Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Solo Decks Make Rage Quitters?

In another online game called DOTA 2, people often complain about heroes that go past the creeps, avoiding combat whatsoever with creeps/heroes and damage enemy base directly. However it is a legitimate strat as the dev did not ban it, and some heroes just happen to have abilities suited for 'backdooring'. Most importantly, it helps to win the game.

In SE I like to use decks that avoid ally combats (disable/kill cards) and damage hero directly. Somehow some players hate this and rage quit because they can't 'stomp allies' with their 'ally stomping strat'.

I find this funny because in SE it's not stated that "thou shalt engage in ally combats and not hit hero directly."
    Last edited by Secruoser; 09-25-2014 at 05:12 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I used to play DOTA2 and find this as a very good analogy. What hero do you think millstalker is in DOTA/DOTA2 ?
    chamthabo
    Sandrider of Arrakis
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

IGN : BP chamthabo

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Secruoser View Post
    In another online game called DOTA 2, people often complain about heroes that go past the creeps, avoiding combat whatsoever with creeps/heroes and damage enemy base directly. However it is a legitimate strat as the dev did not ban it, and some heroes just happen to have abilities suited for 'backdooring'. Most importantly, it helps to win the game.

In SE I like to use decks that avoid ally combats (disable/kill cards) and damage hero directly. Somehow some players hate this and rage quit because they can't 'stomp allies' with their 'ally stomping strat'.

I find this funny because in SE it's not stated that "thou shalt engage in ally combats and not hit hero directly."
    Why would people complain about that?

I mean, I wasn't good at dota or anything but I found literally 0 things wrong with "backdooring". Wards are kinda good at dealing with that.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Secruoser View Post

This is a bit of a false analogy.

Solo decks tend to keep the allies at a minimum and concentrate on killing the hero directly (as you say). It's frustrating because your opponent doesn't get to do anything and creates a boring NPE. I get that it's allowed and sometimes encouraged, it's just not fun to play against.

To use your Dota 2 example: Just because you play a hero that is good at "back dooring".... it doesn't mean your opponents can't take action against you and do things. They can buy wards, gem of sight (if your invis), and make attempts to counter you. If you played a hero that didn't let other heroes use any of their abilities FOR THE WHOLE GAME.... that would be a much more similar comparison.

TL,DR: The issue is not attacking the hero directly, the issue is do to game mechanics... effectively keeping your opponent from doing anything creates NPE, therefore causing rage quits.
    IGN: Darrkloki

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    If my opponent wants to devote his whole deck to board control, I think it's stupid for me to try to play his game.

Personally I don't like board control grinds that much (deck by deck basis of course, if there's something that makes it fun, then it's fun but right now it really isn't) so the decks I play don't really want to focus on that.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    As others point out, it's NPE. Also similarly, depending on my deck, if I'm going up against millstalker for example, I may know in advance that I've got no answer to him...so why bother playing a 30 minute game that I'll lose?
    IGN: ETC BobRoss
    "BobRoss puts the 'bRo' in Boss" - Gondorian
    Proud Member of ETC - Errors Terrors & Carers
    Europe/Africa Regional Champion 2014 (also top 8 in World Championship)
    See some videos with commentary of some of my Serena Games on Shadowera.net
    I also do a video show with TJ SamuelJ - Bob and Sam Trollin it Up!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by bobrossw View Post
    As others point out, it's NPE. Also similarly, depending on my deck, if I'm going up against millstalker for example, I may know in advance that I've got no answer to him...so why bother playing a 30 minute game that I'll lose?
    That's why it shouldn't be called "ragequitting", because that's what it isn't.

I often concede games when I think I have lost the game and I think it's completely fine to do so.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkloki View Post
    TL,DR: The issue is not attacking the hero directly, the issue is do to game mechanics... effectively keeping your opponent from doing anything creates NPE, therefore causing rage quits.
    I don't get how midrange/allied decks 'can't do anything' against solo/stall decks.

It seems to me that you would play the exact same way that you would against any other deck.

1) Get allies out early - get as much damage on the Hero as possible
    2) Get some draw going (or not because your opponent played Bazaar)
    3) Disrupt your opponent's plan with item/ability destruction or evasive allies
    4) Kill him

Maybe the window is smaller than against regular decks, but it's there. Especially if you have any kind of fast allies and some direct damage capabilities. Weapons are nice too.

Do 'solo' decks make some cards irrelevant? Maybe. IMO, the best stall decks will run a healthy number of allies (10 to 12). If they don't, they're playing suboptimal control cards that you can overwhelm with your run-of-the-mill allies.

That being said, I do understand that when these decks win, they have usually created such a strong hold on the game that you feel like there's nothing you can do (and you're right), but that's how control/combo decks have always won in the history of CCGs... why is it a problem now?
    FDL TV!

Channel | Thread | Twitter
    Deck Techs, Game Commentary, Replay Analysis and more!

FDL Tips: The Metagame, Balance and You || Empty Hands
    LL Decklists: Serena || Elementalis

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by FDL View Post
    That being said, I do understand that when these decks win, they have usually created such a strong hold on the game that you feel like there's nothing you can do (and you're right), but that's how control/combo decks have always won in the history of CCGs... why is it a problem now?
    You hear the occasional "blue is dumb" from more casual Magic players but aside from that I haven't really heard people complain that much about combo and/or control decks. A small amount yes, but no bigger than the amount of complaints about midrange. The biggest complain points are probably the cards that just win on their own but I don't think those exist in SE right now.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Actually I have found over the years in ccg's that rage quitters make Rage Quitters - it's a game and you win or lose - time to move on right haha but No I must stamp my feat and throw a tantrum first!

*Rage Quits this Thread!*