Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Shard of Power (wording fix)

This must be one of the most confusing, unintuitive cards,

When you play it, it deals damage and reduces health to 1, but! once the damage is done, the ally is not considered damaged.
    On top of that, the cards that reduce base health, like hunter's gambit, won't kill a 1 health creature unless it is a base one health creature.

I think the following wording might help players see the real nature of what Shard is doing:

"Friendly allies have +2 attack. If a friendly ally takes more than 0 damage it is killed."

This way the allies can show their true base health, and preventable damage (i.e. Dakrath) won't outright kill a creature.

The only real change to how the card works is that cards like Molten Destroyer won't trigger when this is played, but it also makes more sense that bloodstone alter is not working either. Also creatures already damaged could get the bloodstone alter bonus, and you would see why.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    This makes sense
    A member of ETC.
    Creator of boomerang combo deck.
    Likes playing lots of card games.

I had a really awful signature in the past so i changed it.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oggtheman View Post
    This makes sense
    Except it's not functionally the same as Shard of Power. We have cards that reference health value which will be 1 with current implementation and 1 or more with this wording.

Also, if your ally takes more than 1 damage then the extra will be sourced to Shard, which is wrong. The source of the damage needs to have killed the ally, so we get Bloodthirst, Deathbone, etc. triggering correctly.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    Except it's not functionally the same as Shard of Power. We have cards that reference health value which will be 1 with current implementation and 1 or more with this wording.

Also, if your ally takes more than 1 damage then the extra will be sourced to Shard, which is wrong. The source of the damage needs to have killed the ally, so we get Bloodthirst, Deathbone, etc. triggering correctly.
    Annoying rules
    A member of ETC.
    Creator of boomerang combo deck.
    Likes playing lots of card games.

I had a really awful signature in the past so i changed it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    How about this wording then,
    "Friendly allies have +2 attack. If a friendly ally takes more than 0 damage it is killed by the source of damage."

You are right that it still affects, The Bigger they Are or the Harder they Fall... I always forget which one is the health one... but I don't think that it will make much difference with those cards most of the time. It just makes that card slightly more powerful in the rare case that you have an ally, you have The Bigger they Are/Harder they Fall, and your opponent has a healthier ally with the shard in play.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by zookeepre View Post
    ...When you play it, it deals damage and reduces health to 1...
    It doesn't though, it reduces the ally's health to 1, you can confirm with Bloodstone Altar - play Shard with fresh allies you wouldn't gain an extra attack with Altar
    BP Inactive member | IGN: SafOne