Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Question Old game clients are disfunctional

So I tried shadow era out a while back. I wasn't very keen to using the forums or browsing the website, I just played the game I had.
    And my client was ShadowEra28400.

I was unaware the client was going to matter.
    I started playing it again and the game seemed really dead.
    There are a few players still playing, about maybe 1-3 matches an hour.

Well today I tried playing it on the web client and there's all these new animations(although I find them a bit to distracting and the color effects too, but thats not what this post is about).
    I also saw in the challenge match log, tons of matches going on.
    And then I queued for a match and found one really fast as compared to my game client.

So it seems the game client determines who connects with eachother. I could not find a certain player I saw in the web client when I searched for him on my old client.

Then I went and found a new client on the play page and things are working out.

So my feedback is, you need to make the old versions for ignorant players like me let them know that the client is out of date. Give them a patch, I don't know what you can do.
    People are still playing on that old client and missing out from the whole community of players and fast matches and they probably don't even know it just like I didn't know.

Secondly, I'm more fond of games that mainly have one client and it updates itself to the final release. And then allow options to turn on/off those animations, color effects, targeting effects, etc...
    Those who will remember, will speak fondly of the warm morning breeze.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    What version are you playing on? On android and iphone you can set it to auto-update. I think the pc client may let you get away with playing an old version forever. The web-client will always be up to date though. So maybe just auto-updates for the PC client is what's needed?
    IGN: ETC BobRoss
    "BobRoss puts the 'bRo' in Boss" - Gondorian
    Proud Member of ETC - Errors Terrors & Carers
    Europe/Africa Regional Champion 2014 (also top 8 in World Championship)
    See some videos with commentary of some of my Serena Games on Shadowera.net
    I also do a video show with TJ SamuelJ - Bob and Sam Trollin it Up!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Sigh. I understand gamers are generally at the mercy of developers, but i have never felt this helpless.

@bobrossw
    your advice about auto-updates is helpful, but only for those who visit forums.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Hi. It's not so much dysfunctional (as they are actually functional), but incompatible since clients used within a game have to agree on how all the cards work. This then leads to the server splitting players based on their client version.

I agree that people on old clients should be informed that they are on old clients. There is a news update that could be used for this (not sure why it isn't for every version), but v2.86 was announced in there on 1st October. I think an automatic in-game mail to anyone who played on an old version would be good. Do you read in-game mail?

I would be in favour of having the server reject you if your version is too old, with a helpful message of telling you to update.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    Hi. It's not so much dysfunctional (as they are actually functional), but incompatible since clients used within a game have to agree on how all the cards work. This then leads to the server splitting players based on their client version.

I agree that people on old clients should be informed that they are on old clients. There is a news update that could be used for this (not sure why it isn't for every version), but v2.86 was announced in there on 1st October. I think an automatic in-game mail to anyone who played on an old version would be good. Do you read in-game mail?

I would be in favour of having the server reject you if your version is too old, with a helpful message of telling you to update.
    When you get a pm a pop-up appears so I think it would be enough ti information players
    ~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~

IGN: 17 Shining

1lluminati in 7enebris

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yup, that would work. In any case, gotta do something. Sounds like there are a few people playing that version, and I have met people from versions all over the place talking about still finding matchups.
    Proud Member of Alpha Predator
    Brotherhood. Honor. Glory.

I may set you on fire. It's not personal, I just like fire.

IGN: AP Flamebringer

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Any way I can download 1.00 version? :P
    Proud Member of TEAM JUGGERNAUTS!
    IGN: TJ KarnivX

My Deviant Art

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I assumed this was a given for any game that is updated. Guess not