Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Threbin the Weak?

Greetings,

I have started to make a Threbin deck recently. I can't say I know him in and out yet but one thing I noticed is his ability appears to be pretty useless compared to what other Heroes can do. I know +2 damage sounds fine, bring it together with Ghostmaker and Justicar it all adds up... And all these sounds good on paper but in practice there are too many things that interfere with his ability.

For example Zhanna heals 3 damage, there isn't anything that can stop her healing herself. Serena gives +2 to her weapon (can be compared to Threbin) but she also makes you discard a card. Threbin? His ability only kicks in if he is attacked and when it does, it is easily reduced or prevented by many ally abilities, or your opponent casts a firestorm on you and gets no damage in return (although if Zhanna casts tidal wave or smite and kills the Deathbone , his ability kicks in and she receives damage).

Am I missing something here? Is there a way to make his ability as useful as other heroes?

What do you think? Am I approaching Threbin from the wrong direction?
    Last edited by PriestAmar; 10-27-2014 at 10:20 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yes, you are.

Threbin can be used to great effect by using boomerang, as his ability does not actually deal damage with the weapon. If you set up the board with allies having 2 or less health, he can kill several before smashing into a last for 4 damage. He can also 're-use his ability with boomerang by using glass chalice.

TLDR: he is too OP at the moment
    A member of ETC.
    Creator of boomerang combo deck.
    Likes playing lots of card games.

I had a really awful signature in the past so i changed it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I personally find the Ghostmaker Twilight Threbin quite a decent deck.

Definitely the most fun you can have with a priest in this game IMO.
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Best way to maximize use of his ability are weapons. And best weapon for Threbin is Madeline's Scepter. Proper use of this weapon allows you really good control over the board. If you are running Templar themed Threbin than Rod of Smiting is also a great game ender, because with Threbins ability and Justicar on board you can deal 7 damage in one swing.

Here's example deck: http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....matic-Chipmunk

In short Threbin is designed to be battle priest. Use weapons, don't wait for them to come to you, you attack them. Play aggressively, not defensively!
    Last edited by Veles; 10-27-2014 at 09:43 AM.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Veles View Post
    Best way to maximize use of his ability are weapons. And best weapon for Threbin is Madeline's Scepter. Proper use of this weapon allows you really good control over the board. If you are running Templar themed Threbin than Rod of Smiting is also a great game ender, because with Threbins ability and Justicar on board you can deal 7 damage in one swing.

Here's example deck: http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....matic-Chipmunk

In short Threbin is designed to be battle priest. Use weapons, don't wait for them to come to you, you attack them. Play aggressively, not defensively!
    I see that, but on the defensive side , is it because it says "...that Enters Combat with Therbin" , it deals no damage when spell cards are used against him? It doesnt count it as combat, and the opponent as aggressor I guess.

You are saying his ability can (but not meant to) be defensive. It's best utilised offensively. Ok, so I am not approaching it the right way.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Therbin is really strong i think he is one of the best champions right know, his ability allows him to be defensive and offensive at the same time, veles and preybird explain really well about him, he is really good with ghostmaker and in a templar deck with justicar alysia and rod of smite he can do really big damage in one swing with his ability, in my opinion he is a really strong hero, he is really not that complicated to get used too if you see him somewhat like amber and make a weapon/allie deck with templars rod of smith and ghostmaker.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by PriestAmar View Post
    I see that, but on the defensive side , is it because it says "...that Enters Combat with Therbin" , it deals no damage when spell cards are used against him? It doesnt count it as combat, and the opponent as aggressor I guess.

You are saying his ability can (but not meant to) be defensive. It's best utilised offensively. Ok, so I am not approaching it the right way.
    Example:
    -Therbin Ability (3SE)
    -Attack with Madelain's Scepter
    - Madelain's Scepter Ability

1 Attack = 6 Arcane Damage only in you Hero attack + 2 extra damage to every insolence that attack him next opponent turn.
    If Justicar Alysia in play, Therbin Attack = 8 Damage + 3 extra.. blahblah

AND, Priest pool is the most versatile in cards...
    So.. he isnt offensive or deffensive, he change from control to agro in 1 turn easy with the priest pool :v is a really good and fun Hero
    ▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ ⓐⓡⓒⓐⓝⓔⓢ █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁
    ---------------------------------IGN:Mirrodim------------------------------

Here!! Arcania Expansion !! come and share you ideas!! suggest balanced fixes!! comment you favorite idea!! lets do a virtual edition with 200 cards of user's creations.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanes View Post
    AND, Priest pool is the most versatile in cards...
    So.. he isnt offensive or deffensive, he change from control to agro in 1 turn easy with the priest pool :v is a really good and fun Hero
    When I made my deck I included weapons but only +5cc ones, so his capability to attack using his ability was remaining dormant till late game thus only defensive. Now I can see that he also needs cheaper weapons for utilising his ability best in early game.

Thanks

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You can take any Zhanna deck and play it almost as well with Threbin. On top of that there are specific things that he does well. The priest card-pool makes it unnecessary to even use an SE ability because it is that good. On top of that there are certain combos and decks that really distinguish Threbin from other priests and allow him to do some fun and aggressive plays. I really think he's in a perfect place balance-wise right now (as are all the priests).
    IGN: ETC BobRoss
    "BobRoss puts the 'bRo' in Boss" - Gondorian
    Proud Member of ETC - Errors Terrors & Carers
    Europe/Africa Regional Champion 2014 (also top 8 in World Championship)
    See some videos with commentary of some of my Serena Games on Shadowera.net
    I also do a video show with TJ SamuelJ - Bob and Sam Trollin it Up!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by PriestAmar View Post
    When I made my deck I included weapons but only +5cc ones, so his capability to attack using his ability was remaining dormant till late game thus only defensive. Now I can see that he also needs cheaper weapons for utilising his ability best in early game.

Thanks
    Well... The only weapons worth using with Threbin that aren't 5cc+ is Wizent's Staff and Boooomerang. Wizent's is a bit counterintuitive and Boomerang only hits once (assuming the weaopon dealt damage). You have the right idea with 5cc weapons. If you really want to spend his SE early then you should consider Glass Chalice of Knowing.
    Last edited by Ganjamus; 10-27-2014 at 10:43 PM.
    Raised in Exile. Trained in Kiptergarten. Mastering the ways of SE one step at a time.

Long live the Queen...