Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9/11

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Sad day for those who lost their family members. I always remember the day it happened even though I wasnt personally affected.

Spooky fact: an actual person with my exact name/surname died on that day in the attack on World trade center.
    Nerull7 - Backhand of Justice
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

IGN: BP Nerull7 | Our Guild | Watch Epic BP Games: | 1 | 2 | 3 |
    Talk less crap, do more for community

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Veles View Post
    Because it selfish. All tragedies should be equal. Just not everyone has media coverage/monopoly to showcase it to everyone else.
    Then raise awareness about those atrocities. I pray to God you never experience an atrocity, but you would understand why many Americans feel the way they do today if you did. Saying stuff like "all atrocities should be equal" is a cop out. Some atrocities resonate with different people because they actually experienced them or were affected in some way. So if it bothers you that much, then educate us on those other atrocities. Don't trash someone else's parade for your own satisfaction though.

Never Forget

"Are you guys ready? Ok, let's roll." - Todd Beamer

Proud to be an American
    Kicker of puppies, slasher of babies, and primordial Elder Lich.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Peithoson View Post
    Then raise awareness about those atrocities. I pray to God you never experience an atrocity, but you would understand why many Americans feel the way they do today if you did. Saying stuff like "all atrocities should be equal" is a cop out. Some atrocities resonate with different people because they actually experienced them or were affected in some way. So if it bothers you that much, then educate us on those other atrocities. Don't trash someone else's parade for your own satisfaction though.

Never Forget

"Are you guys ready? Ok, let's roll." - Todd Beamer

Proud to be an American
    I was 7 years old when I experienced air bombardment. Close family member died in a war. And I don't go around gaming forums reminding people about that or bring it up on national level. There is a way and place to do these kind of stuff and pay respects to innocent victims and its not here.
    Last edited by Veles; 09-12-2014 at 12:15 AM.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm not one to normally speak about this sort of thing and totally sympathize with anyone subjected to any hateful act. I find war and violence appalling on the deepest level of my being and wish the world was free of such acts. I was watching a documentary tonight, that was about this very type of stuff strangely enough, and I could not help but feel total sadness for everyone involved, everyone. The thought that any single person or government needs to make statements through actions of violence in this day and age is beyond my comprehension. I understand the right to live a full life and the need to sometimes defend this right but truly wish we could grow up and past all this and open a new chapter in human history. A chapter filled with communication and compassion for every living thing on the planet. One where we show the universe just how beautiful a human being can be instead of how ugly. Take this as you will and make what you want of it for I know my own head and heart well enough to share these thoughts with any person on this planet. To all I wish you peace and may you find a way to lead the life you were born to lead.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    World peace!
    Buried Treasure of Nanana
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix/ Greatness, Reborn
    My tournament achievements

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Veles View Post
    I was 7 years old when I experienced air bombardment. Close family member died in a war. And I don't go around gaming forums reminding people about that or bring it up on national level. There is a way and place to do these kind of stuff and pay respects to innocent victims and its not here.
    +1.

- A member of my family was killed on Bloody Sunday in 1972. Shot dead by British soldiers. It's not relevant to anyone else who doesn't have Irish blood so I keep it to myself.

- Hundreds of New Zealanders were killed or wounded in a series of violent earthquakes in Christchurch in 2011. The city itself was almost totally destroyed. To this day my aunt suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder. Again, most of you don't care so why would I broadcast it?

America still thinks it is the centre of the universe. It is tragic that so many people were killed and it is fine to mourn your dead. But I don't understand why your national tragedies must be forced down the throats of everyone else and brought up in the most bizarre places like a gaming forum.
    Last edited by Twio; 09-12-2014 at 05:44 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Twio
    America still thinks it is the centre of the universe. It is tragic that so many people were killed and it is fine to mourn your dead. But I don't understand why your national tragedies must be forced down the throats of everyone else and brought up in the most bizarre places like a gaming forum.
    While I agree America does think too highly of itself (something which will lead to major problems in the future and probably to 9/11 to begin with, and this is me as an American saying this), I don't see how making a thread for rememberance of the event is forcing it down anybodies throat. If you want to remember it, remember it, if you don't, then don't. Simple as that. Let those who want to remember it use this thread to do so and stop with the arguments against it. It's not like you're being forced to read or reply to this thread.

I personally chose to remember it.
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."
    Account for any future SC transfers by Gondorian: BP tman507

Member of PFG3
    Master of Hand-to-hand Combat
    Greatness, Reborn

Official Shadow Era Wiki Moderator

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by tman507 View Post
    While I agree America does think too highly of itself (something which will lead to major problems in the future and probably to 9/11 to begin with, and this is me as an American saying this), I don't see how making a thread for rememberance of the event is forcing it down anybodies throat. If you want to remember it, remember it, if you don't, then don't. Simple as that. Let those who want to remember it use this thread to do so and stop with the arguments against it. It's not like you're being forced to read or reply to this thread.

I personally chose to remember it.
    That's fine. While you're at it:

- Remember the 1.4 million Iraqis killed as a direct result of U.S. invasion, a fraction of whom were hostiles.
    - Don't forget the 20,000 Afghan civilians killed by the U.S. military.
    - Spare a thought for the thousands of Palestinian men, women and children slaughtered THIS YEAR ALONE by genocidal Jews , who are armed and trained by the U.S.
    Last edited by Twio; 09-12-2014 at 06:17 AM.
    GMT +13
    IGN: Exterminans
    Champion of Shadow Era for New Zealand
    Theme Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsdrJmXzISs

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    ^ It's not like I don't care about those things, there's a lot of terrible things going on in the world these days, but you can't really expect those with a connection to it to not mention it to want to remember it. I mean, I know this is an international community and all, and those from other places won't care so much, but for the Americans, especially those directly impacted by it, why shouldn't we be able to remember it if we want?
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."
    Account for any future SC transfers by Gondorian: BP tman507

Member of PFG3
    Master of Hand-to-hand Combat
    Greatness, Reborn

Official Shadow Era Wiki Moderator

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by tman507 View Post
    ^ It's not like I don't care about those things, there's a lot of terrible things going on in the world these days, but you can't really expect those with a connection to it to not mention it to want to remember it. I mean, I know this is an international community and all, and those from other places won't care so much, but for the Americans, especially those directly impacted by it, why shouldn't we be able to remember it if we want?
    You're allowed to remember it. But believe me, other Americans don't need help remembering. So who is this thread for?

The message you're sending, intentionally or not, is something like this.

"When innocent Americans die it's an international tragedy which must never be forgotten. When Americans kill innocent foreigners on the other side of the world, it isn't worth talking about."

And I'm speaking for myself here. I think Veles' issue with it is completely different.
    GMT +13
    IGN: Exterminans
    Champion of Shadow Era for New Zealand
    Theme Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsdrJmXzISs