Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Planning a Boris deck (beginner)

I've worked on this deck quite a bit after receiving plenty of advice, especially thanks to tman507, JUSTICAR, Flamebringer, and everyone else. Here's where I'm at now.

Boris Skullcrusher
    Total: 47 cards + Boris (deck)

Allies: 25
    3x Champion of Irum
    3x Jasmine Rosecult
    3x Aldon the Brave
    3x Priest of the Light
    3x Fleet-footed Messenger
    4x Yari Spearman
    2x Armored Sandworm
    3x Braxnorian Soldier
    1x Gunther, General of Balor

Abilities/Items: 18
    4x Crippling Blow
    4x Blood Frenzy
    4x Retreat!
    3x Smashing Blow
    4x Blood Frenzy
    1x Enrage
    2x The Last Harvest

Weapons/Armors: 4
    2x The King's Pride
    2x Dragon's Tooth

Subtracted: - 3x Puwen Bloodhelm, -1x Armored Sandworm, -1x The Last Harvest. -1x Enrage.
    Added: +3x Fleet-footed Messenger, +3x Champion of Irum, +4x Yari Spearman, +2x Retreat!, +2x Crippling Blow, +2x Smashing Blow, +2x Dragon's Tooth and +1x Gunther, General of Balor (a reward card, why not!).

BF and FFM help Draw; JR, PotL; SB, CB, and R! help control the board; CoI gives me an early Ally that can be a threat mid/late game with buffs; Spearman gives me protection to build behind if/when I lose board control; AtB, LH and KP provide multiple buffs; LH gives me options if I don't have an ally to cast; and DT and Boris's ability allow me to deal with any ally in the game. By turn 3 I can cast 19 of my allies and use nearly all of my Abilities or Items, with 6 big Allies and 4 Weapons/Armors for mid/late game.

This isn't a slim deck and while I wanted to keep it under 40 originally, in QM (where I play mostly) I'm facing decks around 50-60 cards regularly, if not more (stupid towers!), and realistically I'm not going into any tournaments. My draw could be better, I don't have Allies that are too scary on their own, and there aren't any crazy combos that provide an instant win, but for the most part, I have fun playing with it, and it gives me at least a chance to win most of the time. Obviously I think this is an improvement from the last version.

A few tweaks I've thought about: Adding Bad Santa or Tainted Oracle for draw; Adding Killing Spree (to use with DT); Swapping an Aeon Stormcaller for 1x Yari Spearman; Swapping Viska, The Scarlet Blade for Armored Sandworm.

Any thoughts on those changes, or any other recommendations for improving draw or improving the deck overall? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Sulaco; 10-20-2014 at 04:21 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Heya! You need 40 cards to play against real players! If you are AI grinding_ I recommended,
    1x zaldadar
    4x fire snake
    4x hellsteed
    4x spark
    4x flare
    4x bloodlust
    4x shard of power
    4x rotling
    1x sliver of shadow
    A member of ETC.
    Creator of boomerang combo deck.
    Likes playing lots of card games.

I had a really awful signature in the past so i changed it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Jewelers dream is great! You have spotted many good cards and added them, so well done! I would add 2x tainted oracle and 3x jewelers dream so you can play qm. A decent, solid deck IMO! Well done and welcome to forums!
    A member of ETC.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Interesting that aside from The Last Harvest there are no Shattered Fates cards in here. Main one that I would put in would be Yari Bladedancer instead of Puwen, same stats but with an awesome ability, Puwen has gotten replaced from a couple of classes in SF. Bladedancer can also help in your theme of buffing up allies.

Tainted Oracle would be a good addition, the generally accepted theory is to use 6-8 draw cards, right now you just have 4 with Blood Frenzy, and if you don't draw that you can be in trouble, so TO is a good addition I'd say (provides another body too).

I tend to find that Enrage is fine at 1, 2 just sometimes winds up as a dead draw, many times it's just a "win more" kind of card.

