian of Unaxio, Cutlass, Reactorary are some of best new art in SF. Rest aren't up to that quality but given time restrain he is under that is reasonable. I do not think they are worse than average card quality in SE. Only art I am really bothered of his is the one for Stardust Extractor. I know its one of his earliest works but to me it looks too simplistic when you compare it to rest of new Elemental art which is so rich in color.
    Last edited by Veles; 11-17-2014 at 12:28 PM.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think this thread starts losing perspective when it becomes personal. Wulven is a professional company. No matter what the compensation deal is, anybody who is done a work for the company requires to be considered professional as well. When we start talking about artist feelings, we are not discussing the art work of a card game anymore.

I think leaving the artist names out of it and just sharing our ideas about the SF expansion's game art itself would be more productive. SF is still in beta right? Wulven can review the community feedback and if sees a need could make changes.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Punisher View Post
    You know guys that without PreyBird, 20% of the SF cards would be without artwork right? He did so many pieces, trying to keep consistency for the elemental cardpool, that other players complaining about now we lost consistency. Also he created the art when we didn't have any new piece for around a month iirc, thus giving a great boost for completing the set. And now you suggesting to remove his art? How would you feel when someone asks you to do some quite challenging work and then says Hey you know we will not use it, thanks for spending your time though!
    I will agree that some of his work look much more incredible than the other, but overall I like all his pieces. Imo wulven DP cards are the "ugliest" work so far, but I don't remember anyone complaining about it at that time.
    Quote Originally Posted by PriestAmar View Post
    I think this thread starts losing perspective when it becomes personal. Wulven is a professional company. No matter what the compensation deal is, anybody who is done a work for the company requires to be considered professional as well. When we start talking about artist feelings, we are not discussing the art work of a card game anymore.

I think leaving the artist names out of it and just sharing our ideas about the SF expansion's game art itself would be more productive. SF is still in beta right? Wulven can review the community feedback and if sees a need could make changes.
    I can only agree.
    I thought it was intended to replace the artworks at some point, but maybe I misremember, as I said I haven't been on the forums for half a year.

And since I don't want to cause any derail, I'll simply leave it at that.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Punisher View Post
    It just shows that WULVEN BIT OFF MORE THAN IT COULD CHEW... having more than a year to release a set with some substandard quality art? that's an awful way to keep their customers..with respect to PB he did a good job with some of his work, but if you're going to say that frying pan, and some of his mentioned artworks don't look like they were drawn by an amateur.. YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING!! Right??

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    hmm, maybe wulven should really be trying to just get art that everyone agrees is good. That shouldn't be too hard, right? All it takes is for every card, just have a poll where people can all weigh in, and if it gets 100%, then it's in. If not, start over. Easy! It should be easy to get people to all agree on art. They can also take into account criticism, like if someone says "hey this face is not gud." then they can just get someone to make it gudder. If someone says "this one needs to be more awesome." Then they can take out the old awesome brush. And if someone says "it's unprofessional", then they can get someone to draw it while wearing a suit!

[/sarcasm]
    Last edited by bobrossw; 11-18-2014 at 05:39 AM.
    IGN: ETC BobRoss
    "BobRoss puts the 'bRo' in Boss" - Gondorian
    Proud Member of ETC - Errors Terrors & Carers
    Europe/Africa Regional Champion 2014 (also top 8 in World Championship)
    See some videos with commentary of some of my Serena Games on Shadowera.net
    I also do a video show with TJ SamuelJ - Bob and Sam Trollin it Up!

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gnodab View Post
    I can only agree in resignation. I don't remember in how many threads I complained about the art and that is the reason why I had to take a long hiatus from SE.
    But I have to say that I am glad that the art seems to have received quite a few updates in my absence and that most of it seems to have been done by professional artists (even though it might be terrible unfitting like Sindarok). I have become somewhat hopeful again. I just hope the art for the elemental cards will be replaced in the end (GDC did mention that PB artworks are only placeholders iirc) than I will be very happy indeed.

But I think we should maybe keep the artwork for Cutlass, since PB did put so much work into SF that he deserves a permanent card and I think Cutlass is by far his best work (and the card was community designed wasn't it?).
    You recall incorrectly. What I have said repeatedly is that no art is locked down until printing, just as no wording is. We're printing in Spring 2015.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    You recall incorrectly. What I have said repeatedly is that no art is locked down until printing, just as no wording is. We're printing in Spring 2015.
    So that is were I got it from. Thanks for the clarification GDC!
    Btw will there be a twitch stream for the WC? All I found up till now, are some snippets on FDL's youtube channel, which were very interesting but at 360p
    Some high res videos would be a nice way to give SE more exposure and would allow to show off the awesome art SE doeshave

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Tbh.. I'm waiting for the relaunch of the old priest of the light art.