Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Tidal Wave and Earthen Protector in the New 2.86 Order

If for Example, I had 3 allies which I killed using a tidal wave while I had no previous allies in my graveyard and Earthen Protector was the middle of the 3 allies played, should the allies' deaths resolve:

Ally A is Knight of the Golden Dawn and it is sent to the graveyard
    Ally B is Earthen Protector and his on death ability is triggered and it is sent to the graveyard (reviving the Knight)
    and finally Ally C is Elizabeth Winterborn and she is sent to graveyard
    At the end of the turn, the Knight is in play with the boosts granted by EP

I'm pretty sure this is how it is supposed to work, but I don't know for sure, and don't think that it actually works this way....

edits below:

You say
    Earthen Protector has taken lethal damage from the Tidal Wave, so is at 0HP and therefore not alive to trigger his ability when the first ally is killed due to 0HP. They should all end up in the graveyard.
    So Cryptspawn Tormentor's is an on-death ability, and that is why it is honored, whereas Earthen Protector's requires ???, that would allow his ability to take effect?

This seems very confusing. Clearly, Cryptspawn Tormentor has taken lethal damage, and Allies A and C were not already in the graveyard when CT took lethal damage, but didn't Mojumbo's ruling say that since the others were already marked for death he would be returned to hand?

We have since changed it such that the way the standard resolution order will handle these "on death" abilities is by both resolving the ability and sending that ally to the graveyard before moving onto the next one.
    Does this mean that only on-death abilities are fully evaluated from left to right as the deaths occur? If this were true, wouldn't there be an insufficient quantity of dead allies in the Graveyard to allow the Tormentor to return?

How is this implemented? After every effect in the game that could affect the health of any ally or hero, every ally/hero's health is checked in SRO order and anyone on OHP is killed.
    Sorry if I sound argumentative. I'm trying to gain a firm grasp on the rules. I would prefer to be able to cite an order of operations that would hold true for future card-sets, Meltdown format, physical play, etc., and am having difficulty keeping things straight.
    Last edited by a player; 09-20-2014 at 07:30 PM.
    Least active member of: ETC (Ended There by Chance)
    Account for Gondorian to transfer Shadow Crystals to: m0ghedian

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Earthen Protector has taken lethal damage from the Tidal Wave, so is at 0HP and therefore not alive to trigger his ability when the first ally is killed due to 0HP. They should all end up in the graveyard.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by a player View Post
    If for Example, I had 3 allies which I killed using a tidal wave while I had no previous allies in my graveyard and Earthen Protector was the middle of the 3 allies played, should the allies' deaths resolve:

Ally A is Knight of the Golden Dawn and it is sent to the graveyard
    Ally B is Earthen Protector and his on death ability is triggered and it is sent to the graveyard (reviving the Knight)
    and finally Ally C is Elizabeth Winterborn and she is sent to graveyard
    At the end of the turn, the Knight is in play with the boosts granted by EP

I'm pretty sure this is how it is supposed to work, but I don't know for sure, and don't think that it actually works this way....

edits below:

You say

So Cryptspawn Tormentor's is an on-death ability, and that is why it is honored, whereas Earthen Protector's requires ???, that would allow his ability to take effect?

This seems very confusing. Clearly, Cryptspawn Tormentor has taken lethal damage, and Allies A and C were not already in the graveyard when CT took lethal damage, but didn't Mojumbo's ruling say that since the others were already marked for death he would be returned to hand?

Does this mean that only on-death abilities are fully evaluated from left to right as the deaths occur? If this were true, wouldn't there be an insufficient quantity of dead allies in the Graveyard to allow the Tormentor to return?

Sorry if I sound argumentative. I'm trying to gain a firm grasp on the rules. I would prefer to be able to cite an order of operations that would hold true for future card-sets, Meltdown format, physical play, etc., and am having difficulty keeping things straight.

EP specifically needs to be alive (as written on his ability). 0HP isn't alive, even if the game has not yet resolved him being killed.