• Star Wars Battlefront 2

5 33.33%
  • Tekken 5

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Peithoson View Post
    Why isn't Shadow of the Colossus on here?
    I thought it was, woops. It should be.
    GMT +13
    IGN: Exterminans
    Champion of Shadow Era for New Zealand
    Theme Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsdrJmXzISs

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Demnchi View Post
    I hope its not too much of a derailment, but what is it that you guys like about FF12? I personally didn't like it at all, so I'm curious.
    was 12 the one where you got to like program what you did in battle? I thought that was so much fun! altho the limitbreak part was pretty terrible, overall I liked the gameplay alot even tho most people didnt, just liked the logic aspect and setting it all up.
    IGN: AO1 Pjoe0211
    Trophy Case
    3rd in first tourny SE tourney ever
    joint winner of 1.27 master tournament
    2nd in crown(9) "Five Classes"
    winner of 7 pop up tourneys
    2nd in 4 pop up tourneys
    2nd in green division 1 season 4
    2nd in TJ ironman challenge tourney

Winner of 12 pop ups
    2nd in 16 pop ups
    Winner of [Beta Server] Every Heros Tournament
    2nd in Gondorian's GR34T tournament
    Winner of [SF] : Extremely Tough Challenge: THE DRAFT

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Demnchi View Post
    I hope its not too much of a derailment, but what is it that you guys like about FF12? I personally didn't like it at all, so I'm curious.
    The exploration was really fun and I really liked the combat system. A lot of the fights were challenging and required correct placement so you don't get wiped out by some AoE spell. First time doing the Venasaur boss (the big plant thing that can confuse a small area) I lost complete control of my group and saw Balthier OHKO my healer right in front of me. While frustrating it made me laugh a whole lot and taught me that I can't treat the game like it's some delayed hack'n'slash. The quests were really well done in my opinion and all of the bosses were really well balanced. By that I mean they didn't really have cheap instakill moves that you can't do anything about, barring Zodiak's Darkness that only had a CHANCE to instakill, but that was just an aspect of its Dark magick. There wasn't one set of super armor you can rely on for every fight because sometimes you need the elemental absorption some other pieces offer. I spent about 300 hours in that game and none of it felt wasted. The only thing I didn't like was the main character Vaas. Those rock-textured abs always freaked me out.

EDIT: Most memorable boss fight was the Hell Wyrm. It took me like an hour to bring that thing down and it felt really satisfying when I finally killed it. This game did bosses right... unlike Dark Souls II :|
    Last edited by Ganjamus; 09-17-2014 at 04:41 AM.
    Raised in Exile. Trained in Kiptergarten. Mastering the ways of SE one step at a time.

Long live the Queen...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    i also agree that leaving Shadow of the Colossus off the list was a pretty large fumble.

for my money, FFX >> FFXII. the story was simply better and the characters were much more memorable. let's also not forget that this was the first ever final fantasy game where the character's dialogue was audible. all other FF games that i've seen/played before had written dialogue, so it was a massive change that made the game that much more memorable.

lastly, no love for Metal Gear? MGS: Sons of Liberty was literally the game that people bought their PS2 to play (except those who bought a PS2 for the DVD player aspect).

P.S. - why no love for God of War? no votes so far :'(
    Accolades:
    Former Member of The A1 Alliance "Evolution In Theory"
    Season 4 Hall of Fame Top Ranking - Ranked #14 soothslyr1
    Gondoriandotcom Flash Tournament - Winner (Over Portgaz D Ace) Team Juggernaut
    Bluejet24 Crown Tournament - Winner (Over Crispy1313)
    Hatts Pop up Tournament - Winner (Jjsia) A1 Member

Contributions To The Community:
    Priest Tactics Forum
    Ways To Play
    Advanced Strategies [Part: 1]
    Advanced Strategies [Parts: 2 & 3]

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by pjoe0211 View Post
    was 12 the one where you got to like program what you did in battle? I thought that was so much fun! altho the limitbreak part was pretty terrible, overall I liked the gameplay alot even tho most people didnt, just liked the logic aspect and setting it all up.
    *fist pump* I loved the gambit system, it really made the characters feel like they had specific class jobs (which the game took away). I really want to play the International Zodiac Job System version, but it's in Japanese and I wouldn't be able to understand it.
    Raised in Exile. Trained in Kiptergarten. Mastering the ways of SE one step at a time.

Long live the Queen...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by soothslyr View Post
    i also agree that leaving Shadow of the Colossus off the list was a pretty large fumble.

for my money, FFX >> FFXII. the story was simply better and the characters were much more memorable. let's also not forget that this was the first ever final fantasy game where the character's dialogue was audible. all other FF games that i've seen/played before had written dialogue, so it was a massive change that made the game that much more memorable.

lastly, no love for Metal Gear? MGS: Sons of Liberty was literally the game that people bought their PS2 to play (except those who bought a PS2 for the DVD player aspect).

