Am I wrong to assume that running apps at higher resolution/larger window size should be preferable? Given extra pixels to work with, I expect UIs to be cleaner and less cluttered, with more whitespace to focus my attention where it should be. Or, if nothing else, a higher-resolution display should simply be a bigger (stretched) version of its low-res counterpart, and work exactly the same.

Can someone explain to me why running Shadow Era at higher resolution turns the app into a steaming heap of a mess? This is what I see when I'm playing Shadow Era:

1024x600 Windowed:
1024x600.jpg

1280x720 Windowed:
1280x720.jpg

Running Shadow Era in fullscreen is a little better than the second example, but it's still an eyesore with it's too-big text and lack of whitespace:

1366x768 (monitor native resolution) Fullscreen:
1366.jpg

Am I the only person experiencing this? Might this be a problem with my desktop settings, rather than the app? Or is this a common issue? The only explanation (rationalization) I can come up with is that the UI scale is being determined by the aspect ratio, rather than the resolution, and to that I can only say: uh, whut?