Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Moonstalker-Overpower

I have seen countless undead Moonstalker decks and many others using the "Overwhelm" strategy and several others. I am not using one of these strategies, though it is relatively similar to the "Overwhelm" method. I feel like I have fine-tuned this deck pretty well (at least for my current level, suggestions on this deck would be nice too, also this is my first post so go easy on me Here is the deck:

Hero:
    Moonstalker

Allies (13):
    4x Bloodpack Shaman
    4x Dread Wolf
    4x Wulven Predator
    1x Howlfang, Terror of the Vale

Abilities (20):
    2x Captured Prey
    2x Now You're Mine
    3x Full Moon
    2x Ley Line Nexus
    4x Blood Moon
    4x Death from Above
    3x Wulven Resilience

Items (3):
    x3 Dreadclaw Totem

Armor (3):
    x3 Wrath of the Forest

TOTAL: 39 cards + Hero

Points to keep in mind:
    1) Never use your SE the first turn you get it, always wait till you have at least 5 saved up, to load the field
    2) Go for the hero as much as possible, with all of monster killing/stopping cards in this deck your primary objective should be to attack the hero
    3) Never, under any circumstance, should you sacrifice a Bloodpack Shaman. These guys are the cogs that make this deck run.
    4) Aside from the first Bloodpack Shaman you get, always keep at least one in your hand. This allows you to perform (as I like to call it) the Bloodpack Cheese. (i.e. the continous cycle of Bloodpack Shamans reviving each other giving you an infinite army, as I said earlier this is what makes the deck work).
    5) The best way to win is get as many allies on the field as you can and then pop a Full Moon. With 3 allies on the field (say 2 Bloodpack's and 1 Wulven Predator) with 3 attack + Full Moon = 15 damage. That is half the opposing Hero's life (assuming they have that much to lose). 5+ allies on the field + Full Moon = GG.

Card Run Over:

Bloodpack Shaman: An absolute must, the only reason this deck works, you can continuously cycle these guys over and over again. If you are on your last "hurrah" (that is, the enemies Hero is about to die) play all of them you have in your hand and recycle as many allies (not just bloodpacks) as you can. Go into stealth and next turn pop a Full Moon, then its Game Over.

Dread Wolf: Why so many of these guys? Well for one they can completely dismantle Crystal Rush decks, but aside from that they work well with Full Moon as you can play them and Full Moon on the same turn (so for example, if you played all you bloodpack shamans last turn and went into stealth, then on your last "rescue" pulled one of these guys from the graveyard then play a Full Moon and Dread Wolf you just killed the opponent). They also work well with Howlfang (more on him later).

Wulven Predator: Simply a nice 3/4 ally that can attack stealth or bypass protector, its ability that couples with Full Moon and Wulven Resilience nicely.

Howlfang: Most of you are probably wondering, why the heck does this guy only have 1 Howlfang card in his deck (and why Howlfang!)? Well to be honest he probably doesn't need to be in there. However if you get him later in the game he can combo nicely with your stealth and Dread Wolf and with his ability of +1 attack to wulven allies can make a nice substitute for Full Moon.

Captured Prey: This card is self explanitory, if there is a tank on the field you would rather not waste your attacks on stick this card on him and focus on killing the Hero, simple as that.

Now Your're Mine/Death from Above: In my experience it has been extremely valuable to be able to kill beefy Cost 3 and 4 creatures while focusing attacking on the Hero (this is why this deck works well, because your creatures are not distracted by killing off other minions). But why so freaking many of them?! Well that just seems to be the number that works well for me, when I need one I have one, simple as that. (Also helps considerably when dealing with ravenger decks).

Full Moon: This card has already been discussed in such great detail that I don't believe much more can be said here. Basically load your filed with allies using stealth and 3cc 4cc kill cards then play this and attack the Hero.

