Close

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Done with this game until people stop playing only Amber

Well, this new update has done what I feared it would. With the unbanning of Lythian Sledgehammer, all I ever see are constantly Amber, Amber, Amber over and over again. I refuse to play against anyone who uses Amber now, because I know they will play the Hammer, and without drastically changing my deck or hero I have no way of countering that stupid card.

As much as I hate to criticize the DT, they made a really stupid decision when it came to buffing that card. And I mean really stupid. No card should be that indestructable. It goes against everything I thought this game stood for when it comes to balance. The only way this card would be fair would be if it cost significantly more. Look for example at the only other card that causes something to only be destroyable when its durability hits 0, Lythite Coating. Hardly anyone uses this. Why? Because it takes two cards (the armor and attachment) to pull off, and in anything aside from Vess is gonna cost likely at least 8 resources if you want to do it all in the same turn. Hammer is only one card, and only costs 6, that may seem like a lot, but considering how much damage can be gotten out of it, how easily it can be recycled with Reserve Weapon, and how difficult it is to counter without including specific tech, it's not really that much, and it's just not a fair card.

Also, in this form, its ability to exile the allies it kills is hardly relevant. Why even bother hitting allies when you can just ram the hero constantly? Yes, it'll probably just get to do the exile thing on defense, but it's still silly to have that on there when mostly you'll just hit the hero.

And what's worse, this card mainly only helps one hero, and guess who that is? Amber, the one Warrior hero who certainly didn't need a buff. Have the DT forgotten that Logan exists? Is he never going to get anything to help him? Oh sure, you COULD use Hammer in Logan, but why would you, when you can get so much more out of it as Amber? This is basically akin to Thoughtripper's Cutlass only really helping Garth and Lance, while Serena is pretty much completely forgotten, only on an even worse scale.

So for the good of the game, please DT, please change Sledgehammer. Until you do something about it, I'm done playing this game. I'm not normally the kind of person to complain about this kind of thing, but this one card is just so badly and unfairly designed that I quite honestly think it will really ruin the game and its otherwise good balancing. I just don't want every game to just be one hero always, because that would make the game have no variety and be no fun whatsoever.
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."
    Account for any future SC transfers by Gondorian: BP tman507

Member of PFG3
    Master of Hand-to-hand Combat
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Official Shadow Era Wiki Moderator

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Not played Amber since SF was released might give it a crack now

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I play amber as my main and while it's good to finally see her get some play in SF even I am not impressed with the way that almost all ambers now revolve around getting out hammer, then just staying alive until they eventually pound the enemy hero into dust. From my perspective this is just one more example of how SF is a dangerously unbalanced set.

Having decks revolve around the "I win" card is never a good thing. Amber was pretty unable to compete in SF without hammer, but now we've swing too far the other way. If you're going to make it unkillable drop the durability to 3 or 4 so it becomes the finisher, not the whole strategy
    Last edited by Heidrek Rampant; 08-14-2014 at 05:58 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    DT in their Treebeard voice, "now, now, frustrated players, let's not be hasty."
    Being serious however, to have banned the card from play and then just wait a few months and then put it back in without a change is ridiculous. This card should have ended up on the DT's floor during creation. They obviously had Logan in mind but you have to realize unless you change the weapons available to shadow and human heroes, Amber would have gotten access to it too. Cards like Lythian sledgehammer and Living armor are making players that really like this game leave it for the time being until some balancing issues are taken care of. If your putting Beta on the SF cards that means it's still not finished product yet. Even without artwork finished you can still easily change the wording on these cards. I love this game but with SF I feel like it is about to jump the shark. Sure, you can have everying playing copy cat Amber and Zaladar decks and some people will love it. However, the players who want to create innovative, fresh decks with the less popular heroes are feeling alienated and frustrated with the development of SF and may find something else to play while they wait. It's really sad because it's really just a handful of problem cards that are the problem, yet they are dragging the whole SF set behind them like a 500 lbs. anchor.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Can anyone gives me some insight explanation of why we haven't seen any Amber before this update? Why is she not good any more(without hammer, of cause)? Are there some popular decks that can beat Amber consistently?
    Last edited by chamthabo; 08-14-2014 at 06:08 AM.
    chamthabo
    Sandrider of Arrakis
    Greatness, Reborn

