Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Dying or Growing?

I'm just curious as to whether or not you guys think the game is dying or growing, specifically the physical game. I for one hope that it's growing, because so many TCGs i've been involved with have died over the years, Digimon, Gundam, Zatch Bell, etc... If the game is worth the investment (Which I think it is since the physical product translates into digital by way of the code cards) I won't mind continuing to purchase the product, I've gotta say though, I am definitely on the fence considering some forum posts I've read, and that includes other sites as well. I've been playing since 2011 and really hope that the physical game can take off and be successful in the way others have, Specifically as of the past few years, Cardfight Vanguard is a great example.

What do you all think?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The game and the company is so small that I think it's both dying and growing at the same time.
    Buried Treasure of Nanana
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix/ Greatness, Reborn
    My tournament achievements

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    That's an interesting way to put it. I see looking at the store now, that there are about 926-1000 units of each deck in stock. While there are about 903 deck cases in stock and 680 booster boxes in stock for CotC. Dark Prophecies doesn't list a number of items in stock, which I'm assuming they have more than they care to count. I think it'd be a good idea to send a few cases of decks/booster boxes to card shops as a free to play promotional gig. (Or at a low cost to play promo) to actually kick the game up some more. It could be as simple as 1 deck + 4 packs or just a deck and the pack that comes with it, with a prize as simple as 1 box of cards. I know there's a shop down in Alabama that does these kind of events for several board games/table top games. Sadly I'm no longer in the area so I wouldn't be able to be a part of the fun there if this happened, but with so much in stock floating around, How long would it take them to sell it all? And would waiting to sell the stock be more profitable than a promotional event(s) like this?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It's not dying and growing,
    Its dead and growing. Like a zombie.
    A member of ETC.
    Creator of boomerang combo deck.
    Likes playing lots of card games.

I had a really awful signature in the past so i changed it.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    The physical game is definitely growing. Some stores have weekly events for the game now and Dark Prophecies is available to buy without requiring a pre-order from more than a year ago.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Physical game isn't going anywhere imho. The company is just too small to compete.
    Digital game is where SE shines and even with its flaws I think it can compete with everyone quality-wise and can keep a faithful fanbase.
    I done know the numbers so I can't say it is growing or dying, but I hope it doesn't die!
    ~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~

IGN: 17 Shining

1lluminati in 7enebris

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    The physical game is definitely growing. Some stores have weekly events for the game now and Dark Prophecies is available to buy without requiring a pre-order from more than a year ago.
    All good news!
    A member of ETC.
    Creator of boomerang combo deck.
    Likes playing lots of card games.

I had a really awful signature in the past so i changed it.

Queen of Balor
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Huge growth in the last year. In fact, we put an article up last week or so on the main page that highlights the physical game: http://www.shadowera.com/content.php...Physical-Cards GenCon saw the product sold out and we're already signed up for the next GenCon. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7405922&type=3

The forums have been a core to Shadow Era's community and continues to be. However in the last year we've seen many communities grow outside of the forums, especially when it's a non-English community. The Brazil Shadow Era and Czech Facebook pages are examples and the non-English YouTube videos (http://youtu.be/jDbue2iT_xk?list=UUN...7tVo4cEPNJuLGw). As well in the last year, Shadow Era has really established it's presence on Facebook and Twitter and opened up Instagram and Pinterest accounts.

It may be that the forums only give the slice of a much larger picture, however I've been trying to keep the forum updated by posting the events in calendar (http://www.shadowera.com/calendar.php) and the physical events section of the forum (which didn't exist a year ago!http://www.shadowera.com/forumdispla...Organized-Play ) section to keep you updated.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It seems the most exposure at the moment is GenCon, even in the Organized Play thread, which is great! I do keep up with this, and what put me off from ordering anything sooner is the stability of so many TCGs that I have been involved with on a tournament scale. It's always sad to see a card game die due to discontinuing, or lack of support. Though if Shadow Era is doing as well as you say, then I'm really not too worried about it in it's physical sense. I don't think the online game has much to worry about.

Queen of Balor
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Boketsu View Post
    It seems the most exposure at the moment is GenCon, even in the Organized Play thread, which is great! I do keep up with this, and what put me off from ordering anything sooner is the stability of so many TCGs that I have been involved with on a tournament scale. It's always sad to see a card game die due to discontinuing, or lack of support. Though if Shadow Era is doing as well as you say, then I'm really not too worried about it in it's physical sense. I don't think the online game has much to worry about.
    I agree, GenCon was great! It lets us connect with a very targeted audience; gamers, game stores, and media/bloggers/YouTubers. And it was especially nice to connect to many of our casual players who aren't on the forums or joining tournaments but love the game. People were very proud to come talk to us about how long they have been playing, or showing us their deck on their phone.

Here's Alan who Beta tested the first set and brought his group of friends to our booth to tell them more about it:

I agrre; with WoW and Kaijudo dead, it does make players and stores a bit hesitant. But on the flip side, many of those looking to pick up a new game have found Shadow Era. And on the digital side, games like Hearthstone has brought a lot of new players to try out this genre that might have not otherwise.