Close

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivozzz View Post
    yes but played by 5 heroes.. A team playing 5, is like a player playing 4 or 5

So it is not built upon one single hero..It assess skill on 5 different heros
    It's actually more like 5 different people playing obe hero in a Bo3. I don't point this out to be argumentative, but to make this point: I think of this issue to be akin to the issue in Magic the Gathering with different formats. Is the world champ of Commander a worse player than the world champ of Modern? There are people in this community that are incredibly well rounded and can play 4 or 5 heroes proficiently, then there are those who are leagues above the rest with one hero, winning incredibly high percentages of games even Vs really bad matchups. So which would you like a contest for?
    Enlisted to Endure's "Bullet Stopper"

Human Hero

(1SE): Lose target tournament.

"This is so much fu.... Crap... I lost."

E-Mail______Twitter______YouTube

1.27 Tournament Champion Raphael Majere's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I merely have 1 suggestion.

An official wulven major tournament can be named anything, "Emperor of Balor Major tournament 2014", "The One 2014" or watever, whatever.

But if one wants to name it a 'world championships', it has to be at least of the same scale, participation and grandiose as the previous editions.

(In my view, the only edition worth mentioning is the WC of 2012. The format was solid, rules were made and executed as equal and fair as humanly possible, and participation was vast)

When kids play soccer at the neighborhood park, they don't call their games 'the World Cup'. Not the first time, i am saying this, but there is no need for a 2014 edition of the WC if the game is not ready or/and the conditions are not optimal.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Raphael Majere; 10-07-2014 at 05:59 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Airact View Post
    Have like 8 swiss events where top2 qualifies (or 4 where top4 qualifies) for a 16man double-elimination tournament.
    Agreed.

Regional swiss format untill you reach 16 participants.
    Evolving Through Change

"I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met Jasmine. We ate lobster, drank Piņa Coladas. At sunset we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over and over and over?"

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Here is an idea. Not sure if people will think it's a good one but I'm throwing it out there :-)

What about each "established" guild is awarded one spot to the WC, and can choose however it sees fit which one of its players will represent it? Maybe through "primaries", internal tournaments, ... (I would consider "established" a guild that has won at least 5 wulven-sponsored tournaments/pop-ups over the year. It seems enough to ensure that there won't be too many of them, and can be adjusted to reach the desired number).
    The remaining spots would be awarded through qualifiers the month before the WC.

I like the idea that each guild will have at least one competitor in the WC (probably their "champion") and that the WC is still open to other competitors through the qualifiers.
    Last edited by jacelkos; 10-07-2014 at 01:53 PM.
    Member of Supreme Legion

We are legion, For we are many
    IGN: SL Jacelkos

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jacelkos View Post
    Here is an idea. Not sure if people will think it's a good one but I'm throwing it out there :-)

What about each "established" guild is awarded one spot to the WC, and can choose however it sees fit which one of its players will represent it? Maybe through "primaries", internal tournaments, ... (I would consider "established" a guild that has won at least 5 wulven-sponsored tournaments/pop-ups over the year. It seems enough to ensure that there won't be too many of them, and can be adjusted to reach the desired number).
    The remaining spots would be awarded through qualifiers the month before the WC.

I like the idea that each guild will have at least one competitor in the WC (probably their "champion") and that the WC is still open to other competitors through the qualifiers.
    Did pjoe0211 send you here?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    Did pjoe0211 send you here?
    Yeah I was thinking about him after I wrote that :-)
    But I figure that if he and holly can win more than X tournaments by themselves they probably earned a spot in the WC (ok maybe X needs to be more than 5 ;-)). Or we can require that a guild needs 10+ people to be considered for this.
    Member of Supreme Legion

We are legion, For we are many
    IGN: SL Jacelkos

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Seriously, then pjoe0212, pjoe0213 and so on can join the guild..... it's just a bad idea to hand out spots based on social things.
    Mip - Keeper of the Eternal Flame -
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

IGN: BP Mip1

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It won't help much this year, but in the future, why don't we have a series of largeish qualifiers that grant you an invitation to Worlds for winning, then have a worlds with broader hero usage? They do this in Yugioh and people love it.

Also, we have to remember the real reason these events happen. It's not so the community as a whole can finally decide on who is the best at the game. It's supposed to be a venue for all our competitive tendencies, meeting new people, and testing our own skills.

Also I want the Feats of Strength to be part of it this year. I could easily bench Kyle 3 sets of 10 reps.
    Enlisted to Endure's "Bullet Stopper"

Human Hero

(1SE): Lose target tournament.

"This is so much fu.... Crap... I lost."

E-Mail______Twitter______YouTube

Europe Regional (Winter 2012) Champion jacqui's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    2012 WC Swiss Qualifier has always been my favorite tournament format. It's the only time its ever been used, that I can recall.

1.27 Tournament Champion Raphael Majere's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jacqui View Post
    2012 WC Swiss Qualifier has always been my favorite tournament format. It's the only time its ever been used, that I can recall.
    + 1 to Jac.

Swiss rounds, especially if there are a significant number of rounds, i.e. >5, are very effective in finding who are the worthy top players.

(To learn more about Swiss tourney system: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss-system_tournament)

To have a feel of the massiveness of the WC 2012 Swiss, WC Stage 1:

Last edited by Raphael Majere; 10-08-2014 at 01:05 PM.