+2 Crippling Blow is pretty important, also these can combo well with another SF ally you could try in Yari Marksman for more control.

As for weapons, Dragon's Tooth is a handy one for Boris, as it helps him kill off those pesky high cost allies (Marksman can also help a bit in this). Spectral Sabre can also be handy if you find yourself having problems with attachments.

Some of these additions would probably cause it to go a bit more over 40 cards than you'd like though, so just try different things and see what you like best.

Overall looks relatively solid though.
    Last edited by tman507; 09-25-2014 at 07:35 PM.
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."
    Account for any future SC transfers by Gondorian: BP tman507

Member of PFG3
    Master of Hand-to-hand Combat
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Official Shadow Era Wiki Moderator

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    @ oggtheman, Yeah, I know I need at least 40. Since this is my first go with Boris (and only my 2nd deck at all) I decided to just play with the starter deck and grind and see how I liked it, which has so far been a success. I agree that Tainted Oracle would be beneficial, I also like Jewelers Dream, so I may look to add that as well. What is the "QM" you're referring to?

@ tman507, Yeah, there are a few cards I like, Gaderi Reaver, Aetherborn Wisp, and Nathanias, but I feel like there's more "give and take" with those cards, perfect example is Twilight Ritualist, good card but it's ability kills it, and a number of cards seem to be "theme" based, so the benefit is in using many Yari or Twilight cards to gain the most advantage, at least that's my impression. I did spend time to look at all the available cards, so the one's that I picked both stood out, and made sense as a group to me.

I do agree that the Yari Bladedancer is a better card than Puwen, but it also cost 3 times as much, so I may start with Puwen and upgrade when I'm able to afford it.

The only reason I'd have more than 1x Enrage is just to make it more likely to draw, but I do see your point.

As for weapons, I thought about Dragon's Tooth but don't like it's high cost, but will definitely consider Spectral Sabre and Jewelers Dream. I've looked this up, and obviously there's no concrete answer, but how many Weapon cards would you recommend? Would 4 be overkill (maybe 2x JD and 2x SS)?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    @sulaco
    QM is the name given to quick match, which is available to play under challenge in the menu. This is a ladder, which, upon being good enough, you can try to win!
    A member of ETC.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    ^Yes, QM is quick match, where you go up against other players, for that you need at least 39 cards + hero.

And yes, merchant cost of Bladedancer would definitely be the one downside of him for you at the moment. However, when it comes to "themes", Bladedancer and Marksman are two Yaris that don't actually need other Yaris, so they can fit right in in any warrior. But Puwen is definitely still fine if you want to save up that gold.
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."
    Account for any future SC transfers by Gondorian: BP tman507

Member of PFG3
    Master of Hand-to-hand Combat
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Official Shadow Era Wiki Moderator

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Ahh, yeah I've done quite a few of those actually (at least when there are people playing). I do like that Marksman... not sure what I'd remove to add them though. This is what I've been able to put together so far:

Boris Skullcrusher

Allies: 18
    2x Kristoffer Wyld
    3x Puwen Bloodhelm
    3x Jasmine Rosecult
    3x Priest of the Light
    2x Kurt Whitehelm
    3x Braxnorian Soldier
    2x Armored Sandworm

Abilities/Items: 19
    3x The Last Harvest
    2x Crippling Blow
    2x Valiant Defender
    2x Retreat!
    2x War Banner
    4x Blood Frenzy
    2x Smashing Blow
    2x Enrage

Weapons/Armors: 4
    2x Rusty Longsword
    2x The King's Pride

Total: 41 + Boris
    http://db.deckmill.com/#f01i59hia9ki...9XrKb0bxbUl4pJ

Eventually, I'll be swapping some cards out, like Puwen, Kurt, and Rusty Longsword for Aldon, Yari Bladedancer, Tainted Oracle, and Jeweler's Dream. For now it works pretty well, and the principal is the same. I've been able to get Kris up to a 5/5, and if I play my cards right (zing!) I can have several 7/7 cards.

