Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hey here's something simple, if you have a friend or family member who's feeling down, try to help them. If you can, you just might save them and your circle alot of heart ache.

If you have some spare food, give it to a shelter. Better yet go there and work a little bit. Unless you've been homeless, I garruntee it will open your eyes.

If you can help some one , do it.
    A note , a kind word, a meal, a bed for a night.
    The only thing this costs really, is your time and that's truly the one thing we only get a fixed amount of.
    A1 kip thorp
    the daddy daughter team of death
    Proud Graduate of Kiptergarten
    A1-Alliance ~ Evolution in Theory

A1 Alliance LEADER & Crash Test Dummy
    Check out our recruitment thread

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Kip thorp View Post
    Hey here's something simple, if you have a friend or family member who's feeling down, try to help them. If you can, you just might save them and your circle alot of heart ache.
    Getting myself out of my apartment and hanging out with my friends to play games or watch movies kept me alive. Just being there for the person to listen and then taking steps to get them to get help is what needs to be done.
    Kicker of puppies, slasher of babies, and primordial Elder Lich.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Be a friend when needed but be prepared. True suicidal behavior does not telegraph. Most of the warning signs are after the fact. People who appear suicidal are often just crying for help (dont take that negatively, i just dont know a better way to word it) and true suicidal behavior is very hard to spot. If you suspect someone may be struggling let them know you are there but dont destroy yourself with guilt for missing the warning signs. House vs. Kutner was the most realistic suicide Ive seen in movie/tv.

Dont Harass a person who may be suicidal, nothing you say will change their mind. Be supportive where you can. Let them know youwill always be there but dont try and stand in their way beyond expressing your desire for them to stay. If they mean to kill the,selves they will do it no matter what and you risk destroying the friendship over the arguement. This paragraph is my personal view and i will not debate it. Just take it for what it is, it is spoken from experience. Only the suicidal person can make the choice to stay here.

I also didnt mean to be part of a debate over the subject just wanted it known that I blame Big Pharma for his death and to add what little advice I can to others who are struggling with or know someone struggling with depression/suicide. Im willing to answer questions on the topic via pm if you or someone you know is suicidal. I dont offer therapy or promise a compassionate ear or even will I attempt to talk you or the other off the ledge but I can offer experience and facts.

If you need a compassionate ear I recommend your local suicide hotlines. The people working there are amazing listeners and will not only help you through but can become valuable relationships. I still get calls on my birthday since they know I struggle most that time of the year.

My 2cents.
    Misanthropy is the general hatred, distrust or disdain of the human species or human race. The word's origin is from Greek words μῖσος (misos, "hatred") and ἄνθρωπος (anthrōpos, "man, human").

“I expect nothing of man, and disown the race. The only folly is expecting what is never attained; man is most contemptible when compared with his own pretensions. It is better to laugh at man from outside the universe, than to weep for him within.”
    ― H.P. Lovecraft

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Wow, this thread got real deep. Glad I finally made a reply to it yesterday.

I want to echo what some others have said above: If you really want to help someone, start by listening, then keep listening. If you're a habitual problem-solver, this can be very hard to do, but it's essential for you and might be enough for them.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    @misanthropic: All you said is true, I'm no fan of Big Pharma, I know there is to much profit in medications , when it should be ( as much as possible) a pure science dedicated to healing. ( how one does that without resourses I've no idea)
    A1 kip thorp
    the daddy daughter team of death
    Proud Graduate of Kiptergarten
    A1-Alliance ~ Evolution in Theory

A1 Alliance LEADER & Crash Test Dummy
    Check out our recruitment thread

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Completely agree with misanthropic. Also, its not just suicidal behavior. Depression is a mental illness as well that one of my friends has suffered from. The best thing you can do is be there for everyone
    A member of ETC.
    Creator of boomerang combo deck.
    Likes playing lots of card games.

I had a really awful signature in the past so i changed it.