Ley Line: Mostly for handling Kings Pride and Snow Sapphire (I think thats what its called). Can also be helpful with Thoughtripper and her favorite cutlass. Won't take out a deck full of weapons and armor, but then again, you shouldn't have too.

Bloodmoon: Your main draw medium, doesnt always work great with Moonstalkers ability but if you time it right and couple it with Wrath of the Forest you should have ample cards.

Wulven Resilience: A great card, can surprise your enemies by removing their attachments and giving your ally a boost at the same time. Can also be used straight up for ambush and +3 attack. Attach this card to Wulven Predator and you have a real weapon on your hands. Even better this + Full Moon kicks butt.

Dreadclaw Totem: At first I wasnt sure how good of a card this would be, its ablity looked weak to me when it first came out compared to the other meta's. However I couldnt have been more wrong, for this deck this card works wonders. Because it only comes into play after one of your allies has been killed it is usually hard for the enemy to deal with another ally that just pops up. Plus with its 4 attack and ambush it combos great with the rest of the cards in the deck.

Wrath of the Forest: A no brainer, the other half of your draw cards, works great with this load the field and recycle ally strategy.

And thats it! Let me know what you guys think and feel free to give suggestions. I have also thought about adding some griptooth with protecter but his cost seems a little high for this deck and I havent really needed it yet from what I have played against (stealth protects Hero from Mind Control Btw and with a loaded field it almost really doesnt matter). Currently Ranked 260 feel free to watch some of my matches, ign: "zyphon7"

Thanks!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Great write-up, thanks for posting

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Im concerned about your ally numbers, only 13 for the entire deck. It means cards like Resilience, WotF, Full Moon and Totem are less effective.
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Preybird View Post
    Im concerned about your ally numbers, only 13 for the entire deck. It means cards like Resilience, WotF, Full Moon and Totem are less effective.
    I was actually quite shocked myself about how little allies I had when I wrote it up. The interesting part is I haven't really noticed this to hurt me to much, if I don't have allies I have a draw medium or am able to stall till I get them to which my strategy comes into play. If I were to add some allies what would you think is best? I thought about adding some stronger guys but this decks selling point is that it hits hard and fast, so guys like tiger wolf (who take up an entire turn when I could have played 2-3 other allies) did not fit. People seem to like bad wolf but usually when you attack somebody you go for the kill, so his ability doesn't usually come into play and wulven scout is more of a novelty than anything else. I'm thinking maybe pack wolf would be a good card to add but then I have to decide what to take out. Let me know what you think.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Nice writeup and welcome to the boards zyphon7
    The Paladin of Punxsutawney
    Warrior of The Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

IGN: BP Shadows R Us

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphon7 View Post
    I was actually quite shocked myself about how little allies I had when I wrote it up. The interesting part is I haven't really noticed this to hurt me to much, if I don't have allies I have a draw medium or am able to stall till I get them to which my strategy comes into play. If I were to add some allies what would you think is best? I thought about adding some stronger guys but this decks selling point is that it hits hard and fast, so guys like tiger wolf (who take up an entire turn when I could have played 2-3 other allies) did not fit. People seem to like bad wolf but usually when you attack somebody you go for the kill, so his ability doesn't usually come into play and wulven scout is more of a novelty than anything else. I'm thinking maybe pack wolf would be a good card to add but then I have to decide what to take out. Let me know what you think.
    Wulven Scout is actually really good and his ability has won me many games. Taking the guesswork out of your plays is very useful. Even though i have a good idea what my opponent is holding getting confirmation one way or another is always good.