IGN : BP chamthabo

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    so yeah there are 3 decks

amber
    anti amber
    normal from b4 amber

amber > normal
    amber <= anti amber
    normal > anti amber

I aggree i dont like it, boring game now, hammer should only have like 4 durability, or get exiled after its used up, or both, or just get replaced with another weapon because its bad!

edit: bad as in i dont like it.
    Last edited by pjoe0211; 08-14-2014 at 06:30 AM.
    IGN: AO1 Pjoe0211
    Trophy Case
    3rd in first tourny SE tourney ever
    joint winner of 1.27 master tournament
    2nd in crown(9) "Five Classes"
    winner of 7 pop up tourneys
    2nd in 4 pop up tourneys
    2nd in green division 1 season 4
    2nd in TJ ironman challenge tourney

Winner of 12 pop ups
    2nd in 16 pop ups
    Winner of [Beta Server] Every Heros Tournament
    2nd in Gondorian's GR34T tournament
    Winner of [SF] : Extremely Tough Challenge: THE DRAFT

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffoneye
    Being serious however, to have banned the card from play and then just wait a few months and then put it back in without a change is ridiculous.
    I think the reason it was banned was because it was bugged to not even destroy itself when another weapon was played by the player, not because of the balance issue. It did also have the possible issue of being used with Desperate Tactics, that's fixed now, but it doesn't need that D-Tactics combo to be still completely and utterly broken.

And as Heidrek says, if they want to keep it this undestructable, the base durability needs to come way down. Thank goodness at least that Warrior doesn't have access to a card like Skilled Ironmonger, that would be terrible.
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."
    Account for any future SC transfers by Gondorian: BP tman507

Member of PFG3
    Master of Hand-to-hand Combat
    Greatness, Reborn

Official Shadow Era Wiki Moderator

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffoneye View Post
    DT in their Treebeard voice, "now, now, frustrated players, let's not be hasty."
    Being serious however, to have banned the card from play and then just wait a few months and then put it back in without a change is ridiculous. This card should have ended up on the DT's floor during creation. They obviously had Logan in mind but you have to realize unless you change the weapons available to shadow and human heroes, Amber would have gotten access to it too. Cards like Lythian sledgehammer and Living armor are making players that really like this game leave it for the time being until some balancing issues are taken care of. If your putting Beta on the SF cards that means it's still not finished product yet. Even without artwork finished you can still easily change the wording on these cards. I love this game but with SF I feel like it is about to jump the shark. Sure, you can have everying playing copy cat Amber and Zaladar decks and some people will love it. However, the players who want to create innovative, fresh decks with the less popular heroes are feeling alienated and frustrated with the development of SF and may find something else to play while they wait. It's really sad because it's really just a handful of problem cards that are the problem, yet they are dragging the whole SF set behind them like a 500 lbs. anchor.
    it was banned because of a bug, not because of balancing.
    IGN: AO1 Pjoe0211
    Trophy Case
    3rd in first tourny SE tourney ever
    joint winner of 1.27 master tournament
    2nd in crown(9) "Five Classes"
    winner of 7 pop up tourneys
    2nd in 4 pop up tourneys
    2nd in green division 1 season 4
    2nd in TJ ironman challenge tourney

Winner of 12 pop ups
    2nd in 16 pop ups
    Winner of [Beta Server] Every Heros Tournament
    2nd in Gondorian's GR34T tournament
    Winner of [SF] : Extremely Tough Challenge: THE DRAFT

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The DT have done ridiculous cards! Cutlass weapon of Garth, Bloodpack shaman for wulven and Sledgehammer for Amber,,,

3 critical mistakes in my opionion from DT that should never existed
    Master of Puppets
    Greatness, Reborn

Check SE No 1 Guild

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Zaladar rush eats amber, likewise banebow undead. In fact any undead deck that packs grave resistance will do it as her main advantage is weapon damage. She auto folds to moonstaller too.

JD pumped only does 3 damage and shadows now have 4 hp allies from t2 onwards.....she's just not able to compete with the main decks in SF