Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by igornvidal View Post
    So I just filmed my deck at 1080p and it's 2 x 800mb mp4 files (like 10 min each) . Any smart way to convert or upload it without f:%%)ing my Internet connection?
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Veles View Post
    I forgot to mention I'm on Android and filmed the game on iPad. So I used the app "video dieter" and I'm already uploading it. Ty!
    IGN: LDL kuhuru GMT -3h

Representante do Brasil no Street Fighter World Warrior Tournament

Member of: {LDL} "LEGION DE DRAGONES LATINOS"
    "Con la fuerza de un dragon, venceremos"

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    My set up.

Software
    Recording: Bandicam. I used Fraps originally but Bandi suits my needs better
    Editing: Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11
    Audio: Audacity

PC

Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6670 (old as hell needs upgraded)
    Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Processor: AMD Phenom II 6 core
    HDD: 1TB

Equipment

Mic: Audio-Technica ATR2500
    Headphones: JVC HARX700
    The Trueblade of ETC

Shadow Era, Hearthstone, Let's Play

Entertain The Community
    IGN:ETC GnEric

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    BUMP for Ahmet!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    OBS seems to be the go-to software, I use this as well when capturing games on my iPhone. Other software is Reflector to display my iOS screen in combination with OBS. No audio software yet because I haven't added commentary to any videos :P
    Proud Member of TEAM JUGGERNAUTS!
    IGN: TJ KarnivX

My Deviant Art

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks for linking Gondorian!

There are several software mentioned in this topic that I haven't tried.

What I need is a capture software that can record at:

*at least 60 fps (cos I don't like choppy animation from lower FPS)
    *with small file size if possible
    *single file output

I don't know this is possible without editing. Best if I don't have to edit, resize after I record. The ones I haven't tried are CamStudio, OBS, dxtory and MSI Afterburner. I'll probably have to check them each myself but it would be nice if people who have used them can comment if that is what I'm looking for.
    Last edited by ahmet476; 10-09-2014 at 06:15 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    OBS is free and records smoothly. Highly recommended go to program for recording.
    Proud Member of TEAM JUGGERNAUTS!
    IGN: TJ KarnivX

My Deviant Art

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hey Ahmet I'll share my experiences with you.

Bandicam (My choice for recording)

Pros
    - Supports many different codecs, resolutions and other options
    - Interface is pretty straight forward
    - From my experience it seems less intensive than Fraps and has a smaller impact on your fps
    - Can record a section of your screen. This allows you to record games that do not support the "hook in" feature most of these programs use. without having to record the entire desktop.
    - Can record at a different Resolution than you are using. for example I play Shovel Knight in Full Screen 1600 x 900 but my recording are a smaller 1280 x 720

Cons
    - Only Supports 2 Audio Channels so game and mic only
    - File Sizes are much smaller than Fraps but you will still need a program like Handbrake or some editing tool to bring the size down.

Fraps

Pros
    - Easy to use very, straight forward interface

Cons
    - Very Demanding on the PC can cause large fps drops.
    - Files sizes are extremely large.
    - All audio is recorded to the same channel so your voice over is mixed in with the game sound. If you have alot of background noise it can really hurt your recording.
    - No customization at all outside of basic settings.

DxTory

Pros
    - Lots of customization supports just as many if not more codecs than Bandicam
    - Can Record up to 8 Audio Channels. good for multi-person set ups
    - Less intense than Fraps comparable to the other programs.

Cons
    - All the options can make the interface pretty overwhelming at first

Playclaw

Pros
    - Very user friendly interface super easy to set up and use.
    - Available on Steam so it is subject to the occasional heavy discount (I've seen it 40-50% off several times)
    - Supports up to 16 audio channels. no idea what you could use them all for but they are there.

Cons
    - Limited customization only supports the 2-3 codecs that come bundled in with the program.

Final Thoughts

All four of these programs can do 60 fps recordings and output a single file. However the File Sizes will vary greatly depending on the codec you choose. using a program like Handbreak or editing software are recommended in all cases to bring the files size down to manageable levels.

Also of note is that if you are planning to upload your videos to Youtube they will be re-encoded to 30 FPS regardless of how you recorded them. Youtube has announced they will be upgrading to 60 fps video at some point, but who knows when that will be?

Price wise the programs all cost roughly the same at least in USD give or take a dollar or two.

My personal Rankings/Recommendations

1. Bandicam / DxTory
    2. Playclaw
    3. Fraps

I have the most experience with Fraps and Bandicam so I may have overlooked some features of the others All four programs do have free trials however so you can test them yourself and find which works best for you.

I believe Alzorath uses DxTory and FDL uses OBS so hopefully they can provide more input on their software of choice.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by GnEric; 10-10-2014 at 04:49 AM.
    The Trueblade of ETC

Shadow Era, Hearthstone, Let's Play

Entertain The Community
    IGN:ETC GnEric

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks Karniv and GnEric.

@Gneric
    I've used Fraps and Faststone Capture before. I know youtube reencodes your vids to 30 fps right now. The thing I noticed with these software is that with Fraps recording at 60 the animations were very smooth, just like I was playing the game. With the latter one, however, the animations looked choppy. Then I was looking into why that was and found out FC was capturing at 25 fps and later realized the output wasn't even 25 and it was actually 15 for some reason (seen it while converting with Freemake Video Converter). Thus, I thought it was the difference of FPS that made the animations choppy. Maybe the difference of FPS is not the reason for that. I was just guessing. Regardless of what youtube does though, the animation quality doesn't change.

I have some videos on my channel recorded with Fraps and others with FC and one can clearly see the difference, at least if they are playing video games.

I think I'll record a minute or two of gameplay with these programs to see which one has the smoothest animation with smallest file size. There are so many options.
    Last edited by ahmet476; 10-10-2014 at 06:13 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I use FRAPs and OBS most of the time, for simplicity's sake, DxTory is a nice piece of software, just requires more setup (good though, definitely worth it).

Also, there are many factors outside of the software that influence the recording... truth be told, they all can deliver really good recordings, it's more a matter of the hardware you're using than the software (I always recommend, if people are going to do serious recording, that they use 2 harddrives - one drive for the game files/recording software/etc., the second drive dedicated to receiving the video footage and only the video footage... this prevents a nasty bottleneck which causes inconsistent framerates and huge frame drops)