Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

[SF] Boris - Control Yo Face (330 rating)

So after of having a string of frustrating (but close!) losses with my Lance control deck, I decided to switch to something else. I still wanted to play control based (Blue White MTG player here, no interest in aggro kthx), but I needed a hero who could fight through the pain. Lance was breaking just before he could swing for the final turn or two to win. And so...

Mighty warrior! Warriors have access to Enrage and Rampage, along with the best draw engine in the game, Blood Frenzy. For some reason, attachment hatred is down, WAY down. My guess is this is due to the dethroning of Amber. But I honestly cannot remember the last time I saw a Sever Ties outside of a silly solo Jericho deck. So why Boris? Well, looking at all of the warriors, his ability is the most control based, probably followed by Logan, but I have an affinity for human fatties over shadow fatties. Ter Adun is just so bad - no decent player is going to summon a huge item for you to blow up for free. But never play an ally 4cc of lower? Doutbtful outside of solo decks or similar fatty decks. Boris got two big buffs in SF that many people overlook - one indirect and one direct. The indirect buff is that SF introduced a number of great 4cc allies that many people are using. Before SF, Boris' ability was almost always used on a 3cc ally such as Gargoyle, DMT, Jasmine, or Aldon. But now people are playing Iriana, Fortified Wisp, Murderous Hulk. All of these give Boris great value with his insta kill. The direct buff is Yari Marksman, who has incredible synergy with his ability.

So I began to put together a toolbox with Boris. I played against the computer a few times (I always do that with new decks to check for drawing consistency and to make sure the deck doesn't lose to complete trash) then took it to Quick Match. Results so far are 16-0, so quite good! I faced a variety of opponents too: Zal, Tala, Banebow, Baduruu, Victor, Majaya.

So after plenty of ado (I enjoy explaining my thought process), the deck:

4x Crippling Blow
    1x Aldon the Brave
    4x Blood Frenzy
    2x Smashing Blow
    1x War Banner
    1x A Legend Rises
    2x Artful Squire
    1x Enrage
    1x Rampage
    1x Spectral Sabre
    3x Stallwart Battleguard
    3x Yari Marksman
    3x Armored Sandworm
    3x Braxonian Soldier
    2x Aeon Stormcaller
    2x Dragon's Tooth
    2x Viska, the Scarlet Blade
    2x Nathanias, People's Champion
    1x The King's Pride

39 cards + Hero

With Warrior, I feel minimum deck size is important for the largest probability of drawing Blood Frenzy. I remember when Blood Frenzy was 2 mana and minimum deck size was 30 - T2 Blood Frenzy was sooooo strong. But I digress...

Does the deck look familiar? It's very similar to my Lance deck with warrior cards splashed in instead. The deck has the ability (with hero power) to destroy any card in the game besides Lythian Sledgehammer. Most of the synergies are obvious (Crippling Blow and Yari Marksman, i.e.), so I'll point out some not so obvious things.

1. I experimented with 1x Artful Squire and 1x Dawn Raid, but I felt I was trying too hard to get value out of Dawn Raid. The Squire can also be used as an ally for decent 4cc stats, but.... Nathanias can also summon him, and you can blow up you opponents 4cc item for free (I did this, it was devastating)!

2. Dragon's Tooth. This card has much stronger value in SF I feel due to its wording. You don't have to do damage to the ally to kill it, just attack it. This means Dakrarh, Viska, and the old familiar Armored Sandworns all fall victim to it.

Ideal start would be:
    T1 - pass
    T2 - Cripple opponent's ally / pass
    T3 - Blood Frenzy
    T4 - Stalwart / Marksman if opponent has 3 ally's + Hero ability if going second
    T5 - Sandworm / Braxonian depending on opponent's board and Hero
    T6 - Aeon / Viska depending on opponent's board
    T7 - Nathanias

Games will be long. There's absolutely no early game here. Stalwart rewards you for playing slow though, and Boris' ability acts as clean up duty so you don't lose control of the board.

Enrage and Rampage will keep you alive through any face burn. Once you have the board, throw down The King's Pride, Aldon, and War Banner and enjoy the hard hits. My opponent usually goes from full HP to dead in two turns. He simply runs out of answers to my onslaught of fatties, and once they start sticking... gg.

