Close

View Poll Results: Should Every Card Look Amazing?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 51.43%
  • No

34 48.57%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Preybird View Post
    Frying Pan was never meant to be that zoomed in, you are seeing less than 20% of the original image. If you zoom in art to such extreme levels of course it's going to be lower quality.

This is the complete image.

Also if you have some constructive feedback I'd be glad to take it on board.
    It looks good Prey Bird. It just doesn't meet a high standard for a video game. It's not about zooming in, look at the guys face, the girls body and face, and just the whole thing, do you think Wizard would accept that? Or would hearthstone accept that art for their game? I guess it just looks like an old xbox game or something. I don't know how to explain it, any artist knows when his artwork meets the standard that is seen in comic books, game concept art etc. It's just not top notch for a game. It's great art, but it's not good enough for a high quality game like Shadow Era. But honestly Guardian of Unaxio looked pretty good man. Understand that there's different levels of skill. You have great potential but you must maintain a high standard when completing work. I'm sure you'll get better, just keep reaching for excellence. The guy who made Griptooth is an amazing artist.

As someone who's invested time and money on this game, I'm just expressing my disappointment. It not about crying, it's just a Review. Anyone with an art sense and who wants to maintain a high standard for shadow era would know what I'm talking about. It's not about bashing, I'm not trying to insult Prey Bird. I grew up drawing an appreciating art, so I have a sense for such things. Don't take it personal, just compare apples to apples and well if my standard is too high then ok.
    Last edited by Capo 9; 11-13-2014 at 09:32 PM.
    "Corruption of the soul is a fate that befalls the weak."

{IGN} Capo 9~ Enlisted{2}Endure {E2E}

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    There's some pretty ropey art in Call of the Crystals.

Having said that, we are getting the best stuff we can and Kyle has a good eye for art and will not take anything below his standards. It's why we still have some placeholders.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    There's some pretty ropey art in Call of the Crystals.

Having said that, we are getting the best stuff we can and Kyle has a good eye for art and will not take anything below his standards. It's why we still have some placeholders.
    I understand and know about the poor art in Call of the Crystals. But you pretty much summed it up in your comment, "We are getting the best stuff we can". I recognize your budget is just not like that of Wizard or Blizzard. I don't know man, I don't see myself investing any more money in this game now thou, if that's where the standard is. I guess it's just one of my pet peaves. I'll still play thou. I like the game, I love it actually but man...But maybe I'll just lower my standard, I don't know...

I suppose if you place that artwork in the game as it is (zoomed out) then it wouldn't be that bad. It's decent. The face for exaltation needs to be redone thou etc.
    Last edited by Capo 9; 11-13-2014 at 09:44 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    viska and abomination ally is not only bad, they are ugly and disgusting
    Bloodfang art is horrible
    Master of Puppets
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Check SE No 1 Guild

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    No I disagree, blood fang looks professional and pretty sick actually. Viska looks pretty good as anime style art. I have a good sense as an artist at heart, I used to love drawing and I still love games and comics.
    Last edited by Capo 9; 11-13-2014 at 09:48 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviosablade View Post
    Prey bird you did great without a doubt here's to every other cry baby: you don't like it freaking draw your own art and submit it to Wulven if not don't complain you didn't put any effort in you have no right to hash on the artist
    Everything in this world is subject to scrutinization. And as a paying customer I have every right to criticize. I'm so sick of having to inform people that this is a discussion forum and people are encouraged to voice their opinions. Using the standard "you weren't involved and you can't do better so you can't criticize" argument is pathetic and childish.

Don't let your predetermined affection cloud your judgment.

@preybird: the art is in many ways good, and I'm sure you put a lot of effort into, but it's just way below the standard set by CotC cards like Aeon and Jasmine. Compare it to your art for Reactorary (one of my favourite pieces for the SF expansion).
    Last edited by Ness; 11-13-2014 at 09:51 PM.
    PK Love

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    The overall standard for SF is still high, in my opinion. How many "bad" ones have been listed so far?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I really like all art in SE. I think all the art is top standard, I just dont like the style. Shadow era art is its own style , I just think some art looks semi cartoonish like hs
    A member of ETC.
    Creator of boomerang combo deck.
    Likes playing lots of card games.

I had a really awful signature in the past so i changed it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Frying Pan, Exaltation,

Desperate Tactics has the guy with a weird looking face, but it looks pretty high def still.
    Oliver Fagins hat looks weird.
    Most of those elementalist cards look iffy, like they just don't fit in---like Reverberate. Reactorary looks good thou, pretty cool actually. I can see Shawn's art style, it's different, but at times it just doesn't turn out that good for a high quality game. Wave collapse looks pretty cool. Some of them are pretty cool.
    Cutlass is bad too.

That's all I can see so far. Those are the cards I think need to be redone.

Note: Actually Reactory looks really really cool! Great work Prey!
    Last edited by Capo 9; 11-13-2014 at 10:11 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I am sure if you look you can find a lot of variety in art quality in all sets.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla