Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

The A1 Experience - A New Member's Persoective

We as players join guilds for a variety of reasons. We want comrads in arms, to be part of a team, to learn more advanced techniques of play, to exchange ideas and theories of the game, and to be part of something greater than ourselves. While there are many quality guilds in SE, for every one of the listed purposes, A1 fits the bill precisely.

When I was looking into the available guilds, I was attracted to A1 primarily because of their tennant of challenging the meta. I had some controversial ideas, and thought that made for a good fit for me. After I applied, and was accepted for probation, I discovered there was so much more to this great guild. To start with, A1 simply has the best players in the game. No disrespect is intended to BP, AP, or any of the other guilds who each have their share of excellent players, but the best of the best play for A1. Despite this fact (or maybe because of it) the overall attitude of the guild is very open minded toward new ideas. Even before I completed my probationary period, several of A1's elite players spent hours helping me test what they had to know was several hair brained concept decks that had no chance to work in a competitive environment. All the while, politely offering me deck lists of competition grade proven decks they thought would fit my play style.

This open minded but knowledgable approach has helped me greatly improve my game in a short period, and my enjoyment of the game as well. When I log on to play each day, it is a foregone conclusion that one or two guild mates will pop into a game to observe, offer suggestions, or suggest sons test games. It is one of the most inclusive, truly positive online gaming groups I have ever encountered.

If you are looking for a guild, have something to offer the group, and truly want to be a better player, A1 should be tops on your list. The standards are high, you may not be accepted, but you owe it to yourself to put in the application.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Very nice dude. I agree with everything you just said except for the politeness part, lol.

When I joined A1 I had to unlearn some things and there was one player who gave me some tough love, I owe my improved play to the whole guild but Jacqui opened my eyes to a whole new way of thinking. Sisyphos as well. So many great players in this guild its hard to acknowledge them all but the sage advice and help if you are willing to put your pride aside and listen, you cant help but get better. I just wish I still had the passion for SE like I used to.

Anyways, glad to have u aboard! Dont give up on those hairbrained ideas yet man! Concentrate, focus powuh!
    IGN A1 WrathOfCroft

The Unique Never Assimilate

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    +1

That's pretty dam nice of you, but you seem to have figured out A1's heart very early.
    We are about winning, and to do that we need new players to join and take part in the knowledge this guild has built.
    Our family is one hell of a mixed bag, but one thing in common is we help each other in many ways but SE is at the heart of it. It brought us all together.

Thanks for joining, dam happy to have ya!
    A1 kip thorp
    the daddy daughter team of death
    Proud Graduate of Kiptergarten
    A1-Alliance ~ Evolution in Theory

A1 Alliance LEADER & Crash Test Dummy
    Check out our recruitment thread

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by jlbjork View Post
    To start with, A1 simply has the best players in the game.
    But A1 doesnt have me! How could they have good players?
    A member of ETC.
    Creator of boomerang combo deck.
    Likes playing lots of card games.

I had a really awful signature in the past so i changed it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by oggtheman View Post
    But A1 doesnt have me! How could they have good players?
    Good point. We must try and recruit you now.

Check your inbox.
    Leader of Rising Sun
    Learn, Improve, Succeed

Relevant RS Links:
    About Us|Trophy Room
    Card Gallery|How to Apply

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Nice write up. I'm glad that you found a great guild and it seems like it's a really good fit. And I completely agree that there are several very very skilled players in A1. Nice initiative on your part to write this up.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    good write up buddy!

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Great to hear that it's working out for you.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Logan still sucks though.

Sorry for the spam, but I didn't know what to add to comment your opening post

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    actually Kip, we aren't so much about winning as about dictating the meta. when i first joined A1, this was the first thing i learned. A1 wasn't interested in topping the ladder or pushing folks to have a high ranking (but those who want to do so aren't prohibited either). we are more interested in squeezing out the last bit of tactic that can be squeezed out of SE. players with crazy ideas and deck builds are highly sought after. we want to be the first guild to discover a new deck that dominates the meta. if the existing meta is full of mages, we want to be the guild that shifts it away from mages. if we were the ones who introduced a new deck that dominates QM, we also want to be the ones to push out that deck with a new one. quite simply, our motto is: A1 - Evolution in Theory. that means pushing the game to continuously evolve. and that all starts with theory crafting.

of course, winning is a welcome achievement. but if we achieve that at the cost of giving up on our ideals (esp our rules against cheating and our insistence in integrity above all else), then we might as well be just any regular guild formed to be competitive. we don't emphasize competitiveness, but we are competitive nonetheless because of our insistence to always stay one step ahead of the meta. i'm not saying we have the best players (because for sure, other guilds have great players too). but i am saying we have many great players, and many players that weren't good before but became good after they joined us.

i'm sure other guilds are great too. every guild has something different to offer to players. it's up to players to choose which guild suits them. for me, I chose A1 because because I'm a Johnny/Spike, (a psychographic profile as developed by MTG, grouping various types of players into a profile) and I was attracted by the guild's call to keep driving the game to evolve.
    Want to Join A1?

A1: Evolution in Theory. To stop evolving is to die.

It is one of my greatest hopes that in the future, mankind achieves enlightenment so high we would not need rules, laws, or government to keep the peace and govern ourselves. By our own motivation and volition, we would do what is right and just because it is right and just. This is the central tenet of anarchy. Not chaos and lawlessness, but free will and self-actualization.

Visit my blog: Potpourri