Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

About damage type.

I feel that damage type is quite insignificant in this game. Sure we have fire/ice/lightning/claw/sword/ranged/arcane but none of them does anything unique. What's the point of using fire attack or arcane attack ? To get card draw from Scriptures of the Righteous/Flameforged Gauntlet or the +1 damage from Justicar Alysia/Infernus, Tyrant of the Damned . Alone, there's no significant difference between the 2 damage type at all ( except against allies with immunities ) , fire damage itself doesn't set anything on fire and arcane damage doesn't do anything "arcane" .

I'm pretty sure that there's no way DT will rework damage type, as it will change the game dramatically. However i would like to know you guys think how unique each damage type could have been, something like this :

- Weapons and armors lose 1 extra durabity when the wearer take ice damage
    - Fire always set things on fire
    - Lightning damage "stun" the victim, make it unable to activate ability for a turn
    - Allies with ranged damage doesn't take relitation damage from anything except ranged allies/hero with ranged weapon

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by G.P View Post
    I feel that damage type is quite insignificant in this game. Sure we have fire/ice/lightning/claw/sword/ranged/arcane but none of them does anything unique. What's the point of using fire attack or arcane attack ? To get card draw from Scriptures of the Righteous/Flameforged Gauntlet or the +1 damage from Justicar Alysia/Infernus, Tyrant of the Damned . Alone, there's no significant difference between the 2 damage type at all ( except against allies with immunities ) , fire damage itself doesn't set anything on fire and arcane damage doesn't do anything "arcane" .

I'm pretty sure that there's no way DT will rework damage type, as it will change the game dramatically.
    Hi, I don't mean to derail, but if you're interested in some DT insights ...

COTC = first set, with 3 class allies and 2 tribes and basic damage types for attacks

DP = sprinkle tribes and damage types for attack and abilities, add class allies for all

SF = establish new heroes, establish subtype tribes, add more damage type synergy

Set 4 = establish damage type "tribes", establish class ally "tribes", balance subtype tribes, and lots more !

We have no intention of ever rotating out sets and we pride ourselves on the great balance and ever-growing deck building options. I hope you can see how the above is aimed at that.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    IMO those added rules would be too confusing and OP for some damage types. I believe (as GDC mentions) that they are setting up for future sets where allies have flavored text that include advantages and disadvantages to attack types, thus creating more themed decks in the long run without a wide variety and balance. ( Hopefully balanced :P )

I foresee allies that boost each damage type but have a drawback to other damage types or balancing with higher CC or lower stats. Maybe effects will be added, ie: "Allies that are damaged by fire type damage are set Ablaze" or "Allies that are damaged by Ice type damage are Frozen until the end of the turn that they were damaged"

Both of those effects would be awesome to see in gameplay. The ice damage ability would allow players to attack without retaliation to try and kill that ally, but if not killed they are unfrozen by the end of that turn.
    Proud Member of TEAM JUGGERNAUTS!
    IGN: TJ KarnivX

My Deviant Art

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    On a tangent: other damage types all have some synergy (Arcane - Alyssa SOR etc, Fire - Infernus Defiler etc, Electric - Voltar's) but there is nothing for Ice atm. There are 6 or 7 allies that deal Ice Damage in atleast 1 way but there is nothing that modifies this, can we get an ally or artifact that does (eg Allies that take Ice Damage are frozen for 1 turn)?
    BP Inactive member | IGN: SafOne

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saf View Post
    On a tangent: other damage types all have some synergy (Arcane - Alyssa SOR etc, Fire - Infernus Defiler etc, Electric - Voltar's) but there is nothing for Ice atm. There are 6 or 7 allies that deal Ice Damage in atleast 1 way but there is nothing that modifies this, can we get an ally or artifact that does (eg Allies that take Ice Damage are frozen for 1 turn)?
    It's true, there is nothing that pulls ice together, unless you are using it as anti-Furrion-Terror. To be honest, none of the damage type builds were meant to be viable yet (save for arcane/Templar) - we were just sprinkling more and more in - so any decks that you can make work now are a bonus, largely thanks to the long beta period.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    ^ Is that the plan with Set 4?
    BP Inactive member | IGN: SafOne

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I am really hoping that the new set of cards will reintroduce the "magic" type attack. You know the one Belladonna had before the change. I will definitely be ecstatic to see what combinations they may use with it. Opens up more theme type decks for sure.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I disagree with OP.
    Buried Treasure of Nanana
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix/ Greatness, Reborn
    My tournament achievements

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Index View Post
    I disagree with OP.
    I didn't even make a suggestion I just pointed out how there's little difference between each damage type alone and ask people how it could have been if DT had given very damage type an unique effect

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Saf View Post
    There is already a urigon that freezes on hit, plus the fang of urigon artifact, and some mage attachment that causes weapons to freeze on hit.

For fire there's I think 2 allies that set ablaze on hit. One for poison and the archer that does both.