Anyway, really enjoying the deck. I feel like it does what my Lance deck was trying to do but fell short. Plus the ever popular Zaladar matchup is much easier since your ability kills every ally in his deck besides a transformed Living Armor and you have a burst heal and a slow heal.

Love to hear others' thoughts. Would love even more for you to try it and tell me what you think!
    Last edited by blueblurr; 09-24-2014 at 05:16 PM.
    IGN: blueblurr

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks again for sharing man...
    Feels so solid

1-What about Eris? This guy makes all warriors auto loss

2-You don't have any 3cc or 2 cc allies... Is this a problem apart from single Aldon

3- most importantly, where is seductress >>>combo well with his boris ability as well as works aganist stealth and have great synergy with CP and Markshman

4 - with all these fatties, you don't need KP or war banner (unless it protects you from direct hit of stealth ms)

5- do you think this build is better than a Yari build after next update (Yari pride armor and iron will boost)
    Last edited by Rivozzz; 09-24-2014 at 05:29 PM.
    Master of Puppets
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Check SE No 1 Guild

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    What about lythian shackles? Great with. Hero ability to stop 2 allies for 0cc.
    In my version I also run snow sapphire to delay/ freeze while you regain control
    I also wonder about sentinel? Could this be used to good effect?
    Last edited by oggtheman; 09-24-2014 at 05:33 PM.
    A member of ETC.
    Creator of boomerang combo deck.
    Likes playing lots of card games.

I had a really awful signature in the past so i changed it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivozzz View Post
    Thanks again for sharing man...
    Feels so solid

1-What about Eris? This guy makes all warriors auto loss

2-You don't have any 3cc or 2 cc allies... Is this a problem apart from single Aldon

3- most importantly, where is seductress >>>combo well with his boris ability as well as works aganist stealth and have great synergy with CP and Markshman

4 - with all these fatties, you don't need KP or war banner (unless it protects you from direct hit of stealth ms)

5- do you think this build is better than a Yari build after next update (Yari pride armor and iron will boost)
    Thanks for your comments!

1. I did consider Eris. I think she works much better with Lance because of his haste and using her ability on the same turn she's summoned. The deck has enough attachment hate with Sabre and ALR. I beat a Vess no problem by just making an ALR'ed Brax stick behind an Aeon (no third ally for you, mr marksman). Plus with Dragon's Tooth as well, you're starting to clog your curve on 6cc.

2. This is not a problem. I always have a BF or CB to play on turn 3. Aldon is for lategame, he's never a T3.

3. Seductres would only find value going second, because I sac every single turn with this deck. EVERY turn, because BF is filling my hand so much and I don't want to be punished by Retreats and Santas. Seductress works well for Warrior decks that hug a lower resource curve around 5 or 6 like Amber.

4. I agree, they are not necessary to win, hence only 1x of each. The KP also block TEN points of damage though and War Banner helps with trading sometimes.

5. Not familiar with this buff upcoming? Can you elaborate?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I've been playing a bit of haste Boris with some good success, excited to try this fattie build. Thanks for sharing Blueblurr!I'll let you know what I think after I test a bit.
    Newb Member of Enlisted to Endure (E2E)

But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation. 1 Peter 1:15 KJV

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by blueblurr View Post
    Thanks for your comments!

1. I did consider Eris. I think she works much better with Lance because of his haste and using her ability on the same turn she's summoned. The deck has enough attachment hate with Sabre and ALR. I beat a Vess no problem by just making an ALR'ed Brax stick behind an Aeon (no third ally for you, mr marksman). Plus with Dragon's Tooth as well, you're starting to clog your curve on 6cc.

2. This is not a problem. I always have a BF or CB to play on turn 3. Aldon is for lategame, he's never a T3.

3. Seductres would only find value going second, because I sac every single turn with this deck. EVERY turn, because BF is filling my hand so much and I don't want to be punished by Retreats and Santas. Seductress works well for Warrior decks that hug a lower resource curve around 5 or 6 like Amber.

4. I agree, they are not necessary to win, hence only 1x of each. The KP also block TEN points of damage though and War Banner helps with trading sometimes.