In my Moon I run Shaman, Predator, Dread, Scout, Soothjaw, Griptooth, Tiger. Lots of allies for lots of situations.
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm curious how this does vs mages and Zaladar. I think that's really the angle that moonstalker players are looking to figure out with Tribal Moonstalker decks. Shaman will make anything strong vs decks that rely on combat dmg, it's those burn decks you need to be able to beat. I'm thinking full moon can help you there, just wondering how well it does for you? What are your strong / weak matchups?
    IGN: ETC BobRoss
    "BobRoss puts the 'bRo' in Boss" - Gondorian
    Proud Member of ETC - Errors Terrors & Carers
    Europe/Africa Regional Champion 2014 (also top 8 in World Championship)
    See some videos with commentary of some of my Serena Games on Shadowera.net
    I also do a video show with TJ SamuelJ - Bob and Sam Trollin it Up!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by bobrossw View Post
    I'm curious how this does vs mages and Zaladar. I think that's really the angle that moonstalker players are looking to figure out with Tribal Moonstalker decks. Shaman will make anything strong vs decks that rely on combat dmg, it's those burn decks you need to be able to beat. I'm thinking full moon can help you there, just wondering how well it does for you? What are your strong / weak matchups?

Good question sorry it took so long yo reply. I would say the tough matchups are priests (because this is Ally based), warriors (because thier attachments can stop the bloodpack loop) and a properly setup hunter can give this deck trouble, especially banebow. The mages can be tougj but are certainly beatable especially if you effectively use the second ability of full moon. The assassins are surprisingly easy to beat I've found, unless thought ripper steals your ley lines (which has happened, she stole both of mine in a row, extremely lucky on their part). Fellow wulven are easy to beat as long as you remember when facing moonstalker that he who uses his SE first usually doesn't end well. Lastly usually the elementals are pretty beatable with this deck. Zaldar is the toughest but usually you can swarm him at the beginning to the point he can't keep up. Stealth can negate a mind control meaning that it just kills one ally, 5cc is pretty expensive to kill one 2-3 summon ally if you ask me. Elwmatis is pretty easy thx to stealth and all of the 2-3 install kill cards in this deck. Praxix can be tough if you don't get a good start but usually I've found he's to busy attack my deck instead of my army I amassed on the field and so he can usually be taken down. Hope this helps

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by bobrossw View Post

Good question sorry it took so long yo reply. I would say the tough matchups are priests (because this is Ally based), warriors (because thier attachments can stop the bloodpack loop) and a properly setup hunter can give this deck trouble, especially banebow. The mages can be tough but are certainly beatable especially if you effectively use the second ability of full moon. The assassins are surprisingly easy to beat I've found, unless thought ripper steals your ley lines (which has happened, she stole both of mine in a row, extremely lucky on their part). Fellow wulven are easy to beat as long as you remember when facing moonstalker that he who uses his SE first usually doesn't end well. Lastly usually the elementals are pretty beatable with this deck. Zaldar is the toughest but usually you can swarm him at the beginning to the point he can't keep up. Stealth can negate a mind control meaning that it just kills one ally, 5cc is pretty expensive to kill one 2-3 summon ally if you ask me. Elwmatis is pretty easy thx to stealth and all of the 2-3 install kill cards in this deck. Praxix can be tough if you don't get a good start but usually I've found he's to busy attacking my deck instead of my army I amassed on the field and so he can usually be taken down. Hope this helps

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphon7 View Post
    The assassins are surprisingly easy to beat I've found, unless thought ripper steals your ley lines (which has happened, she stole both of mine in a row, extremely lucky on their part).
    Yup, I play mainly rogue, and I have trouble vs moonstalker with shaman loop, just wondering how it balanced out (because it's not a dominant deck, so clearly some decks give it problems). Lately, I've gotten better at beating it with Serena because I try to shut down draw and present enough threats/discard enough / play spirit warden so that loop can't stop me like it used to. Still I'm packing a few specific counters to this deck now - which shows how strong it can be in a few matchups at least.
    IGN: ETC BobRoss
    "BobRoss puts the 'bRo' in Boss" - Gondorian
    Proud Member of ETC - Errors Terrors & Carers
    Europe/Africa Regional Champion 2014 (also top 8 in World Championship)
    See some videos with commentary of some of my Serena Games on Shadowera.net
    I also do a video show with TJ SamuelJ - Bob and Sam Trollin it Up!