Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Angry Update load bar has been a complete and utter waste of my time for more than a year!

so, this update bar?? Why do we even have it if we have to download the latest installer EVERY. SINGLE. UPDATE.

Have you guys even implemented a decent updater? Does it work? Why does it never update something at all?

Just sayin'. Every time i have to go find some small text link to the latest installer to get access to the latest update, i get a strong and ever growing urge to flip my table.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    What platform?

My iPad Air skips the update screen every time (Full progress bar).

On the web client, however, it downloads every time and I think that's due to Chrome cache size which I don't know how to alter. I hear Firefox is better but forget to try it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    What platform?

My iPad Air skips the update screen every time (Full progress bar).

On the web client, however, it downloads every time and I think that's due to Chrome cache size which I don't know how to alter. I hear Firefox is better but forget to try it.
    I think what he's saying is that it makes little sense that you have to update the game's client and then after that, you have to wait for the game to update when you login (hence the mention of the progress bar) despite the fact that you just updated the game already. He also appears to be mentioning that its a bit lame that you have to update the game via a download from a web page rather than an automated update system found in many other games that often update. In fact, there still is rarely an announcement from within the game that it needs to be updated in the first place.
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Demnchi View Post
    I think what he's saying is that it makes little sense that you have to update the game's client and then after that, you have to wait for the game to update when you login (hence the mention of the progress bar) despite the fact that you just updated the game already. He also appears to be mentioning that its a bit lame that you have to update the game via a download from a web page rather than an automated update system found in many other games that often update. In fact, there still is rarely an announcement from within the game that it needs to be updated in the first place.
    Oh. Well this is because the card images and other resources are decoupled from the app, so they get updated within it during that progress bar.

When you update to 2.85, that's only the code of the app being updated, and not the resource pack that includes all the images and sounds and music.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    Oh. Well this is because the card images and other resources are decoupled from the app, so they get updated within it during that progress bar.

When you update to 2.85, that's only the code of the app being updated, and not the resource pack that includes all the images and sounds and music.
    Is there any particular reason this resource pack included in the initial instal? I mean, I can understand the game checking for an updated version every time you login just in case something has changed, but is there any reason why the most updated pack (at the time of making the client available) isn't included with the install?
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Demnchi View Post
    Is there any particular reason this resource pack included in the initial instal? I mean, I can understand the game checking for an updated version every time you login just in case something has changed, but is there any reason why the most updated pack (at the time of making the client available) isn't included with the install?
    So that part is decoupled from Apple, I think. Also, your device SHOULD cache it the first time.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    What Demchi said... lameness all around.

Platform: PC with client install.
    problem: Update load bar has exactly 0 use. Every update needs to be installed manually by going to http://www.shadowera.com/content.php?147-Play and finding the latest shadowera.exe install (28905 in this case). The game also NEVER tells me it is outdated, i have to find out by browsing the forum or facebook, seeing awesome new content announced there, and cross referencing it with my own client only to find out i have exactly NONE of the new content (even after the load bar did some arbitrary extra long loading (fancy graphic to make us feel good???)).

The game has been out for years now, and yet the basic infrastructure it is build on has beta-grade shortcomings...
    Last edited by bytas; 08-27-2014 at 01:25 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Firefox caching: the largest chunk SE downloads got bigger than 50MB, which is more than typical limit for caching.

If you know what you are doing, you can allow caching by typing about:config into the URL bar and setting following preferences (in my case to 100MB max file and 1000MB total)

browser.cache.disk.max_entry_size ..... 102400
    browser.cache.disk.capacity ..... 1024000
    browser.cache.disk.smart_size.enabled ..... false

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by bytas View Post
    What Demchi said... lameness all around.

Platform: PC with client install.
    problem: Update load bar has exactly 0 use. Every update needs to be installed manually by going to http://www.shadowera.com/content.php?147-Play and finding the latest shadowera.exe install (28905 in this case). The game also NEVER tells me it is outdated, i have to find out by browsing the forum or facebook, seeing awesome new content announced there, and cross referencing it with my own client only to find out i have exactly NONE of the new content (even after the load bar did some arbitrary extra long loading (fancy graphic to make us feel good???)).

The game has been out for years now, and yet the basic infrastructure it is build on has beta-grade shortcomings...
    Same issue here, having just started and finding out the game patching each time I opened it (yet never saw the changes I was seeing on my Android) was a little disconcerting!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    @bytas An auto-updater for the PC is a good suggestion and something that we want to include, however the PC standalone version is far less used than all the other platforms that have built-in notification and update functionality. Eventually we want to get the PC version hosted on a distribution site such as Steam that handles the updates nicely.

For the web version, others have mentioned the browser caching issues in this thread, and it's something that we're working on for the near future. Instead of a huge front-end download, you'll download & cache only what you need for the battle with a quick loading screen. It's gotten to the point where there are too many cards to make it practical to download them all for the web version.

Nobody said that being such a cross-platform game was going to be easy!

BTW it isn't downloading, it is just loading in v2.85. Sounds much better, right?