5. Not familiar with this buff upcoming? Can you elaborate?

Upcoming Buff:

1-Fates 062 Crown of Agesi: Ability changed to “When Crown of Agesi is destroyed, the opposing ally with the lowest health takes 2 damage. 1: Target friendly Warrior or Ravager ally has +2 attack until the start of your next turn.” (from “When Crown of Ages is destroyed, the opposing ally with the lowest health takes 2 damage. 1: Target friendly Ravager ally has +2 attack until the start of your next turn.”)

So A yarii blade dancer T2, crown T3, will make yari bladedance 4 attack...or any warrior ally +2 attack...

2-Fates 170 Pride of the Yarii: Redesigned to “1D: Friendly Yari allies have +X attack until the end of the turn, where X is the number of Yari allies you control.” (from “1D: If an opposing player controls allies greater than or equal to the number you control, target Yari ally gains haste.”)

So that means if you 2 or 3 yari allies, you can do massive damage in one turn

One more question

You have only 4 draw cards,,,What happen if you dont get BF???
    Last edited by Rivozzz; 09-24-2014 at 06:23 PM.
    Master of Puppets
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Check SE No 1 Guild

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Neat pivot there, Blueblurr - I've started on a new Serena concept myself, that should work nicely with the new cutlass changes - I'll post it after I've tested some more.

The difference as I see it between the Yari decks (pre and post 2.86) and this is that there are more fatties in this. That Yari deck will have synergies and combos that are capable of doing a lot of damage in certain conditions. The goal with this deck is to control and slowly overwhelm. Decks with good ally removal will probably do better vs those Yari decks than this one (especially if they've got board wipes), since there are just more hit-points on allies to eat through here, and by mid-late game every turn is a fatty.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivozzz View Post
    Upcoming Buff:

You have only 4 draw cards,,,What happen if you dont get BF???
    I have checked most of his games and he always drop BF at 3rd round. Never seen him skip it.

Either he is incredible lucky, or he skip those games he doesnt draw it by turn 3

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashriel88 View Post
    I have checked most of his games and he always drop BF at 3rd round. Never seen him skip it.

Either he is incredible lucky, or he skip those games he doesnt draw it by turn 3
    Luck you say? Time for the math, bro...

Hypergeometric probability using the Excel formula 1-HYPERGEOMDIST(0,N,4,39) where N is the number of cards drawn yields the following:

Going first...
    P(BF,T1) == 50.25%
    P(BF,T2) == 56.28%
    P(BF,T3) == 61.75%
    P(BF,T4) == 66.68%

Going second...
    P(BF,T1) == 56.28%
    P(BF,T2) == 61.75%
    P(BF,T3) == 66.68%
    P(BF,T4) == 71.12%

So going first means I have a 61.75% chance of drawing BF by turn 3, and going second I have a 66.68% chance. So I SHOULD draw it by turn three more times than I don't. But yes, I have gotten lucky in regards to not having the no T3 BF come up.

#mathz
    IGN: blueblurr

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by blueblurr View Post
    Luck you say? Time for the math, bro...

Hypergeometric probability using the Excel formula 1-HYPERGEOMDIST(0,N,4,39) where N is the number of cards drawn yields the following:

Going first...
    P(BF,T1) == 50.25%
    P(BF,T2) == 56.28%
    P(BF,T3) == 61.75%
    P(BF,T4) == 66.68%

Going second...
    P(BF,T1) == 56.28%
    P(BF,T2) == 61.75%
    P(BF,T3) == 66.68%
    P(BF,T4) == 71.12%

So going first means I have a 61.75% chance of drawing BF by turn 3, and going second I have a 66.68% chance. So I SHOULD draw it by turn three more times than I don't. But yes, I have gotten lucky in regards to not having the no T3 BF come up.

#mathz
    So there is α 66.68 % chance that would draw it by turn 3. And the chance to draw it by turn 3 in 10 consecutive games (the ones that i checked) is 66.68%10 = 1.73% according to statistics. It is a little lucky to be part of the 1.73% chances instead of the 98.27%, don't you think?
    No offence to your deckbuilding or playing skills (which I think are awesome), just want to point out that sometimes luck favored you in the drawing engine part of the games and the deck looked more consistent due to not needing additional draw in any of the games
    Last edited by Ashriel88; 09-24-2014 at 11:43 PM.