The only issue I've had is that it's a little bit slower to develop, and if I'm not pulling decent cards, I could end up stuck in situations where the other player has developed cards and my Allies are killed right after I cast them. I'm looking for a card to perhaps counter that, similar to a Supernova or Lightning Strike. Does anything like that exist for Warriors? I know Shield Bash deals damage but that's not quite right.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Warriors don't have any board wiping cards (Stuff like Tidal Wave or Supernova), nor any good direct damage cards (Mostly mage territory - like Fireball and Lightning Strike) if that's what you're asking.
    Special Delivery can be used by any human (IIRC) - does direct damage, but it's not a great card TBH.

Warriors don't really do direct damage - Weapons and allies are what you want to focus on. As Boris in particular, I would say mostly allies. Maybe Dragon's Tooth or Spectral Sabre for weapons? The Tooth with Boris' ability means you can instakill absolutely anything. Which is great. Spectral Sabre is good if you're running into a lot of attachment using enemies - Playing as a warrior for a while should show you how painful losing a Blood Frenzy (for example) can be. Or if it's used on the right ally who's crippled (or boosted...) it can change the match. And of course, it can be used to do a bit of fast damage to save yourself or finish the enemy.

Sounds like you might be having trouble with direct damage... One thing that helps are fairly tough 3-CC allies. There are a few with 5 health out there - Based on a quick scan of my cards, Spirit Warden, Twilight Ritualist, Yari Shieldbearer and Midnight Sentinel all do. That 1 extra HP means a single fireball can't take them out, which has helped me more than a few times. Even if it just makes the enemy use two spells instead of one, that helps a lot.

The first three have the same stats, so (cost aside, I'm not sure what they go for :|) you have a choice of abilities if you want to do that. Shieldbearer's won't be a lot of use if you don't use a lot of other Yari, for example, while the other two might be useful in a number of decks against a number of opponents.
    Proud Member of Alpha Predator
    Brotherhood. Honor. Glory.

I may set you on fire. It's not personal, I just like fire.

IGN: AP Flamebringer

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I suggest you add the following...

2x - Crippling Blow (great control card with low cost)
    2x - Dragons Tooth (dont be discouraged with the high cost coz with this you could kill allies that Boris' ability couldnt reach)
    3x - Aldon the Brave (so your turn 2 puwen could kill an opposing 3hp ally by turn 3... much better than last harvest or war banner as both the latter needs allies to be useful)
    3x-4x - Yari Marksman (to help you with controlling the board)
    2x - Aeon Stormcaller (one of the best 6cc ally... protector / ability / staying power)
    2x - Viska, the Scarlet Blade (anti weapon plus haste is great)

Replace the following...

Kurt Whitehelm - not worth it for the 4cc
    Kristoffer Wyld - you dont need it with your deck build
    Valiant Defender - you dont need this if you keep opponents board in check by Boris' ability, Marksman and Dragons Tooth
    The Last Harvest - just a bad card imo... its always better to play an ally instead of such
    War Banner - same as The Last Harvest
    Rusty Longsword - not needed
    1x Enrage - you need just one

I also dont think you'll need Jewelers Dream... not worth the deckslot.
    Boris having no access to board wipes need to control via allies and abilities... you need to keep pressure on the opponent and try to cast an ally every turn to keep the pressure up. You cant afford to play things like Last Harvest and War Banner which will only make you lose tempo and useless if you dont have allies on board.
    "Learn , Improve , Succeed"

Alternate Reality Champion
    Five Heroes Champion
    The Gunslinger II Champion
    World Championship Wildcard Qualifier 2013 Champion
    World Championship 2013 Top 16
    Asia Regionals 2014 Runner-Up
    World Championship 2014 3rd Runner-Up