P.S. - why no love for God of War? no votes so far :'(
    What's with the love for Shadow of the Colossus? I played it and couldn't really get into it. You basically just ran around looking for those giant beings to kill and they were all really simplistic.

I feel like I missed out on something with FFX since I didn't have a PS2 when it came out and I honestly didn't even know it existed when I finally did get a PS2. My friend raves about it even now so if FFXII ever does come out for the Vita then I'll pick up the remastered version of FFX and play that, too.

Long live the Queen...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    The love for Shadow of the Colossus imo has a lot to do with the simplicity, elegance, and scope of the game.

Sure, you didn't do a ton more than chase down the colossi, but taking down each one was a puzzle. They were beautifully designed and creative, vanquishing one made you feel like a true hero, and did I mention how unbelievably massive most of them were?

Your horse was a boss and the score was fantastic! The game has pretty much universal praise for a reason. I recommend giving it another go!

Also, you definitely missed out on FFX. It's probably my favorite console game of all time! The experience of playing it is one you won't forget!
    Accolades:
    Former Member of The A1 Alliance "Evolution In Theory"
    Season 4 Hall of Fame Top Ranking - Ranked #14 soothslyr1
    Gondoriandotcom Flash Tournament - Winner (Over Portgaz D Ace) Team Juggernaut
    Bluejet24 Crown Tournament - Winner (Over Crispy1313)
    Hatts Pop up Tournament - Winner (Jjsia) A1 Member

Contributions To The Community:
    Priest Tactics Forum
    Ways To Play
    Advanced Strategies [Part: 1]
    Advanced Strategies [Parts: 2 & 3]

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    yeah i have to say, i have no memory of the story for ff12, there were only 6 characters and the story was super weak from what i remember, but the gameplay had to be my favorite, boss battles were really fun, also i remember just running around with Bathier perma hasted and berzerked just wasting anything i ran by

on a side note, i played final fantasy 13-3, and the story was the most disappointing glob of shit(all these characters you get attached to in the previous games, get serious mental issues cause they lived for 200 yards without aging), you just run around doing errands for 13 days, the battle system was the only redeeming factor.
    IGN: AO1 Pjoe0211
    Trophy Case
    3rd in first tourny SE tourney ever
    joint winner of 1.27 master tournament
    2nd in crown(9) "Five Classes"
    winner of 7 pop up tourneys
    2nd in 4 pop up tourneys
    2nd in green division 1 season 4
    2nd in TJ ironman challenge tourney

Winner of 12 pop ups
    2nd in 16 pop ups
    Winner of [Beta Server] Every Heros Tournament
    2nd in Gondorian's GR34T tournament
    Winner of [SF] : Extremely Tough Challenge: THE DRAFT

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Well, not to mention that Shadow of the Colossus was technically impressive for its time. But well beyond that it was a game where the interpretation of what was going on and what you were doing was left up to you and your emotions, it was always mysterious as well. The travel time, the score, the puzzle, the battle, ect were all used to convey a certain sense of emotions as you progressed. For example, sooth said he felt like a hero. After a few of them, I actually started to question if killing them was the right thing to do. I think its awesome when a game can have different interpretations like that.

Beyond that even, the gameplay was comprised of smart puzzles and immersing controls. The game would usually leave them to you to figure it out, only stepping in once in the beginning if you were truly stuck (and usually only before you get on the colossus). You had to think about the colossus you were fighting as well as the environment around it to defeat them. Having to using the R1 button on the controller along with the analog stick and other buttons ensured you were holding the controller properly for the rumble in the control to have as much impact as possible (assuming you didn't turn it off) so it felt like they were truly trying to shake you off if you got into it (which you should, as it was that kind of game).

Which brings me to the point that certain gamers were probably put off by that as some people play games for different reasons. I loved feeling like I was on an adventure to save someone I cared about (although that's also your own interpretation ) against seemingly impossible odds, but I know a lot of people couldn't stand the mechanics or pacing of the game and therefore didn't keep playing it. But to me it was a satisfying game, and even if I didn't know if killing them was the correct answer, it was satisfying to finally bring down something so massive that you struggled against and overcame.

Also thanks for the posts about FF12. I have a better understanding of why you guys enjoyed it. I don't want to make this post too long so I'll save why I didn't like it for another post.
    Last edited by Demnchi; 09-17-2014 at 02:27 PM.
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I haven't played that many; Quake Revolution, Gran Turismo 3 and sequels, some GTAs, but my favourite is Mortal Kombat: Armageddon Great variety of fighters and moves, fun gameplay and very immersive and vicious combat
    BP Inactive member | IGN: SafOne